Hot weather protective gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 6:52 am Thread Starter

Question Hot weather protective gear

Hey what do you guys wear for protective clothing in the summer heat?
I have a mesh Joe Rocket that i wear on my Gixxer but what are some of the things you guys are wearing on your LTs?

BMWMOA #132765
2007 K1200LT Storm Gray Metallic
2003 F650GS Dakar

"Yoroshiku onegai shimasu"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 7:52 am

I Wear an Olympia Mesh Jacket

With the waterproof, insulated liner it is good at least yo the low 40s and I have had it up to about 90 in the sun with the liner out so far. Very comfortable.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #3 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 8:15 am

BMW Commuter II jacket with BMW StreetGuard pants. As the mercury rises, I put on my UnderArmor under garments for amazing comfort. 102 in Joshua Tree National Park was not an issue a few weeks ago with this gear.

I don't like mesh gear, just because I'm afraid it won't be there for me if/when I need it most.

post #4 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 8:28 am

I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket, too, and it works well. No need to change yet. Bought a pair of Moose gloves, lightweight, may not be too good in a crash though. Minimal protection. I would wear the same thing no matter what bike. And non of my stuff is color coordinated to anything.

Helmet is blues/white, jacket is red, gloves are blue/white, bike is charcoal.

no fashion statement for me. I really do want some of those olympia pants that the legs zip off to make cargo shorts. BMW version is too much $$$ for me.

Randy
post #5 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 8:43 am

I wear Brosh gear, top and bottom for summer wear...had it for 2 summers now and am thankful every day the temp is over 75 degrees. They are a company out of Isreal and priced right. They use kevlar mesh and while I've never tested the duability of the material on a power slide, I figure they should know their business with heat and kevlar. http://www.brosh.com

2012 K1600GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 9:17 am

I have the tourmaster GX Air with Leather and really like it. It doenst flow as much air as the Joe Rocket Phoenix, but I think it will protect better if the unfortune happens.

For pants I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix over pant, which are very nice. Easy in and out and allow plenty are air the flow through. I also have a pair of the BMW Summer pants which are also very nice and comfortable.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 9:24 am

You are going to sweat ...

I have tried a variety of gear in Florida and with our heat and humidity, there is nothing that will keep you cool when you have to stop in traffic and the heat coming off of the pavement is over 90 degrees. When it hits 100 it is HOT.. As long as I'm moving there really doesnt seem to be a difference in most summer gear. Under All Armor type t-shirts seem to help, but it is still hot except when moving. Sweat washes off, road rash don't! so I just sweat.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 9:28 am

I've been wearing a Fieldsheer Mesh Jacket and am very happy with it.

Just bought Olympia Airglide II mesh pants yesterday. So far, its been very comfortable. I've just ridden about 80 miles with these and I can't comment much on them yet.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #9 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 9:40 am

Hot weather protection??? I look forward to hot weather so I can take off my electric vest, take the liner out of my Darien jacket, turn off the heated grips and seat. I don't feel sorry for you guys at all!
Still waiting for the hot weather in Manitoba,
Wilson.
post #10 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:15 am

I have a Teknic mesh jacket that saved my a$$ in a crash (the jacket survived and has a bit more character now). I also wear 1st gear mesh pants without the liner. I stay cool as a cucumber.
post #11 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchnerb
With the waterproof, insulated liner it is good at least yo the low 40s and I have had it up to about 90 in the sun with the liner out so far. Very comfortable.

Bruce
Like Bruce, I also have his'n her Olympic Airglide suits, and concur with the Bruce's comments on it. Because I commute in the low 30's in winter, and want max visibility whenever it's not too hot to wear it, I also bought his'n her Olympic AST iridescent green jackets. We wear those jackets with electrics instead of it's normal liner jacket below 40-45 deg F, and with Olympic Ranger pants. I switch to the Airglides only when summer comes (the AST is not cool enough above 80 deg F, even with the vents open). We wear Draggin' kevlar-lined jeans when it's not raining, and the bottom half of the Airglide suit when it is, preferably without the jeans underneath. I also wear the bottom Airglide pants over my dress trousers when riding to work, so I can change out quicker when I get there. In summer, the ride home is hotter and I have more prep time, so I switch to the kevlar-lined jeans only, with the Airglide jacket. If you get the Draggin' jeans, I recommend you forget the add-on knee armor. Although I had some velcro sewn in to hold the armor in place, they are just too cumbersome and hot with the armor installed.
post #12 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:54 am
egs

Wife beater T and whatever faded jeans are handy. Oh wait, that's my Harley outfit... Only kidding Harley owners - I know how sensitive you are about being profiled. Hell, I'd buy a 96 in. Road Glide if I had the $$$.

