2 Questions: Engaging 1st gear hard/Throttle cable lube ideas. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 24th, 2007, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

2 Questions: Engaging 1st gear hard/Throttle cable lube ideas.

Okay all you tech heads,
Needed some insight, ideas, suggestions, help.

1st question:
I'm having a difficult time with my 1st gear engagement at stops. Approx. 65% of the time when I'm at a stop light/sign and idling at neutral I go to put it in 1st gear and nothing. Try and try...2, 3 times....nothing, then start to lightly stomp on it.....play with the clutch a little bit.......shift it into 2nd....well its a pain in the ass. What up dog!!!!

2nd question:
My throttle continues to be hard to turn "stuff", getting hair on my palm cause of it. I called the BMW dealer and talked to the Muck-cak-nic on duty and advised to "not" put any type of oil on it. He suggested using only graphite, trick is how do I get it in there?

Eddie,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don't steal my Identity.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Austin, TX
2003 K1200LT-E/Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 24th, 2007, 7:55 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_jumptd
Okay all you tech heads,
Needed some insight, ideas, suggestions, help.

1st question:
I'm having a difficult time with my 1st gear engagement at stops. Approx. 65% of the time when I'm at a stop light/sign and idling at neutral I go to put it in 1st gear and nothing. Try and try...2, 3 times....nothing, then start to lightly stomp on it.....play with the clutch a little bit.......shift it into 2nd....well its a pain in the ass. What up dog!!!!

2nd question:
My throttle continues to be hard to turn "stuff", getting hair on my palm cause of it. I called the BMW dealer and talked to the Muck-cak-nic on duty and advised to "not" put any type of oil on it. He suggested using only graphite, trick is how do I get it in there?
#1 When shifting to first from a stop, maintain a light downward pressure on the shift lever and let the clutch out slightly to find the "slip" zone. If it didn't go into gear on the initial shift lever movement, the shift will complete as soon as the clutch engages. As soon as the bike is moving remove your foot from the lever

#2 Conventional wisdom says not to lube the cables. Being somewhat "unconventional" I used a spray can of snowmobile cable lube and the neat little attachment specifically made for lubing cables and had no issues for three years. (Cable frayed at the throttle rail last week so I changed them to the new style.)

Good Luck

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #3 of 11 Old May 24th, 2007, 8:10 pm

Same as above. Mine sometimes doesn't want to shift into first unless I release the clutch lever just a bit...then it goes right into 1st! Just so you know...safety rules say that you should actually keep the bike IN GEAR at intersections in case you have to get out of the way of an oncoming cager quickly!

I also lubed my cables with a VERY LIGHT lubricant by BelRay. Seemed to help...no problems yet.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by cccpastorjack; May 24th, 2007 at 8:42 pm.

post #4 of 11 Old May 24th, 2007, 8:33 pm

Thumbs up my .02 's worth

I always leave it in 1st at a stop AND I've never had a cable problem with no lube added.

Ridden this '03 LT 24,000 miles since one year ago this May.

Vern

Enjoy the ride!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 11 Old May 24th, 2007, 9:38 pm

...and don't stomp on it lightly or any other way, possibly why some linkages give up the ghost.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #6 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 4:52 am

Mine is OK once warm. Can be a swine when cold so I guess its best not to put it in neutral.
post #7 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 7:54 am

I had the same concern and POST when I got my new 05...all above are correct, downward pressure gas and clutch-you will scurry away.

Mike in Hilliard OH
post #8 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 9:10 am

Eddie..
Ping me if you want help. I live up in Round Rock... also, Astuber is nearby in Austin.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 10:04 am

Eddie,

It looks like we have the same year and color of LT. I live in NW Austin, PM me and you can compare the throttle stiffness with mine if you want.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #10 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 10:38 am

Cable really shouldn't need lube. Some have used a teflon based lube with good results. I would definitely check the cable ends at the throttle rail ASAP. The majority of the time that is the cause of a stiff throttle. Replace the cable before it breaks on you. Don't ask me how I know "Ouch"......

As far as getting her into 1st, like the others have said don't stomp or use much pressure. Kind of pull the clutch in alittle (may have to try it 2-3 times) while trying to slip her into gear. Works for me.....

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #11 of 11 Old May 25th, 2007, 10:54 am
was

Check your shift linkage real closely. When I started to have trouble engaging first I used the methods above with some success and paid it no nevermind. Sometime later I went to lube the linkage and one of the balls had screwed itself half way out and was bent. I replaced both the long and the short arm and 2 of the balls. After adjustment of the short arm my tranny has never shifted more smoothly. And I suggest replacing the cables at the same time. It is a pita procedure (at least for me), but except for HID it is the single best change I've made to the bike. My .02.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in