CB radio question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 27th, 2007, 6:45 am Thread Starter

CB radio question

I have recently sold my 99 LT and purchased a clean low mileage 2003 which has the com system installed along with everything to use the CB radio except the radio itself. According to the manual it would be a Midland 75-830 hand held which lays in the tray in front of the driver and attaches to the pigtails which are present there, I have searched the internet and it seems that model may have been discontinued. Currently Midland has available a model 75-822 which seems to be intended for the same type of use but there is no information that leads me to believe that it will connect to the pigtails already installed in this bike and work OK.
So that brings me to the obvious question, is there anyone here that has used the 75-822 in place of the 75-830 and did it work OK?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give
Jim Davis
Floral City, Fl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:45 pm

Cb 75-822

You know I have the same question. I think the 822 is the same but would like to know where I find the cables to connect to the comm system.

I currently use a GMRS and have that cable to connect and it works great and I use my PTT button installed by the left handle grip.

I hope the CB will work the same but I am not sure.

OK guys time for some insight here

Later

Steve A
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 2:33 pm

what is a pigtail?

For power?
Voltage would be the same. Only question is if the Midland Radios use the same connector as your pigtail: is if the polarity is the same? The polarity of the radios should be marked in the owners manual. Sure would cause lota problems is Midland used the same connector, and changed polarity! POOF!

If you aren't sure on the pigtail's polarity, just use a multitestor on the DC scale.

If you still aren't sure, post pix for us?

Pigtail pix.
Input on the rasio pix.

Bob

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 5:25 pm Thread Starter

Insight???

Well being the kinda fella I am I decided to go down to Wal Mart and purchase a 822 (they sell them in the sporting goods department) and then to Radio Shack to get some parts and wire that sucker in. All I can say about that is DON'T FOLLOW IN MY FOOTSTEPS! I was not able to get it too work. In the meantime I had sent an e-mail to J&M to see if they could shed any light on the subject and John sent me back an e-mail to tell me that the radio they used as a part of this intercom was modified internally to work with the system and if I did not have the original I should buy the one from BMW. He says that it is engineered specifically to replace these units and will work flawlessly.

I think I will take his advice.

Thanks to everyone who looked and thought about this problem and I know there are others of you who have the same problem so I guess we will have to spend the bucks and be happy.

Jim

Ya know this is an irritating thing, most all of the other bikes in this class have great CB systems on board and you can get parts and service for them but they just don't measure up otherwise to the LT so taken in that context it will be a small price to pay to finish out an otherwise fabulous machine!
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 5:32 pm

I wish I had seen this before the purchase. I have had both radios installed in LT's with the J&M comm system in them. The speaker and mic jacks on these 2 radios are reversed....therefore they require different harnesses to connect to the comm system.

I am not sure if you could make an adapter that would allow you to switch the jacks.

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

adapter

Ron
I was able to get the 822 to work in the bike, I had to feed the audio to the aux plug which put it in the left earpiece in my helmet which is OK I wired the mic and PTT through the pre-existing harness and lo and behold it worked. reception was OK, transmission was clear and the installed PTT on the handlebar triggered it OK. But then I started the motor, I had LOTS of electrical noise, not what I had in mind.
I spent an afternoon playing with it before I decided that the effort was going to furnish me with a system that did not work up to par. I want a system that works as good as the one on my Harley that is one fine com system, so anyhow I have thrown in the towel and will buy the J&M unit from BMW soon.

Thanks
Jim
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:42 am

I have the J&M handlebar mounted CB. It works great but was a little on the pricey side if I remember correctly. It was very easy to install also. On problem I read about the Midland CBs were that when you turned the bike off the channel went back to 1 (or some other channel, I don't remember which) because the power was cut off from the radio. Also, with the handlebar mount I don't take up all of the room under the stingray. If anyone is going to the Biltmore rally I would be happy to provide a demo. I'll be camping onsite with the kids.
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 4th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Maybe the modification was filtering to remove the noise entering the DC line to the CB?
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 2:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
I am not sure if you could make an adapter that would allow you to switch the jacks.

Ron
Flexible cables instead of the solid style? 2 separate extensions if you will.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in