I wear a Tourmaster Intake mesh jacket. I like that it comes with a waterproof liner AND insulated liner. Kind of a pain to zip everything together but it works. I leave the liners home in the summer and carry a rain jacket to throw it on top if needed.

On the bottom, kevlar jeans. Have a pair of nylon overpants but they're not mesh and way too hot in the summer. Plan to get mesh pants for long/fast rides & wear over shorts.

Am looking for a used short / euro windshield to increase airflow.
post #13 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:58 am

I wear a Teknic mesh, don't know what model it is. Very comfy, air flows nice, drys quick if it get wet. Paid about $120 for it.

Bruce Northrop

'99 BMW K1200 LT
'99 Triumph Sprint ST
'72 Norton 750 (resto in progress)
'69 Triumph TR6C (restored)
post #14 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 11:08 am

Hot weather gear

Like most of you I have tried several products starting with an early BMW Airflow jacket and pants. Not much airflow or comfort. I have a couple of Joe Rocket mesh jackets, one partial leather the other all fabric. Usually worn with kevlar lined jeans. Good venting but the unknown that I hope remains unknown is the crash protection.

Last summer I went to a Vanson fully perforated leather jacket and pants. Great airflow in the jacket, less so in the pants but much better than traditional leathers and probably some of the best protection abailable. Pricey to say the least, but most things in life are trade off.
Mike

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #15 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 11:52 am

Hot Weather Gear

We are just now getting some hot days here in the great white north. I was considering the Olympia mesh jacket, but I bought the BMW Comfort Shell for my wife and myself, and I am looking forward to trying it out. I am told it has a high tech fabric that reacts to heat and cold like a pine cone does, opening and closing as needed. It is also supposed to be waterproof and wind proof, and eliminates the need to take a liner in and out with changing conditions. Truly a one jacket does all, if it works as advertised. I will let you know what we think after some hot rides, but they feel good with the temperature around 20C (68F).
post #16 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 12:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hot weather gear

I have Rev'it! mesh jacket and pants. Good price on good quality fit and function. It's great when moving or standing still for a red light duration. It's the helmet (Shoei Multitec) that gets me during the stops even though I can feel air flow while moving. I have steaming issues with goggles for skiing and swimming, so the helmet doesn't surprise me.

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #17 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 7:25 pm

Summer gear

I wear Hood denim K7 Jacket and jeans with kevlar type liner,they work well for me. Avalilible from the UK.

Just booked a table for two for me and the wife. It was bound to end in tears though - she's crap at snooker.

Such an unfair world. When a man talks dirty to a woman its considered sexual harassment, but when a woman talks dirty to a man its 2.50/min
(charges may vary).

2005 K1200LT with ZZ Trailer (For Touring)
Piaggio X9 500ie (for running about)
post #18 of 21 Old May 24th, 2007, 8:21 pm

Hi Dennis,

My local dealer (Carolina BMW) let me test a few of his jackets. I certainly don't want to call my test rides the definitive jacket comparison. But after riding with them I decided on the BMW "Venting Machine" made by BMW Motorrad.

While the jacket offers excellent riding protection, this is not an all weather jacket. Its black, trimmed with silver, so standing still in the sun gets warm. Also, it doesn't come with a liner, but no problem, I have warm leathers and rain suits. It's expensive even with my dealer's 30% off sale.

The jacket's main virtue is that riding with it is like riding behind a screen door!

Smith
'05 Dark Graphite
Greensboro, NC
post #19 of 21 Old May 25th, 2007, 1:03 am

I ride year around; that includes triple digits in Arizona. I wear a Joe Rocket "Phoenix" jacket with a cool vest underneath. In extreme heat, this works for about 50 miles. I stop, put my cool vest in a large zip lock baggie, pour water in and re-hydrate the vest; 50 more miles. It works very well...

2006 LT
Times dropped(so far): 2
2006 FZ-1
Speeding tickets(so far): 0

IBA

"Four things greater than all things are,-
Women and Horses and Power and War." Rudyard Kipling
post #20 of 21 Old May 25th, 2007, 1:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmpilot
I ride year around; that includes triple digits in Arizona. I wear a Joe Rocket "Phoenix" jacket with a cool vest underneath. In extreme heat, this works for about 50 miles. I stop, put my cool vest in a large zip lock baggie, pour water in and re-hydrate the vest; 50 more miles. It works very well...
I live in AZ, too, where does one obtain this "cool vest"? I need one "stat". Thanks.

Tweety1
Scottsdale, AZ
R1200S -
, MOA 24434, started in '68 on Dad's R50/2. It was mine later.
post #21 of 21 Old May 25th, 2007, 4:23 am

Full leather with armoured bits. Ok its hot but I can put up with that. I try and wear something underneath which allows a partial "disrobing" when I stop-shorts and motorcycle boots are a great fashion statement!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in