Installed Garmin 2730 on the LT... a little disappointed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2007, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Installed Garmin 2730 on the LT... a little disappointed

Got my Garmin 2730 today. Transferred about 175 mp3's to the little baby and slapped her on the LT. Since the Garmin motorcycle audio cable is mono only, I decided to try out the FM modulator that is built into the 2730. I tried several different FM frequencies, and never found a single place where I could ride around and not suffer interference from other radio stations. I ended up going back to the hard wired "mono" audio connection. I would rather have used the FM modulator where I could have stereo sound.

I called Garmin today just to confirm that all of their motorcycle power cables for the 2600,2700, and 2800 series were indeed mono, and they confirmed that all of them used the same mono cable. I am not sure if stereo sound is even available from the power jack connection.

JFYI
Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:38 pm

Headphone Jack

Just use the headphone jack on the side of the unit to send your audio to your intercom.. That mono business is for the birds...

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Just use the headphone jack on the side of the unit to send your audio to your intercom.. That mono business is for the birds...

Good Luck

John
I saw that the jack is programmable to be a headphone jack or a line out jack... but I hate to have that plug sticking out of the side of the Garmin.

I am leaving for FL Friday, so I will have to leave it alone for a few more days. I have an axillary jack in the glove box, so I might make me a shielded wire to run from the Garmin and then under the handlebar cover and under the tupperware to the glove box and just plug it in there.... but I don't really want to do that.

post #4 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:33 pm

Would a small right angle 3.5 mm plug to the side be OK? I do it that way -- it's not too bad looking. Can't see it when riding.
post #5 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitesseLT
Would a small right angle 3.5 mm plug to the side be OK? I do it that way -- it's not too bad looking. Can't see it when riding.
It will have to look ok if I go that way... I don't see any other options.
post #6 of 8 Old May 24th, 2007, 12:21 am

Do they not make an fm modulator that plugs inline with the antennae? These types typically rule out other fm signals as they are the most powerful.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

Last edited by atrovarious; May 24th, 2007 at 12:31 am.
post #7 of 8 Old May 24th, 2007, 12:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
Do they not make an fm modulator that plugs inline with the antenae? These types typically rule out other fm signals as they are the most powerful.
The Garmin 2730 has an FM modulator, but it's not the type that goes into the antenna connection. Actually, I have one of those, but I don't like it much. Maybe it's just the one I bought, but the audio quality left a little to be desired and it also reduced my radio reception slightly.
post #8 of 8 Old May 24th, 2007, 12:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_BMW
The Garmin 2730 has an FM modulator, but it's not the type that goes into the antenna connection. Actually, I have one of those, but I don't like it much. Maybe it's just the one I bought, but the audio quality left a little to be desired and it also reduced my radio reception slightly.
Yep, I have had varying success with them but found the wired ones to always be superior. The auxiliary route out of your headphone jack is going to be your best bet for music purposes. More work but think about what some of us do for the sake of ipod usage.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in