Picture of Battery Compartment - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 27th, 2007, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Picture of Battery Compartment

Does anyone have a picture looking down into the battery compartment? I remember seeing one that was used to locate the brown wire, but after much searching, no luck. There's a LOT of info on that brown wire! I just got my bike back from the dealer, but it appears some items have been missed, the battery cover is missing, and there is a strange electrical component which is just hanging into the compartment, near the rear shock adjuster that I don't remember seeing before - it kinda looks like a blinker relay.
I'm trying to figure out where that goes so it doesn't drop down and hang by it's wires in the bottom of the bike.

Thanks for any help!

Kevin

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 27th, 2007, 12:04 pm

Would this help?
http://www.ccmotorcycles.com/kboxorder.htm

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old May 27th, 2007, 12:28 pm

That "strange electrical component" just dangling may be the connector for the GT-1 (BMW's diag computer). There should be a caddy nearby that it snaps into. Just a guess...

I'll try to dig up a picture of the mystery and elusive Brown wire. It's taped to the bottom of the right frame-rail that runs right next to the battery. I suggest installing a simple switch on it so you can experiment with it in both positions. Just remember to shut the bike OFF before switching it.

post #4 of 7 Old May 27th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Exclamation Found a pic (or 2)

When in doubt, search the archived list! CLICK
post #5 of 7 Old May 27th, 2007, 3:10 pm
was

Hey, Kevin, I can't remember what year your bike is. The only reason I'm bringing it up is that early bikes, like my '99, did not have the brown wire. When I first got my bike and read about the brown wire I searched for hours (well, not consecutive hours, I don't have that long an attention span), here there and everywhere. If you have one, Joe's pic will show you where.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #6 of 7 Old May 27th, 2007, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

Thanks both you guys rock! I forgot about searching the archives, but those are the pics I remember seeing. See that grey knob in the first pic? That's what is hanging free. It looks like it is in the pic too, but I don't remember ever seeing it before now. I'm sure it has to go somewhere, I'll have to take a close look tomorrow to see where it goes.
I put on about 200miles today close to home, (just in case) and she ran Greeeat! Feels gooooood to be back in the saddle! Bill, I think Jim and I may try to hook up tomorrow, although I'm not sure. If you want, PM me and I'll give you my cell if you're into riding.

Kevin

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #7 of 7 Old May 27th, 2007, 9:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Kevin,

In the first picture the diagnostic port IS in its retaining clip. It is a snap in semi-circle retainer.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in