Step up or down?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 24th, 2007, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Step up or down??

I am thinking about trading in my gl1800 for a K1200LT, is this taking a step up in a touring bike or taking a step down?? I quess what I am looking for is some pro's and con's of each bike. I have been on a wing for a long time and am very comfortable with them. I am new to BMW and don't know much about them at all. I do like the looks of the LT, it's something new -- it's not like every other tourer out there. I rode one a couple of times and they ride great, but these were short rides. I have done over 20 1000 mile days on the 1800 -- yea they are tough, but I felt ok after the day was done. How comfortable is the LT?? I don't plan on doing days like I have in the past -- I want to put more time in enjoying the ride, not trying to see how many miles I can do in a day.

Thanks for the info -- I look forward to getting some imput

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 24th, 2007, 9:21 pm

step Up I think

Keith

I have never owned a GW and I new to the BMW 2004 I picked up in March I have put about 3k on it. You will here much todo about alot of Issues with the BMW I for one have not had any problems with low speed handling I picked the BMW for its handling over the GW.

I do mostly single riding on two lane roads lots of twisties I live in North GA. I have only logged about 700 miles on the interstate most of that was when I picked it up in FLA.

But she handles sweet I enjoy riding this machine more than any other bike I have owned i have been riding most of my life.

With all that said so far I have done some work to the LT today I installed a aux cable for my IPOD what a pain in the ass that was also my first time removing the so called tupperware. I also did the HID install that was not to bad.

I had the 6k maintence done that was 600.00 that included a new ft.tire. The K1200 LT has some quirks and will cost you more money to maintain heck the place I get my lawn equipment repaired charges 65.00 per hour.

I will learn hao to preform as much of the maintence I can and I will keep my fingers crossed that I have none of the problems you have read about in this forum. So far the pleasure I get when riding far out weighs the problems.

Hope to see you on an LT soon

VanO
post #3 of 13 Old May 25th, 2007, 12:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithb
I am thinking about trading in my gl1800 for a K1200LT, is this taking a step up in a touring bike or taking a step down?? I quess what I am looking for is some pro's and con's of each bike. I have been on a wing for a long time and am very comfortable with them. I am new to BMW and don't know much about them at all. I do like the looks of the LT, it's something new -- it's not like every other tourer out there. I rode one a couple of times and they ride great, but these were short rides. I have done over 20 1000 mile days on the 1800 -- yea they are tough, but I felt ok after the day was done. How comfortable is the LT?? I don't plan on doing days like I have in the past -- I want to put more time in enjoying the ride, not trying to see how many miles I can do in a day.

Keith
Which years are you considering? Short answer, the LT is a step up. Electric windshield, electric centerstand, more like a sport tourer with better handling, better build quality, more comfortable for your SO, better ergos, cheaper for insurance because of the 1200cc engine vs 1800cc, better gas mileage. These are some of things better on my short list between my 06' LT and the 07' I looked at.

On the flip side I think the GW had better low end torque, 5 yr standard warranty vs 3 for BMW, more dealerships, other than that I thought it was a cheaper built bike and looked, sounded, and felt like it. I also liked the stereo on the 07' although I heard some older models were anemic. Oh and most importantly my SO liked the LT much more.

In the end what I like you may not, so ride em both and see what gives you the warm a fuzzy. Good luck, ~darren

post #4 of 13 Old May 25th, 2007, 4:41 am

I would agree with the above but in the end , for me, it was the styling on the Honda that put me off. I just couldn't live with those looks! I quite liked the old Pan European but the electric windscreen on the BMW is almost a must when touring. I think the choice is very personal and depends on what type of riding you plan.
post #5 of 13 Old May 25th, 2007, 9:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle
better build quality,
Ahhhh... What?? I don't think sooooooo

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #6 of 13 Old May 25th, 2007, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Ahhhh... What?? I don't think sooooooo

Amen brother. I have had no where near the reliability of my old honda.
post #7 of 13 Old May 25th, 2007, 11:04 am
was

Best thread I have seen on the subject: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ight=Gold+Wing

See especially post #17.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #8 of 13 Old May 26th, 2007, 12:36 am

I swapped my 03 GL1800 for my new 05 K1200LT and haven't regretted it.

Here are a few things that made me switch;

1) I can put a full face helmet in the side bags on the LT and 2 in the top trunk. Can't put them in the side bags on the Wing.

2) Standard ABS on the LT, hard to find on the Wing, or without upgrading to a package with unnecessary options.

3) Standard Heated Grips

4) Much more willing to lean in on curves and better lean angles on the LT.

5) Stronger Servo Assisted Brakes

6) Better brake holding on steep hills, because the hand brake works both wheels on the LT. Its safer to back an LT down a steep driveway especially two up with the front handbrake lever alone. I would drag the front and have no assistance from the rear brake on the Wing in this situation.

7) Smoother more accurate Cruise Control.

8) Much more stable at higher speeds and in crosswinds, no 40-45 mph front wheel wobble.

9) Much more compliant ride than the Wing, the LT is softer

10) Better gas mileage 45-52 MPG, mid 36-42 on the Wing.

What I miss about the Wing;

1) Low end grunt and incredibly smooth engine.

