Newbie Looking for a LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 25th, 2007, 11:30 am Thread Starter

Newbie Looking for a LT

But I haven't found a summary of the features between the different years.

I'm not sure which year I'm going to get yet.

I know it's here somewhere. I've been through the "Start Here" and spent a few to many hours in the Forum.

Can someone point me in the right direction so that I can get back to work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 25th, 2007, 12:21 pm

Since I don't know your experience or price level - I would suggest you consider a used '05 or later for the upgrades...
post #3 of 10 Old May 25th, 2007, 12:30 pm

2006 For Sale

I have a brand new 2006 just bought this March that I have to sell due to family scheduling issues. This bike has just a little over 2000 miles on it. It is fully stock dark carbon grey with non stock chrome top luggage rack and the BMW Navigator III. I'm asking $18,500.00 because with everything added you will pay around $24,000.00 like I did just two months ago. Savings of $5,500.

If interested let me know.

Brian E.
Houston, TX.

post #4 of 10 Old May 25th, 2007, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

I've been on two wheels since the 70's and had my first (Street) bike Honda cb 360 in 83.

I've never been much for the cruisers preferring speed over comfort but I need a commuter bike.

What I'm trying to decide is how much of an advantage getting a different year is.

From what I understand there were some drive bearing problems in the older ones and by 03 they had fixed most of that. And by 05 they improved the headlights and put in a power center stand.

I'm really just looking for reliable transportation and I'm trying to determine what to avoid, and what I can do without.
post #5 of 10 Old May 25th, 2007, 4:49 pm

That about sums it up other than a small power increase, an updated trip computer and an inferior seat.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old May 25th, 2007, 4:53 pm

I just bought an 04 and I can tell you that I find it easier to get this bike on the center stand than my RS. Size of the stand and the handle on the saddle bag...not sure if everyone does it this way but by the time I stand on the stand I can't reach the other and I don't pull all that hard. I don't know if I would pay extra for the power stand if it was an option. Good luck on your search and feel free to pm me if you find one and you want my opinion on the price/value. I did a lot of research before buying mine. This site will be your best resource.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old May 25th, 2007, 5:16 pm

Love my 03'...shop and get a good deal.....the pre-05's are pretty abudant but it seems the 03-04' models do fair a bit better mechanicaly...
post #8 of 10 Old May 25th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Here is an absolutely sick deal on an 05' for $12,900. I would go for an 05' or newer myself. In fact I went with an 06' and love it although I'd look for one with an aftermarket seat or expect to get one later if you're doing any long distance riding. The back seat is fine for the passengers but for the driver some extra seat is nice. Not everyone needs em, but everyone that has changed em out are really happy they did. Anyway, no affiliation here but I saw this the other night and salivated wishing I'd had this kind of a deal when I bought. Not much difference in 05' - 07'. In 05' there are different option levels, in 06' and 07' they're basically fully loaded, but in 07' they added comfort seats as an option I think. You'll never make 1 seat for everyone so not sure what'll work for you, but that's an easy fix if it doesn't work.

As for the center stand upgrade in the newer models, 05' - 07', I like them, but I have a jacked up knee and back. The other changes are the rake and fit, better low speed handling, among other things. Plus I'd prefer having a warranty. I enjoy dropping my bike off to get worked on if it needs it and not sweating the bill. Anyway, super bike, especially for 2 up and long distance riding. Great choice. Anyway, good luck on the hunt!

http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.ph...d=4318&catid=1

2005 K1200LT
Year: 2005
Make: BMW
Model: K1200LT
Price: $12,900

Miles: 15,000
Color: Blue
Engine Size(cc): 1200

Description: Blue with all the LT extras including ABS and electric/hydraulic center stand. Also is wired with Autocom intercom system and has a Cee Bailey's windshield. 15,000 adult miles. At age 70 and 140# it is a bit heavy for me so I got a R1200RT and I need to sell this one. KBB lists it at $15,985 so you can save over $3,000.

Last edited by Seattle; May 25th, 2007 at 5:43 pm.
post #9 of 10 Old May 25th, 2007, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
I just bought an 04 and I can tell you that I find it easier to get this bike on the center stand than my RS. Size of the stand and the handle on the saddle bag...not sure if everyone does it this way but by the time I stand on the stand I can't reach the other and I don't pull all that hard. I don't know if I would pay extra for the power stand if it was an option.
I agree that once you learn the proper technique it is quite easy to put the bike on the center stand. I view the hydraulic stand on the 05 and newer as another thing I didn't need, and as one thing that can go wrong.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 10 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:16 pm

"backup"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I agree that once you learn the proper technique it is quite easy to put the bike on the center stand. I view the hydraulic stand on the 05 and newer as another thing I didn't need, and as one thing that can go wrong.
Right Gilles.. and there is no "backup" for the HCS.. if it "fails", there is NO Centerstand. Can't raise the beast because there is no foot deployment method.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in