What are the chances? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:02 am Thread Starter

What are the chances?

I picked up an '01 LT on eBay back in February for a very good (no reserve, off season in Wisconsin) price. Looks like it's been through several hands, as the title was in one man's name who only purchased it a year ago, then it went to a Harley dealer, then to the dealer I got it from. Counting the original purchaser that's at least 4 hands it's been through in several cities.
Does a champaign '01 with this history sound familiar to any of our WI members? I have a couple names but have never seen them listed here. Whoever owned it took good care of it & even installed front & rear Ohlins.

Anyway, the bike did not come with any manuals, so I kept an eye out for them on eBay also (I did pick up just the Rider's Manual from my local dealer for $26. Ouch!).

Now fast forward a couple months & I found a complete package with Rider's, Radio, Service & Tech., Warranty, Dealer locator, etc. and won the auction. Reading myself to sleep one night I thought something looked familiar... the VIN matches the one on my title!

The seller of the bike & the seller of the manuals (different yet from any of the names on the title) were in towns many miles apart, as were the different addresses on the title when I got it.

Anyway, I now have service records showing all the scheduled maintenance done up to the 24k plus a few 'extras'. A pleasant surprise!

So... what are the chances???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:10 am

2nd hand bike

How did you come up with the service records? I purchased a 2002 without proof of all services that have been performed.
post #3 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:16 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabear
How did you come up with the service records? I purchased a 2002 without proof of all services that have been performed.
Sometimes a dealer can help you if you provide the VIN, depending on who performed the service. Also the dealer can let you know if there are any outstanding recall items for your specific bike as these are tracked per bike by VIN, so it is always a good idea to check. I was always able to do this by phone.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:21 am

Service

Thanks Zippy. I've had the recalls done, but the dealer here said that he could only find out what services had been performed if it was done there. On a national level he couldn't tell.
post #5 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:25 am

You should love your '01. Got mine a year ago, with under 10,000 miles. Just cracking the 20k mile mark now, with (knocking on wood) no problems. Mine was 1 owner, and he babied it, just like me.

Side note: he was getting a brand new '06 LT, so he wanted to sell! He averaged less than 2,000 miles a year on the '01!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:28 am

Wink

Quote:
Thanks Zippy. I've had the recalls done, but the dealer here said that he could only find out what services had been performed if it was done there. On a national level he couldn't tell.
Hint, when I bought my 03 it had the dealer name on the license plate frame . I was able to contact the dealer and check the service record. You can try to locate the dealers near the last location of the bike (previous owner) and call them. "Fortunately" there aren't that many dealers so your search should bear fruit.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 8 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:

In the technical & service booklet I got the mileage along with the dealer stamp were documented at each of the prescribed intervals. It doesn't specify exactly what was done, but I assume it was all the scheduled items.

I was also told by my local dealer that they could only access recall items (skid plate, etc) and that the servicing dealer would have all records. Now I know the servicing dealer so I will be calling them.
post #8 of 8 Old May 24th, 2007, 3:58 pm

I believe that is incorrect. I purchased my bike from a member on this site who lives in California. When I took my bike in for my first service, I knew of all the work that had been done at the previous dealer. Any work done by the individual was not know except what he told me.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in