Tiiiiimmmmmberrrrrrr - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old May 25th, 2007, 8:45 am Thread Starter

Thumbs down Tiiiiimmmmmberrrrrrr

Ok, well it took 6 mos. but I finally did it. I dropped my LT. As usual, it was the result of being in-attentive. It was parked behind my RS in the garage, so I moved the LT out to get the RS. Got it out and moved the LT in place of it. Thought the kick stand was down, , , well, it was..... sorta. That was bad enough, but then my sons R6 was beside it and when she went down she caught my sons crotch rocket and flipped it over, hard. Didn't hurt my LT, but the R6 left rear tuperware cracked like a cheap egg shell. Soooooo, anybody got some YZF R6 parts laying around ? ? ? Yah, the membership just grew to 1 more to that infamous long list.

1998 R1100RT
2000 YZF600R

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old May 25th, 2007, 8:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Welcom

At least you didn't drop it twice in one day with your wife on it. I think Pete may have some decals and pins.
post #3 of 27 Old May 25th, 2007, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle
At least you didn't drop it twice in one day with your wife on it. I think Pete may have some decals and pins.
Yup, that would really suck. I can't get mine to ride with me, so I usually ride solo, unless the daughter has free time, she likes to ride. And we did last weekend down to Yosemite. That was awsome. First big trip on the LT. She may be big, she may not like the slow speed stop and go stuff, but boy howdy, get her on the road and twisties, she's a hole different animal. It's all about the ride.
Cheers,

1998 R1100RT
2000 YZF600R

:

post #4 of 27 Old May 25th, 2007, 1:13 pm

Add me to the list

As a new member, I guess I should be added to the list of those that have laid her down. Fortunately, my wife and I were able to put her back up, and there was no damage. Those rubber bumpers really do work! Still, one's pride takes a hit.

2005 K1200LT
1980 Kaw KZ1300
post #5 of 27 Old May 25th, 2007, 1:37 pm

Don't worry, the more it happens the less you feel bad about it each time.

I think I have dropped her 4 times. Last time was in dirt in the mountains on a slope without sure footing. I was goofing around and down she went. No damage and we got it up no problem.

Part of life with that big beast..

Good luck in finding your parts.
post #6 of 27 Old May 25th, 2007, 3:16 pm

Dropped mine twice four months apart but both at the same friends house.

Glad I put the rubber strips on the side bags after the first one.
post #7 of 27 Old May 25th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Welcome to the list. It's long but distinguished.
so is my Johnson...

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #8 of 27 Old May 25th, 2007, 10:16 pm

droped mine last week

I've had my oolt since May 06 and have put 10k on it. Was out at Branson Mo. Last week on way to Dallas with wife. We were on a narrow road around Table Rock lake checking out some beach houses when the road dead ended. on a real
nice slope. After jacking around she went down on the l side. No one seen it and
we picked her right backup. I tried hard to holder up and then found my handle bars loose for the rest of the trip. Ck'd the site for info on loose bars and pulled
plastic tonight and tighten then up. Was amazed by the way she just layed on
the side bumpers. And now we've got the 1st drop under our belt.
post #9 of 27 Old May 25th, 2007, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwriderm
I've had my oolt since May 06 and have put 10k on it. Was out at Branson Mo. Last week on way to Dallas with wife. We were on a narrow road around Table Rock lake checking out some beach houses when the road dead ended. on a real
nice slope. After jacking around she went down on the l side. No one seen it and
we picked her right backup. I tried hard to holder up and then found my handle bars loose for the rest of the trip. Ck'd the site for info on loose bars and pulled
plastic tonight and tighten then up. Was amazed by the way she just layed on
the side bumpers. And now we've got the 1st drop under our belt.
Yup, she aint pretty when all laid over like that. Mine looked like an old gray donkey layin on her side. But, I too was amazed at how nothin got hurt . . . this time. Well, the wife anounced that she is going riding with me on Sunday. Guess the daughter made her a little jealous Think we'll head up to N. Cal and see what Shasta is up to.
Ya'll have a safe holidays and keep them two wheels down and on the road again.
Cheers,

1998 R1100RT
2000 YZF600R

:
post #10 of 27 Old May 27th, 2007, 10:54 pm

Getting to be a habit!

I hate to admit it, but in the few weeks I've been riding the K1200LTC, I'd dropped it TWICE! I've ridden for many, many hundreds of thousands of miles, and have NEVER dropped a street bike. Now, I've got the best riding cruiser I've ever ridden, and I can't keep it up! With my 29" inseam, it's purely tip-toes and prayers at intersections. Now, I'm gun-shy, dreading the next red light or stop sign.

Other than common sense...looking for gravel and sand, etc, are there any secrets? Training wheels? I love the bike in every other way!!!!!
post #11 of 27 Old May 28th, 2007, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPhil
I hate to admit it, but in the few weeks I've been riding the K1200LTC, I'd dropped it TWICE! I've ridden for many, many hundreds of thousands of miles, and have NEVER dropped a street bike. Now, I've got the best riding cruiser I've ever ridden, and I can't keep it up! With my 29" inseam, it's purely tip-toes and prayers at intersections. Now, I'm gun-shy, dreading the next red light or stop sign.

