Du - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 25th, 2007, 4:49 pm Thread Starter

Du

Droppers 'U'nanonymous

OK, several people have dropped their LT's at low speed/stopped/not even on it, a few (very unfortunate) have been T-boned, rear-ended or generally carved up - anyone want to admit to loosing an LT, all by themselves, at high(ish) speed - what happened, and why ??

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 25th, 2007, 5:32 pm

Thumbs up Good thread!

I know of a few guys that crashed their LTs during moments of having a brainfart. I'm more than a bit curious to see if any will contribute to your thread.

In '95, I crashed a Honda V65 into a cement barrier at 55mph. In retrospect, total and utter operator error! Mine all mine. Let's see how many fellow LT'ers have the guts to admit something like that.
post #3 of 14 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Red face

In 04' while riding down I-80 with a "buddy" thru a construction zone lined with the big orange barrels with high winds on a Sunday afternoon. He was in front and decided to play slolomn with the barrels. I was zoned out somewhere else, he hit a barrel with his r-hand tipped it over and the wind caught it perfectly and flung it into my bike. I found out very quickly that those barrels collapse and allow the front tire to ride them like a ski on marbles!!! Down i went my bike beside me (04' Roadstar) sliding down the interstate (about 55-60mph at impact w/the pavement) . All i could think about was that 18 Wheeler we had just passed before entering the construction zone . Lucky for me he had obeyed the speed limit. Had all of my leather on and still got some road rash. Bike suffered windshield, bags and crashbar damage. After wiping myself and threatening many times to kill my buddy we rode on to Wendover for the benefit we were attending. Sore the next day or six but not as bad as i would have imagined. Buddy had about an $1100.00 outlay

post #4 of 14 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I know of a few guys that crashed their LTs during moments of having a brainfart. I'm more than a bit curious to see if any will contribute to your thread.

In '95, I crashed a Honda V65 into a cement barrier at 55mph. In retrospect, total and utter operator error! Mine all mine. Let's see how many fellow LT'ers have the guts to admit something like that.
Glossary: "brainfart" = "Cognitive Flatulence"

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 14 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:51 pm

AMEN Brother !!!
post #6 of 14 Old May 25th, 2007, 8:06 pm

Well, I have totaled two LTs.

The first one was at about 45 MPH, best my doctor can guess is that I got dehydrated, stopped for lunch and only had fries and a Coke. She said that was about the worst thing I could have done, salt and caffeine. About 10 minutes later I was waiting on the ambulance, with 5 broken ribs, three fractured vertebrae, a shattered shoulder, and hemmoraged retinas. The worst injury accident of my life.

The second one I still do not know what the heck happened! Something distracted me, or I just "phased out" for a couple seconds, and ran off the main pavement onto the paved shoulder of Interstate 8, near Gila Bend, AZ. Unfortunately I hit the only torn up spot of the shoulder for miles, and went down on the highway at over 80 MPH! After getting out of the hospital in Phoenix, my wife and I went back by the spot on the way back home to San Diego, and the torn up spot was the only bad section of the shoulder for MILES! If not for that bad spot I likely would just have slowed down and got back onto the main pavement when clear. Luck of the draw I guess. I tumbled down the pavement for about 75 yards according to witnesses. Did not even loose consciousness, unlike the first accident. Broke bones in my left hand, and a couple broken ribs, a little road rash on my nose and upper lip, but came out pretty well considering the viciousness of the accident. It has been 2 1/2 years since, and I STILL am sad to have lost the bike. It was my best friend. Did not even get to tell it goodbye!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 14 Old May 25th, 2007, 8:06 pm

I went down at 65 mph on a straight road. Granted it was raining, 48 degrees and the sun was just coming up.

The bike's rear stepped out with the rpm's going up, I gave her more throttle and bumped the bars. It kicked the other way and I repeated. The bike swapped ends and I was riding backwards for a bit, which I thought was purdy kewl.

We went down and slid and slid and slid. Since I was right next to her, the edge of the road was coming up, I didn't want to get in a tumble fest with 900lbs., I kicked away from her and in the process sprained the right ankle (left ankle is fused). Before hitting the roadside I crossed my arms and we slid up a grassy incline.

I could have ridden her if the right side of the handlebar hadn't folded under. I would've have only had a sprained ankle if I hadn't found a grapefruit size rock on the side of the road. Smashed out some left ribs and 16 months later still have a hole in the rib cage that you can stick a fist in. No road rash and the suit wasn't even tore or abraided. I reckon it was because I was wet from the rain and, oh yeah, the oil spill in the road.

Confession enough? I'll say 5 mea culpe's.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 14 Old May 25th, 2007, 11:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Confession enough? I'll say 5 mea culpe's.
Don't forget an act of contrition.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 14 Old May 26th, 2007, 2:51 am

It was in the year of 19 and 84. One and only bad (being stupid) bike wreck for me, , , Lord willin, the last. Riding a Kawasaki Spectra (nice bike) runnin late for work on one of those good (?) East Texas roads that had just been freshly tarred and rocked. Had my leather jacket strapped on the back seat doin about 85 when the sleeve worked loose and wrapped up the rear wheel. I kept it upright while I slid what seemed forever, then she got sideways on me at about 15 or 20 mph and tossed me like a bad burrito. Broke my wrist and some really bad road rash. All I had was light short sleave shirt and blue jeans, but helmet saved my worthless bean. Bike had minor damage, broke add on wind shield. Sold and went bikeless for about 18 years. Momma said . . . . But, life is good now. Two beemers and still the same wife. I learned a great deal of respect for gravity. Still do, cause everything I had in chest and upper body area now resides down around the middle. . . . Happy holidays.
Cheers,

1998 R1100RT
2000 YZF600R

:
post #10 of 14 Old May 26th, 2007, 5:59 am

Speaking personally, all these stories are putting me off my next ride.

Could we spare the details please ??!!.
post #11 of 14 Old May 26th, 2007, 8:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Speaking personally, all these stories are putting me off my next ride.

Could we spare the details please ??!!.
But, but, but.... we was asked! That was my only BMW crash, I haven't mentioned any of the others.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 14 Old May 26th, 2007, 10:34 am

Don´t tell me.......................please !!!
post #13 of 14 Old May 26th, 2007, 12:35 pm
Cat Herder

Wrecked LT

Twas a nice late summer evening in the year of the lord 2004, September 14th I believe. When this 18 wheeler decided that he had to be in the same spot I was at the time. The LT got cut in half (length wise), the crank case got smashed in. (Hint: look where the crank case is and where the riders footpegs are)

I'm gonna spare you the pics. Sad thing, I did not get to say goodbuy to a good friend. a friend that kept me company for 60k miles and was at the height of his life.
post #14 of 14 Old May 26th, 2007, 1:21 pm

Post simoncharles Speaking personally, all these stories are putting me off my next ride.

Ya know its a funny thing, we wreck our bikes and our bodies and keep coming back for more. Not with that intent of course, but that we love to ride and to live...car wrecks, m/c wrecks, horse wrecks, dropping dead on the basketball court etc...we can dwell on any of it and let fear keep us down but we all know that not one of us is going to get out of here alive, wherever, whenever the Lord says come home that will be that. Personaly I discovered giving myself over to Him instantly made me ready to go and that was the first step to living, for me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in