Parking lot badge swipe - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 24th, 2007, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Parking lot badge swipe

Howdy,

I use my LT to commute back and forth to work.

Once there I have to swipe my badge to open the barrier. I have a few issues and maybe someone has a simple solution that escapes me

Problem: Where to keep the badge while commuting that will provide quick access when in the long line of cars back up behind me..

my current process:
I placed the badge in the sleave of my mesh jacket..)
When I arrive I have to stop and place the bike in neutral to take my hand off the clutch and swipe my sleave... I have to pull over close to the unit to reach it.... well,,, my right foot ends up on a oil patch from all the cars... I have almost lost my footing a number of times... stepping on the oil or later when I go to back up into a bike parking spot.. but that is a different issue

Jerry,

2002 LT -[MidLife]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 24th, 2007, 9:54 pm

Why not keep your keycard in the oddments box. Open it and take it out with your right hand, and reach across to the left side to have it scanned. If you can't reach that far then I think you're stuck using your left hand.

I would also talk to the maintenance department about cleaning up the oil slick in front of the card reader. Tell them it's a safety hazard, which it most certainly is.

Regards,
-joel
post #3 of 12 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:01 pm

Similar problem.. they installed the "swipe" reader on the wrong side. Same thing with the button for exit.. wrong side.

This has caused me to break several barriers as the barrier times out and falls on me. Just stop and toss them to the side.

As for the cage droppings, bring some kitty litter and dust the spot.

Now, about the badge swiping, I pull it out of my jacket as I get close to the entrance and since it's on a zipline, just swipe and release... click back into gear..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:48 pm

Get one of those ID card lanyards. Wear it around your neck.

Mmm, may wanna be sure it's a 'break away' type - just in case you accidentally try to swipe your way past a fence post or something.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #5 of 12 Old May 25th, 2007, 1:16 am

Badges, we don't need no ... actually we do.

I don't need to swipe mine but I do need to display it at two gates. I keep it in the oddments box and retreve it at the traffic signal before entering the facility. I will first raise my flip-up chin bar on the helmet at the light so if I need I can hold the badge with my mouth if shifting, braking or other issues become present. I then place the badge clip between the pointer finger and middle finger of my left hand and display as I enter the site. The first gate is fairly active so it works well with the guards but the second has an actual gate and the guard is not always quick on raising the bar. I think on a slow day I will go to the guard shack to see if I can get an agreement with them that I can sneak by the gate and they will not shoot me if they don't raise the gate right away.

Dave Fuchs
2005 K1200LT
2001 R1200C (wife's)
1985 KLR 250
2002 John Deere 4110
1946 Piper J-3
IBA# 42191
post #6 of 12 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:19 am

Here's my solution with picture. I wear by badge around my neck all the time on a lanyard. At the bottom of the lanyard I have clip with a retractor attached. I pull up to the badge reader as close as I can, hold the bike in position with the right foot on the brake and bike in neutral (don't have to worry about the oil this way), unzip my jacket with my left hand, pull out the badge and place it against the reader (we have proximity readers now but it used to be swipe), drop the badge on the outside of the jacket (not very far to park at this point), change feet just for a second to put bike in first and ride off. I haven't had a problem with this procedure yet, but then again things happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badge.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	11996  

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 12 Old May 25th, 2007, 7:09 am

Pull up, put bike in first, put down side stand, roll bike forward till leaning against tranny, remove key, take off gloves, open odment box, remove card, dismount bike, walk over swipe card, walk back to bike, put card away, lock box, mount bike, put on gloves, stand bike up, lift sidestand, start bike and proceed.
Now this will work best if you do it in front of one of the higher up's. They will find or make a way for MC to enter with less trouble.
This is how we got the fare for easypass, for bike cut in half in PA.
On Memorial day weekend, they just open a lane and wave all the bikes through it. Well we decided to all go through this process and everyone get a receipt. Took about 5 minutes to start being a problem, in 15 minutes traffic was backed up for miles. Turnpike grid locked on 1 of the 3 bussiest weekends of the year,
Think outside the box you'll see thing in a whole differant light.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #8 of 12 Old May 25th, 2007, 7:22 am

I keep mine in the oddments box, throw the bike in to neutral as I roll up to the gate, grap the card, swipe it, grab the clutch, hit first & go.
post #9 of 12 Old May 25th, 2007, 7:47 am

Sounds like your current setup works pretty well other than the foot in oil deal. I wouldn't worry about the cars that much.

Or keep it in oddments box. Can you roll up and paddle walk in Neutral? As the cars in front get up there, put in neutral, and as cars are going thru, get your card out and ready?

I'm not familiar with the process at all, so I can't add much that others have probably already worked out.

Randy
post #10 of 12 Old May 25th, 2007, 8:23 am

We have a backgate that is not guarded but has the prox card barrier. Fortunately for me the gate leaves just enough space that I can fit the LT around the end of the gate at walking speed. Gonna be a pain if they ever add any length to that gate.

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)
post #11 of 12 Old May 25th, 2007, 11:15 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedexrider
We have a backgate that is not guarded but has the prox card barrier. Fortunately for me the gate leaves just enough space that I can fit the LT around the end of the gate at walking speed. Gonna be a pain if they ever add any length to that gate.
+1. I went to the head of security and told him that the officers monitoring the video screens were going to see me almost every day, including weekends, often on off hours, that my bike is pretty distinctive, would it be OK to slip past the barrier? I stressed the safety aspect. I told him that I'd be glad to take a picture of the bike so it would be easy to identify. He laughed and said that every officer knows the bike, they all have been drooling over it, and that he would send out a memo that same day that I was approved to slip past the gate. Sent the officers and chief some fudge as thanks, never had a problem. Of course, this will not work if they use the card swipe to track in and out times of individual vehicles, or if it is a very secure facility.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #12 of 12 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedexrider

+2 for this technique. The PVC gate at our place is easy enough to just push a little bit up over the mirror and I'm in. The gate sometimes gets bumped by my rear case on the way in, but that just leaves it bouncing a little. Gotta be careful to watch both sides as the pole on the other side has knocked off the mirror. The sneak in technique was suggested by an LT admiring guard in my case as well. He even told me about a covered parking area where I could use the same technique to get the bike into.

I currently work at a .EDU, so the security isn't a big issue, they're just trying to keep out non-employee parkers.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in