Spongy brakes on the Y2K LT??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 25th, 2007, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

Spongy brakes on the Y2K LT???

I need some help getting these front brakes back to factory firmness.

FACTS:
Bike has 21K. System is the original Brembo system. Pulled the calipers and the pads have plenty of the lining "wear lines" left. I have used my handheld bleeder pump and drawn fresh Dot 4 down both lines from the reservoir (it never went dry, so no bubbles sucked into the system). The brake can be firmed up if pumped once. I bought a livestock syringe and tried to push fluid the other direction to get the air to rise out of the system. Still needs one pump to get it firmed up while riding. I am on the furthest lever setting and can draw the lever all the way to the throttle grip. I thought maybe a leak, but no evidence of fluid on the floor and the reservoir remains full. Did a check of the ABS at speed and it works just fine. Is there a secret step I am missing in regards to the ABS loop or something? Done lots of brake bleeds on non ABS systems with no problems. I'm stumped!!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 25th, 2007, 9:15 pm

You're drawing air thru the threads of the bleeders. Try some silicone tape or spreading some grease around the base of the bleeder.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old May 26th, 2007, 11:38 am

I've had much the same problem. Even though your ABS seems to be working, try bleeding the ABS unit itself. After bleeding the front calipers bleed the front bleeder on the ABS unit. Then after bleeding the rear caliper bleed the rear bleeder on the ABS unit. I got tons of air from the ABS unit just this last service. I hadn't bled the ABS unit since I bought the bike new. It's something I'll do every year now. After doing this on Tarkus my brakes are back to being very firm without the need to "pump them up". HTH.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."

post #4 of 12 Old May 26th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
I need some help getting these front brakes back to factory firmness.

FACTS:
Bike has 21K. System is the original Brembo system. Pulled the calipers and the pads have plenty of the lining "wear lines" left. I have used my handheld bleeder pump and drawn fresh Dot 4 down both lines from the reservoir (it never went dry, so no bubbles sucked into the system). The brake can be firmed up if pumped once. I bought a livestock syringe and tried to push fluid the other direction to get the air to rise out of the system. Still needs one pump to get it firmed up while riding. I am on the furthest lever setting and can draw the lever all the way to the throttle grip. I thought maybe a leak, but no evidence of fluid on the floor and the reservoir remains full. Did a check of the ABS at speed and it works just fine. Is there a secret step I am missing in regards to the ABS loop or something? Done lots of brake bleeds on non ABS systems with no problems. I'm stumped!!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
You drained the wheel circuit the front brake master cylinder is the control circuit BMW ABS is not like your Honda civic etc trailer your bike to the dealer for A brake flush unless someone close to you can help you out
post #5 of 12 Old May 26th, 2007, 3:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

He's OK this is not an integral system with two circuits, just the older ABS II system. Do what Matt suggested and you will be fine.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 12 Old May 26th, 2007, 5:33 pm
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
He's OK this is not an integral system with two circuits, just the older ABS II system. Do what Matt suggested and you will be fine.
+1, but also follow Grif's suggestion, and my .02 would be to get rid of the pump. Use the brake lever, make sure that the fluid never gets below 1/4 in the reservoir, put a hose on the bleeder, stick the end of the hose in fresh brake fluid in a little bottle, double check that there is no air at the calipers, then hit the ABS front bleeder. This was the only way that I could properly bleed the system.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #7 of 12 Old May 26th, 2007, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
+1, but also follow Grif's suggestion, and my .02 would be to get rid of the pump. Use the brake lever, make sure that the fluid never gets below 1/4 in the reservoir, put a hose on the bleeder, stick the end of the hose in fresh brake fluid in a little bottle, double check that there is no air at the calipers, then hit the ABS front bleeder. This was the only way that I could properly bleed the system.
Thanks guys. What is the order to the bleeding? i.e. Do I bleed the left front caliper, then the right, and finally the ABS pump? Do I pump the brake lever on each bleed terminal?
post #8 of 12 Old May 26th, 2007, 8:25 pm
was

Yep, left caliper, right caliper, ABS. If you are going to use the brake lever to pump, put plastic all around the reservoir and the switches and below the reservoir so you don't drip on painted parts. Turn the handlebars to full left lock to level the reservoir. Remove the top of the reservoir, remove the bellows, put brake fluid in the reservoir to about 3/8 inch from the top, and put the top back on but don't screw it in. Every time you pull the brake lever some fluid will spurt up from the hole in the bottom of the reservoir, so the top keeps it from jetting out onto you or your bike. Put a box end wrench on the bleed screw, put the tubing on the end of the bleed screw, sink the other end of the tubing into new brake fluid (DOT 4 only, please), pull the lever, crack open the bleeder, watch to see if bubbles are going thru the tubing, close the bleeder before releasing the lever, release the lever, check brake fluid level in reservoir, add fluid, put top back on, and repeat.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #9 of 12 Old May 26th, 2007, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

This time I used the Mity Vac. Still get the sponge. Here's what I did. Levelled the reservoir as always on the handle bars. Pumped the brake up to get a solid pull, then opened the reservoir gently to be sure again NOT to spill. Hooked up the mity vac to the front ABS bleeder. Pumped the mity vac to start suction, then opened the bleed screw 1/2 turn. The vac reservior started filling, but continued to get bubbles in the hose though I know it was drawing fluid (brake res was lowering. WHY AM I GETTING BUBBLES IN THE CLEAR DRAW HOSE? I tried to close the bleed nipple a bit, but the bubbles just get smaller. The hose end over the nipple itself is good and snug!!

GOING NUTS!!! I can do just about everything on this bike myself, but the brakes are stumping me.
post #10 of 12 Old May 26th, 2007, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
This time I used the Mity Vac. Still get the sponge. Here's what I did. Levelled the reservoir as always on the handle bars. Pumped the brake up to get a solid pull, then opened the reservoir gently to be sure again NOT to spill. Hooked up the mity vac to the front ABS bleeder. Pumped the mity vac to start suction, then opened the bleed screw 1/2 turn. The vac reservior started filling, but continued to get bubbles in the hose though I know it was drawing fluid (brake res was lowering. WHY AM I GETTING BUBBLES IN THE CLEAR DRAW HOSE? I tried to close the bleed nipple a bit, but the bubbles just get smaller. The hose end over the nipple itself is good and snug!!

GOING NUTS!!! I can do just about everything on this bike myself, but the brakes are stumping me.
You're drawing air thru the bleeder threads.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 12 Old May 26th, 2007, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
You're drawing air thru the bleeder threads.
Yep, and per your suggestion I greased around the screw and it sealed it. I'll bet the techs at the dealer had the same problem last year when they "supposedly" bled the brakes for me. They never got the sponge completely out!!
post #12 of 12 Old May 27th, 2007, 8:44 am Thread Starter

Test rode this morning and it's about 90% of the original bike brake feel. I may try bleeding the ABS module one more time. Appreciate all your help guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in