Finally At Last - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 25th, 2007, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Finally At Last

After months and months and months, the rear wheel anti lock / speedometer sensor and cable has arrived from Chicago BMW. (the delay is not totally their fault as the part had to come from Germany) The question is, as I'm not eager to drag the 2002 LT over to the local deal for them to charge me $100, to clear all the error codes that may be lurking in the moronic, I seem to recall that disconnecting the battery for something like an hour or three would have the same effect. I do understand about after reconnecting the battery needing to reset the open and closed throttle movement limits. Perhaps someone can confirm my recollection. Thanks.

Karl Murphy

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 25th, 2007, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
After months and months and months, the rear wheel anti lock / speedometer sensor and cable has arrived from Chicago BMW. (the delay is not totally their fault as the part had to come from Germany) The question is, as I'm not eager to drag the 2002 LT over to the local deal for them to charge me $100, to clear all the error codes that may be lurking in the moronic, I seem to recall that disconnecting the battery for something like an hour or three would have the same effect. I do understand about after reconnecting the battery needing to reset the open and closed throttle movement limits. Perhaps someone can confirm my recollection. Thanks.

Karl Murphy
Service and Technical booklet quote: "Disconnecting the battery clears all of the entries stored in the Motronic control module (error messages or settings, for instance). The loss of settings can temporarily cause the engine to run roughly when it is restarted." And then it explains the resetting of the TPS, which you already know about.

BTW - for the dealer just to fire up the Motronic wizard shouldn't be over 15-30 minutes labor charge, unless they have a minimum. I'd kinda like to know what error codes, etc., lived in the Motronic since last checked. Butt, if it's 100 bones in your 'hood, then I might just use the booklet quote.

Good luck, Karl. Happy Memorial weekend to ya.
post #3 of 5 Old May 25th, 2007, 2:51 pm

It's about time you got back on the road again, you rode hard, recalcitrant old fart!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old May 26th, 2007, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Service and Technical booklet quote: "Disconnecting the battery clears all of the entries stored in the Motronic control module (error messages or settings, for instance). The loss of settings can temporarily cause the engine to run roughly when it is restarted." And then it explains the resetting of the TPS, which you already know about.

BTW - for the dealer just to fire up the Motronic wizard shouldn't be over 15-30 minutes labor charge, unless they have a minimum. I'd kinda like to know what error codes, etc., lived in the Motronic since last checked. Butt, if it's 100 bones in your 'hood, then I might just use the booklet quote.

Good luck, Karl. Happy Memorial weekend to ya.
Thanks, Dick. Thanks for the confirmation, Dick. Yep when all of this first came up, I called Northern Colorado Ducati and BMW and was told it was $95 for a diagnostic. I responded that I didn't need a full blown diagnostic, just to read the error codes and then wipe the moronic. Shoot, my digital engine performance monitor in the Super Focus can do it in 5 minutes. But they said that reading the codes and wiping the errors was the diagnostic! In my poor ass world, a $100 bucks buys a lot of indulgences so I won't be going down that road if I can help it.

Thanks for the good wishes. With my negative mechanical karma I'm sure to need them. Right now Las Vegas is posting less than even money the new sensor will work and 1 in 3 I'll be able to get the tupperware back on. They won't even take odds on the bike actually starting.

Happy Memorial to you too, Dick.

Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #5 of 5 Old May 26th, 2007, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
It's about time you got back on the road again, you rode hard, recalcitrant old fart!
You forgot about the deadbeat old geezer part, Griff. But thanks for the good wishes? With the price of gasoline going higher than the temperature in a politician's campaign promises, I think I'm gonna want what the LT can do for fuel economy. At least until winter and the roads ice up. Now if it would only burn 85 octane regular without grenading.

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in