Russell and Bill Mayer Seat Height - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 27th, 2007, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Russell and Bill Mayer Seat Height

I wanted to ask those of you out there who have a stock Russell seat whether the height was the same or higher or lower than the stock seat. I don't want to have my knees any more flexed than they are on the stock seat (2006 LT).

I've finally decided to go with a custom seat so I can enjoy the longer rides and the seat poll appears to indicate that the Bill Mayer and Russell are the ones people are most likely to purchase again.

Thanks for any input.

Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 27th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Hi Billy,

my Russell seat is / feels slightly higher than stock. That is partly due to the different shape of the seat edges or wings.

If you take pics of you sitting on the bike in riding position and send them to Russell they will be make the seat accordingly. In fact, I have understood that they actually require the pics. Plus you can always ask them to make a taller seat, too.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old May 27th, 2007, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. Do the wings get in the way at all with your legs when you are at a stop?

post #4 of 15 Old May 27th, 2007, 10:07 pm

Talking Love the Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
I wanted to ask those of you out there who have a stock Russell seat whether the height was the same or higher or lower than the stock seat. I don't want to have my knees any more flexed than they are on the stock seat (2006 LT).

I've finally decided to go with a custom seat so I can enjoy the longer rides and the seat poll appears to indicate that the Bill Mayer and Russell are the ones people are most likely to purchase again.

Thanks for any input.

Billy
William,

I'm sorry, but there is no "stock Russell seat". All Russell's are custom made for YOU the purchaser. My Russell did lift me a bit higher than the stock seat in it's high position, but this is WONDERFUL as I am tall! Now my hip sockets are not in a jam. It kinda feels like I'm riding a GS Adventure, at leat as far as my footpeg-seat relationship. Big Smile! Built just for me! Two Big Smiles! Best money that I've spent on my LT so far!

The Russell has a wide back. Some call it "wings". This is the magic formula that makes it a "day long" seat. I love it! In order to place both feet flat on the ground, when coming to a stop, I slide about one-half inch forward. This gives my legs more room to go down past the "wings". This is really no concern. I don't mind it at all, because my butt is happy! Even sitting back on the "wings", I can still stop, but have to tippy-toe a little.

If you are a "big boy" like me (over 230 lbs) the Russell is the best way to save your butt! Ha!
post #5 of 15 Old May 27th, 2007, 10:44 pm

Russell Seat

I've been riding Russell seats since back in '78, before Russell bought the rights from the original Bill Mayer. You will find a lot of them in the LD comunity. You will almost Never find one for sale used. Nuff said? I doubt if I'd be quite as happy if I only rode around town, as the extra width can be noticed at stop lights. So I don't do that!
post #6 of 15 Old May 28th, 2007, 12:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Thanks. Do the wings get in the way at all with your legs when you are at a stop?
As Warden already explained in his post, one has to slide slightly forward in order to reach ground properly. But don't let that scare you! You get used to that in three minutes.
It is a great seat, no questions about it.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #7 of 15 Old May 28th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Just got mine back from Russell

I just got my seat back from Russell. I have been riding with the stock seat in the high position. When I talked to russell they said they would build my seat up in the low position to the high position or greater which ever was needed. I am going to get one of there backrests and the drivers seat needs to be in the low position to work with there back rest so keep that in mind. Mine is higher and that was based on the pictures I sent them with my order.
post #8 of 15 Old May 28th, 2007, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

So now the low position of your Russell seat is at the height of the high position of your old stock seat?
post #9 of 15 Old May 28th, 2007, 6:46 pm

I asked them to make my Bill Mayer seat an inch higher to give me more leg room. The Russell I just had installed on my GS puts me about 1/2 inch higher than stock.
post #10 of 15 Old May 28th, 2007, 8:18 pm

I just received my Russell seat, and as on here have said, it is a little taller because of the "wings", but when you slide about a 1/2 inch forward, your feet are actually about the same as before. I only have about 300 miles on the seat thus far, but I love it. So much better than the stock seat. I would have no problem recommending it.
post #11 of 15 Old May 28th, 2007, 8:24 pm

I just installed a new "Day-Long Saddle" on my 06 K1200 on Thursday. I put over 500 miles on it over the weekend and it's the best. On the OEM seat after about a 100 miles I was all over the place trying to find a comfortable riding position. Once I got the backrest adjust to my riding position the only reason I would stop riding it for fuel or to take a picture. Yes it seems a bit higher that the stock seat but I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam and have no trouble getting my feet on the ground. You just put you feet down and slip forward a tad bit and you are there. He did build mine up because in both the low and the high position on the stock seat I was always sliding forward. for me it was money well spent.

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #12 of 15 Old May 29th, 2007, 6:40 am

low now high

Billy that is correct. The seat set on the low position is now a little higher then the stock seat was set on the high position.
post #13 of 15 Old May 29th, 2007, 7:33 am Thread Starter

Thanks, that's just what I want actually.

Billy
post #14 of 15 Old May 29th, 2007, 8:48 am

slide forward

Make sure they cut it so you aren't shoved forward all the time. Mine still slides me forward so if it continues after the break in period I may have to send it back for modification.
post #15 of 15 Old May 29th, 2007, 9:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferggie
Make sure they cut it so you aren't shoved forward all the time. Mine still slides me forward so if it continues after the break in period I may have to send it back for modification.
Another tip, on the Russell, don't sit completely at the rear of the seat. You should be about one inch away from the rear vertical part of the seat. I hope this will help..good luck

I believe that it states this in the instructions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in