Two trunk discoveries- one bad, the other-? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Two trunk discoveries- one bad, the other-?

2005 K1200LT....

When opening my trunk today I heard a crack when it got fully open. I pulled out the trunk tray and found that the plastic hole that the pin goes in is broken. This is the pin the strap goes to that holds the trunk open. It also looks like this plastic part is part of the trunk bottom itself, and to be replaced, means that the hold trunk bottom has to be replaced. Anyone have any experience with this? (I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow as the bike is under warranty still, but expect to be told they can't do anything.)

Also, while I was in there I found a wire going to the lock mechanism for the trunk. There is a lever there that is electrically operated and when slid, the trunk is locked. I do not have (to my knowledge) any way to operate this electrically. If I purchased a bike with remote locks, how would I know, if I did not have the remote? And if I do not have remote locking feature, how could I add it?

Thanks in advance,
Skip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipI
2005 K1200LT....

When opening my trunk today I heard a crack when it got fully open. I pulled out the trunk tray and found that the plastic hole that the pin goes in is broken. This is the pin the strap goes to that holds the trunk open. It also looks like this plastic part is part of the trunk bottom itself, and to be replaced, means that the hold trunk bottom has to be replaced. Anyone have any experience with this? (I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow as the bike is under warranty still, but expect to be told they can't do anything.)
Yes, I had this happen on my '01, (way out of warranty). Since I didn't like the idea of buying the lower trunk piece, and since I suspected I would do it again, (I carry a little too much weight in a trunk bag at times), I did a ghetto mod: I drilled a hole all the way through the fiberglass. I made a metal strap that I attached to the inner case and drilled a hole in it as well. Then I inserted a 5 mm bolt all the way through and put a lock nut on the inside. I did, however, paint the bolt heald the same color as the bike

I can't help with the other question, I'm still living, (riding), in the dark ages, sans power centerstand, etc.

GB

Last edited by DaveDragon; May 26th, 2007 at 2:22 pm.
post #3 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 7:14 pm

I have just the opposite problem. My bike has central locking, but they installed the wrong top case, and so everything locks but the trunk! One of the local dealers, who has tried to BS me before, told me BMW would not warranty it and that he would make me a deal on a new case. I contacted another dealer (non-local) and they said if I got the bike there that they would take care of it for me.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 10:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have seen them replace the trunk bottom for the broken retainer under warranty. I just used a bit of J B Weld and fixed it myself (that was almost 3 years ago). I have the backup back rest now and use it, tilted up to support the trunk lid and I am just real careful when I open it. The actuator is a simple motor fed by 12 volts. Momentarily apply the juice in one direction and it will lock, reverse the connection and it will unlock. I don't think I have seen an 05 and up that did not have the alarm/central locking option. You have no FOBs?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I have seen them replace the trunk bottom for the broken retainer under warranty. I just used a bit of J B Weld and fixed it myself (that was almost 3 years ago). I have the backup back rest now and use it, tilted up to support the trunk lid and I am just real careful when I open it. The actuator is a simple motor fed by 12 volts. Momentarily apply the juice in one direction and it will lock, reverse the connection and it will unlock. I don't think I have seen an 05 and up that did not have the alarm/central locking option. You have no FOBs?
Nope, the bike did not come with a FOB. Is there a way to tell if the alarm is installed?

Skip
post #6 of 11 Old May 26th, 2007, 2:21 am

Skip,

Sorry about the "afterwards wisdom" but an easy preventive action against cracking the pin surroundings is to shorten the strap so that the lid will not open so far forward as it does.
I have seen this happen to others as well so I simply took my wife's sewing kit and made a second loop at the end of the strap and now the trunk lid opens just a liitle over 90 degrees. Enough to stay open but not enough to gain momentum to brake plastic arond the pin.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #7 of 11 Old May 26th, 2007, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipI
Nope, the bike did not come with a FOB. Is there a way to tell if the alarm is installed?

Skip
Did you buy it new? I have not seen an '05 without central locking. Any dealer should be able to tell you what the bike came with originally if you gave them the VIN.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #8 of 11 Old May 26th, 2007, 8:54 am
Gold Supporter

I got mine fixed for free

I had the same problem the lids retaining band broke the pin off on the bottom of the trunk when we opened it one day. When we were told it would normally cost $900 for a new trunk or he could fix it under warrantee we chose the latter. FREE repair while under BMW warrantee. We have been careful ever since not to allow the lid to drop open.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #9 of 11 Old May 26th, 2007, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Smile

Well, I went to the dealer today and they are going to replace the trunk bottom under warranty. Also, they researched the VIN number and it does have central locking/security system installed. When I take it in for the trunk work, they are going to get me a FOB and set it up!
post #10 of 11 Old May 26th, 2007, 3:54 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Skip,

Sounds like a win win situation, glad you have a good dealer.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 11 Old May 28th, 2007, 3:54 pm

I think the FOBs are pretty expensive to buy. My 05 came with two so you might suggest they give you two as well.

2011 BMW 1600GTL
2000 BMW R1100R
2008 Burgman 650EX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in