Other than common sense...looking for gravel and sand, etc, are there any secrets? Training wheels? I love the bike in every other way!!!!!
Just one of many suggestions you'll hear about --- have your fav shoe cobbler re-sole your riding boots (some can't be, some can) with a thicker sole. There is a company that makes non-skid soles with tread patterns that work real well. I forget the name, butt your cobbler will know.
post #12 of 27 Old May 28th, 2007, 10:44 am

only twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle
I dropped it three times the first time Rose and I went out for the day. 65,000 miles later I don't do it much any more.
post #13 of 27 Old May 28th, 2007, 8:37 pm

Thanks. It's encouraging knowing that I'm not inventing a new K1200 sport! Any hints on how to pick it up once it's down? I hear there's a demo of a 100# girl doing it...but from my experience, I better watch out, because she'd kick my Remus up and down the parking lot!!!!!
post #14 of 27 Old May 28th, 2007, 8:48 pm

I don't remember where I learned it, but if you put your butt on the drivers seat, one hand on the handlebar and one on the lifting handle forward of the rear case, you'll have bent knees and can lift the bike by pushing backwards into the seat. The trickiest part of this technique is getting turned around after getting the bike up, but it's not as hard as you'd think.

Hope this helps...
post #15 of 27 Old May 28th, 2007, 9:03 pm

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind, but hope to never get a chance to test it. One of the scary things would be to get it upright, then have it continue the journey down on the OTHER side! :-)
post #16 of 27 Old May 28th, 2007, 9:11 pm

Just remember to always drop it on the side with the sidestand!
post #17 of 27 Old May 28th, 2007, 9:30 pm

Quote:

I've been applying both brakes coming to a stop, but have been dragging the rear brake to complete the stop. Doesn't seem so "tipsy" as when applying front/rear with the same force/pressure. I don't want to get out of the habit of using both brakes to stop the bike.

Hope this helps.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #18 of 27 Old May 28th, 2007, 9:44 pm
cws

Garage
LT pickup

Quote:
Any hints on how to pick it up once it's down?
click here

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #19 of 27 Old May 30th, 2007, 11:49 pm

That's an amazing clip! ALMOST makes me want to drop 'er just to try it out. I'll keep that in mind.
post #20 of 27 Old May 30th, 2007, 11:50 pm

I've noticed that my shoes make a huge difference. I am researching to find out where I can get some as you described. Thanks!
post #21 of 27 Old May 30th, 2007, 11:52 pm

Pickin' her up is usually harder than the video because she is usually fully loaded and lying with her head downhill. My wife and I have picked ours up two times in that situation. It takes two butts and four legs...

2006 LT
Times dropped(so far): 2
2006 FZ-1
Speeding tickets(so far): 0

IBA

"Four things greater than all things are,-
Women and Horses and Power and War." Rudyard Kipling
post #22 of 27 Old May 31st, 2007, 12:11 am

I've got to ask. What do you fly? If the picture's any indication, it's a bit more serious than my Mooney.
post #23 of 27 Old May 31st, 2007, 1:00 am

One thing that has been left out is that the bike needs to be in gear or else you will be going around the Mulberry bush!

Also, if you have dropped her on the right side, put it in gear and stick out the side stand, so that when you raise it you can keep going until the side stand bears the weight of the bike.

These tips were learned through meditation. Ahem!

Alvaro

"Whatever you can do or dream you can begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Goethe

'02 K1200LT-E "Orca"
BushTech Trailer (Nugget?)
'77 GS750 Suzuki (Red Knight) (To be sold soon)

BMWMOA 131323
HDDC Posse

post #24 of 27 Old May 31st, 2007, 7:24 am

"I usually ride solo, unless the daughter has free time, she likes to ride. And we did last weekend down to Yosemite. That was awsome. First big trip on the LT. She may be big, she may not like the slow speed stop and go stuff, but boy howdy, get her on the road and twisties, she's a hole different animal."

I HOPE you're talking about the bike here....... :-)

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #25 of 27 Old May 31st, 2007, 9:21 am

I live near Yosemite...not too far from the northern entrance, and totally know what you mean. I had been out of bikes for 20+ years, and moving up here, a bike became a necessity! It's biking heaven up here.

It's a long ride from Oxford, MA to Yosemite!!!!
post #26 of 27 Old May 31st, 2007, 11:11 pm

Quote:
I've got to ask. What do you fly? If the picture's any indication, it's a bit more serious than my Mooney.
Airbus Industries 321, 320, and 319.

2006 LT
Times dropped(so far): 2
2006 FZ-1
Speeding tickets(so far): 0

IBA

"Four things greater than all things are,-
Women and Horses and Power and War." Rudyard Kipling
post #27 of 27 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 9:07 am

Cooool! Any chance of driving a 380 at some point? Is the 380 ever going into production????

I've had a pretty good streak lately...a couple of heart stoppers, but no more drops. I'm actually breathing when I approach intersections :-) I have a friend visiting from So Cal this weekend, but don't have the courage to put her on the bike, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in