Will the LT make the Haul Road?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old May 25th, 2007, 3:02 pm Thread Starter

Will the LT make the Haul Road??

Ya or nah. The haul road for some that do not know is the road that goes from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and is all gravel. Some say yes so say no. Which is it?? I want to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old May 25th, 2007, 4:00 pm

Depends on the weather and it can turn ugly quick - crap shoot.

If it's dry have at it but if it gets wet at all it would be a huge challenge the roads turn into kind of like greased snot.

Head over to thr Great White North forum on ADVrider dot com

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old May 25th, 2007, 4:00 pm

Maybe, if it is dry. I would not attempt if it is raining. Be very, very careful with a bike of the LT's weight.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN

post #4 of 18 Old May 25th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning
If it's dry have at it but if it gets wet at all it would be a huge challenge the roads turn into kind of like greased snot.
If it's worse than that sugar-sand that John likes dropping his bike in so much, he's SCREWED!
post #5 of 18 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:05 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Ya or nah. The haul road for some that do not know is the road that goes from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and is all gravel. Some say yes so say no. Which is it?? I want to know.

Actually, the Haul road is not all gravel. When I rode it on the '01 Iron Butt, it was about 35 to 40% chip sealed. They were working on chip-sealing the rest, which made for some terrible conditions in the construction zones. A friend of mine, who was up there in '03, told me it was in a lot better shape than in '01. That being said, I concur with the other posters; if it's raining, any of the gravel sections will be a crap shoot. But hell, that's the definition of adventure, right? For what it's worth, if Deadhorse is a doable bonus on this year's 'Butt, I'll be heading north!

GB
post #6 of 18 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:06 pm

Quote:
The bike will, It's all up to the pilot ! That being said the forcast may be dry but shit happends.
Good Luck!

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

Last edited by murray; May 25th, 2007 at 6:11 pm.
post #7 of 18 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

I am going for it.

Joe,
Dropped it only once and I did not wuss out and buy a light bike.
post #8 of 18 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:25 pm

Yeah.. ride it.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old May 25th, 2007, 7:00 pm

Go to the BMWON magazine for March 2007 read the story of Doug Raymond.
HOW NOT TO RIDE THE HAUL ROAD.
Starts on page 52.

I know Doug, an you can belive every word.

If you wish to e-mail doug, PM me and I will give you his address.

IMHO, the LT is to big a bike for that trip.

Having said that, if I were 30 years younger, that challenge would have to be taken!
post #10 of 18 Old May 25th, 2007, 7:04 pm

Go for it!

Just for the record, Asa McFadden rode a brand new LT up to Deadhorse and back on the first leg of the '01 Iron Butt. He told me he thought he was better off than the guys on the GSs because the LT's center of gravity was lower and he could reach the ground better on the LT.

GB
post #11 of 18 Old May 25th, 2007, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Joe,
Dropped it only once and I did not wuss out and buy a light bike.
Yea...you best stick with LTs and RTs. You couldn't handle the HP of a bike like the GT. Besides, just how much power does one need to ride in parking lots and parades?
post #12 of 18 Old May 26th, 2007, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
The bike will, It's all up to the pilot ! That being said the forcast may be dry but shit happends.
Good Luck!
This is correct, Terry did it on a full dress pig pulling a trailer, (he did dump once at very low speed in deep gravel) It is all up to the rider.
If it gets sloppy, slow ride parade style, rev's up, back brake, slight drag, feather clutch, NO FRONT BRAKE.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #13 of 18 Old May 26th, 2007, 11:14 am

I've ridden my LT at 70 mph on smooth, straight dirt/light gravel roads balancing on my toes while keeping a light grip with no problems. If you are forced to ride slow and in deep gravel it will be HELL. Mud would be a nightmare.

One thing I might recommend is building an inexpensive mud flap/extension for the front fender to keep your chin spoiler and underbelly from getting trashed.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=7&vc=1

I ended up using black plastic "Christmas tree" serrated fasteners to attach them instead of the rivets and bolts, looks better and will not corrode over time,

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 18 Old May 26th, 2007, 11:33 am

I personally wouldn't do it. But if you do, I sure would practice picking up the LT by yourself before you ventured out....
post #15 of 18 Old May 26th, 2007, 1:37 pm

I lived in Alaska for 21 years and rode the Haul Road 3 times, one on a GS and twice in a Triumph Tiger. Yup, the road is getting "better" (?) but it's still not to be trifled with. You'd best be able to pick your bike up by yourself (or bring help!) and you better be able to repair a flat tire. I had 3 flats in one day, one caused by a drywall screw where you shouldn't see a drywall screw!

You might want to pare down the luggage and leave the top box in Fairbanks. If it's raining, it's no fun no matter what type of bike you have.

The truckers are pretty good folk. They do seem to try to give as much room as they can. My issue was/is with the folks in motorhomes or pickup trucks trying to make time.

Bring a camera and lots of batteries. It's a vista that you'll NEVER forget.

Darrell

Darrell

'00 BMWK1200LT
'05 Triumph Tiger
IBA #16091
BMW-MOA #125320
post #16 of 18 Old May 26th, 2007, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

I am getting more yeses. Sweet.

I have picked up many of bikes, on asphalt, dirt, mud etc......... Police motor instructor, so picking up the LT is should be no big deal. Riding with two others, so if help is needed, got it. I bought a tire gun repair kit from Whitehorse. Debiting to buy a spray on bra, then again I may want the battle scares. Packing light. 4 riding pants and 8 of everything else, plus the heated stuff. Pants and vest.

Man, can not wait to go!!!!!!!!!!! 12 more days and counting. I should count the hours and minutes too.
post #17 of 18 Old May 26th, 2007, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Did you read the other post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Yea...you best stick with LTs and RTs. You couldn't handle the HP of a bike like the GT. Besides, just how much power does one need to ride in parking lots and parades?
Joe,
Did you read about the part, about slow speed handling on the Haul Road???? See, huh?? See, huh??? Does come to use.
post #18 of 18 Old May 26th, 2007, 4:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I passed on the Dalton when I was in Alaska with my LT in 2004. But when I returned in 2005 on a GS, found the road wouldn't have been that big a deal for the LT at least as far as the Arctic Circle where we turned around. The road was dry to pretty dry and except for one short section that was being graded was good hard pack. YMMV. We started out averaging around 35 to 45 mph expecting the road to turn to crap anytime until we got passed by two Goldwings (1500 & 1800) and a Venture. The whole line of us returned to Fairbanks at 50-60 except the Venture who was going to Deadhorse.

Motor On ,/'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in