2) Lower center of gravity in low speed manuvers.

3) Better cold weather wind protection

4) The stock headlights on the Wing are amazing, had to add xenon and motolights to the LT to compete.

5) Much easier to "farkle" and remove body work

6) Standard remote locking of saddlebags.

7) Much stronger reverse on the Wing, the LT does not pull as hard and thermally times out much sooner.

8) Better lighting in the rear, easier to be seen.

9) Standard Intercom

I've had issues with both, frame crack recall, overheating in traffic due to air pockets in cooling system, stupid cooling fan programming and reversed fan blowing direction on the Wing.

On the LT, odd radio faults and final drive pinion seal leak, odd spider cracks in the taillight assembly, need to run a battery tender when parked for more than a week.

These heavyweights come with their inherent issues, but I feel the LT is a much more responsive motorcycle once the RPMs are spooled up, phenomenal brakes, larger trunks, adjustable on-the-fly wind protection, more confident in the rain and ABS.

The other reason is dealer customer service. I had to take my Wing to Atlanta, Lawrenceville Honda, 180 miles away for major stuff, local dealer where I bought mine (Icon) wasn't interested in performing warranty work. Bogart's Motorsports has been fantastic with my LT here in B'ham.

The LT to me was a step up, don't get me wrong, I liked my Wing also. The LT is a better "fit". I'm 5-10, 175lbs and 32" inseam, 32-33 sleeve and the LT does sit higher, but I have a better riding position on the LT over the Wing.
post #9 of 13 Old May 26th, 2007, 1:32 am

Just finished a trip with my buddy on his 06' wing. On the slab the LT handles big truck much better. In the twisties the LT is much better and a lot less effort, he was worn out on a long day in the mountains my face hurt from smiling all day. Acceleration off the line GW is king, from 2and gear on the LT is. MPG the LT go 44 to 53 (2300 miles) the GW 35 to 40. We both carried the same amount of gear but his helmet didn't fit well in the sidecases. He wishes he had an electric windshield and centerstand. I would not trade my LT for his or any GW for the way I like to ride. If I was to ride two up and pull a trailer then I would be looking at a GW because of the motor. Stock seat (front) is much better on the GW, LT rear is better. You can take off the top box on the LT and make it into a different bike no can do on GW. Both bikes can do 1K days once they are set up for you. I love my Kontour seat and MOPs, what a combo for the road! The paint quality and the way the cases open and lock are better on the LT. You can use a tank bag on the LT the GW you can use pouches on each side of dash. CC is better on the LT his wandered. He would get an LT but he is convinced the FD is going to fail because a friend of his did on his 99'.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #10 of 13 Old May 26th, 2007, 6:16 am

I was a big time Honda fan.

Ive been a long time Honda fan, always rode Honda's, but always wanted a BMW. I am half German, mom is 100% born and raised German. I also grew up in Germany, so my I guess my loyalty is towards BMW.

I had two GWs, the 1500 and 1800. I have had 2 LT's, and currently own one. Since the BMW dealer opened in my area I have nothing but BMWs.

Both motorcycles are great bikes. I you just have to find what you enjoy. My wife did not like the comforts on the LT and she picked the GW over the LT.

The biggest reason for me to pick the LT is that it looks and rides like a sport bike. Will kind of. You will understand this, in the twists.
post #11 of 13 Old May 26th, 2007, 7:34 am

Its a wash

What you gain in terms of handling, braking, and overall looks (subjective), you lose in reliability. Cost of ownership on the BMW is higher than any other brand and parts are often backordered. Reliability is no longer a selling point for BMW as many have had serious problems. Dealerships and especially good ones are few. Why sell the wing. Keep it and get a second bike. If the sportier ride is what you are after. A 1200GT,RT1200, Honda ST1300, Yamaha FJR1300 many choices. Then you have your cross country bike when needed. And your sportier bike for day rides. I think the 11th commandment is "Man Shall Not Be Limited To One Motorcycle". ----------------Rethy
post #12 of 13 Old May 26th, 2007, 7:36 am

I stepped up to a 2005 LT from a 2002 GW. I did love the GW but had a few issues that caused me concerns. First it did over heat and I had that repaired, then came the cracked frame and that was the end of the GW for me. I didn't like that hanging over my head that is would the bike crack while riding. Now the differences for me. The LT is far more sporty not only looking but riding the in the canyons. I think everything else was covered pretty well in the above posts but here is a big one for me; accessories!
The Wing was a continual money pit adding chrome plastic pieces everywhere, whereas the LT doesn't need anything else to make it shine.

Step up to a LT and don't look back.
Dewman
post #13 of 13 Old May 26th, 2007, 8:31 am

Smile GW or K1200LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithb

Keith
I have a 2001 Pearl Yellow Gold Wing with lots of chrome and lights. Purchased on Ebay 4 years ago with 13000 miles on it. It now has 21000 miles on it. I had a 2002 K1200LT purchased new and sold last spring with 68000 miles on it. Bought a 2006 K1200LT last spring and now have about 18000 miles on it.

I guess that explains which one gets ridden and which one sits in the garage and collects dust. In my opinion, there is no comparison with the two bikes. The K1200LT wins hands down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in