Lookie, what I got -- Baron Trunk Rails - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:34 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Lookie, what I got -- Baron Trunk Rails

Yesterday UPS brought my Baron Trunk Rails, and since I did not want to wait I decided *I* (of all( are going to try to mount the rails. And folks you have to ask the ones that know me what it means when I take a tool into
my hands, especially a tool that has nothing to do with bits and bytes. But...

The whole procedure of mounting the rails took ... OK it took me 20 minutes. But that included rolling the bike out of the garage, and finding my 5mm hex keys, and ... but that has nothing to with this. Anyways from start to finish it took *ME* no more than 20 minutes.

Then I took Gremlin out for a test ride. Me likes! Now for some pics.

This is how Gremlin looks like from afar.

No, I did not clean him up yet, as I said, I JUST finished mounting the rails!

Now there is something! Now *I* get use the armrests I installed for Lanette as long as she is not riding with me.

And this shows one of the drawbacks. Currently this is open. Mike, you gotta find SOME solution here. This should be closed off. Would look better!

Yours truely:

And for the all the pics in a higher resolution:

http://picasaweb.google.com/apleschu/5222007

Now for a short rundown of the PRO's and CON's:

Pro:

-) I like the fact I get to use the backrest. The backrest that high up is truely a treat.
-) I like that I can use the Armrests
-) More storage on the bike while alone
-) I think Gremlin looks good with the Truck forward.

Con: (And I KNOW this is the first set of rails and I am the guinea pig! And also at the same time some things are just necessary, but it still needs to be mentioned.)

-) Opening the trunk latch is somewhat complicated (at least with sauges as finger as I have)
-) left and right need to be closed off
-) on the rails *I* got the slots are not long enough, BUT I guess the next tech session will take care of that.
Access underneath the seat is problematic (But Mike said that upfront)

Bottomline: I believe if Mike wants to he could develop this into a very nice product. But even now it is already worth every cent I donated to the water people. (Mike does not sell the rails ?yet? he gives you a set if you donate something to a GOOD charity, which was the reason for me to donate more. Seldomly I find the opportunity to donate to charity and get something for the bike in return. But I hope for the community he will be developing these into a product.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:41 pm

Very cool! I was thinking a Ft Worth Rack on the back with the config would be real nice, but I wonder if you would be able to work the top case latch with the rack installed. Looks tight already, but may be the angle of the pics.

As for closing up the gaps, I recall seeing a bonnet (or whatever you want to call it) that Ari made when he put his power seat mod in place. Perhaps just a bit of rubber to shroud the area might help a bit. Just thinking out loud.

I might have to get me one of those gizmos!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:46 pm

That's not for me, but the mod looks great. Thanks for the in depth write up Andy. Enjoy the new ride.

Nice work Mike.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 37 Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:32 pm

Whew... I was concerned they wouldn't work (well) on the newer models.

I wish I had arm rests... and a plaz tv... actually I am working on a touch screen display, but thats another day.

Re: CONS

1.) Yeah the latch is a little tight with one hand.
2.) I roll my rain gear up and stuff it in there. It would be cool to come up with a tool box in that area on each side.
3.) I freehanded the slots with a drill press and a die grinder. An Iron Worker that punches slots would be sweet, but I don't have that kinda money

SIDE NOTE: Under the back deck is a fair size pocket. I bagged up my spare light bulbs, fuel filters, flat fixer bottle, etc and put them in there. You can get the deck off without removing the trunk (its tight but possible) and how often would you need to access extra parts like that.

Mike Gregg
2012 K1600GTL (Oooh La La)
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)
135,000 and she treated me right.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

Last edited by BaronVonGregg; May 22nd, 2007 at 11:43 pm.
post #5 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 3:50 am

How Hard is it to Move Back and Forth?

Most of the time I ride solo. Is it a major effort to slide it back when the wife wants to come?

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #6 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 6:56 am

How long them arm rests going to last.
If I didn't kick one off first thing in the morning, I'm sure shifting my butt off the seat in some twisties would scrap them in a hurry?
Of course you may not ride that way.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #7 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 9:16 am

Eugh! Sorry but that looks lousy.
post #8 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 9:16 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
How long them arm rests going to last.
If I didn't kick one off first thing in the morning, I'm sure shifting my butt off the seat in some twisties would scrap them in a hurry?
Of course you may not ride that way.
Rock
a) The armrests fold up when not in use. See my first picture
b) They are definitely only for use on the slab
c) No, I don;t have too much opportunity here in southern texas to hang off the bike like an ape. LOL. So I may not ride that way.

Bottom line. I think they will last for a while.
post #9 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 9:22 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonGregg
2.) I roll my rain gear up and stuff it in there. It would be cool to come up with a tool box in that area on each side.
3.) I freehanded the slots with a drill press and a die grinder. An Iron Worker that punches slots would be sweet, but I don't have that kinda money

SIDE NOTE: Under the back deck is a fair size pocket. I bagged up my spare light bulbs, fuel filters, flat fixer bottle, etc and put them in there. You can get the deck off without removing the trunk (its tight but possible) and how often would you need to access extra parts like that.
ad 2) Yes, two (tool) boxes would be terfific
ad 3) I guess that is the same thing I will do to make those slots longer. Hint: Should you decide to make them into a product. some kind of a quick release mechanism for the top box would be wonderful. so that one can change the position quickly.
post #10 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 9:23 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchnerb
Most of the time I ride solo. Is it a major effort to slide it back when the wife wants to come?

Bruce
Major? No. I guess after you know exactly what to do it's about a 10 minute session.
post #11 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:09 am

Woohoo Andy. I bet the arm rests are great.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:45 am

Hmmm... Not sure about the armrests
I think they take away even more manhood out of a bike that now comes with a hydraulic center stand.
Not that I miss starting a bike engine with a kick... but there is a point when I want to scream STOP!!!
On the plus side... well, let me think... Maybe the backrest.. or not!
Nah! That is not something I would even consider. Just my opinion!
I like my bike to look like... a bike. I would use a Corbin Smuggler before I would move the top box next to my butt... That just shatters the beautiful lines of the LT.
Also I like to ride with Sport Tourers and hit the twisties. I think the backrest and armrests would definitely get in the way. I also ride a lot 2 up!
I do appreciate the creativity though... even if I don't see anything gained by moving the top case forward.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #13 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:25 am

I think everyone is missing the whole point to this post. Andy did a mechanical thang and I'm real, real proud of him!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I think everyone is missing the whole point to this post. Andy did a mechanical thang and I'm real, real proud of him!
I resemble that remark!

Alvaro

"Whatever you can do or dream you can begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Goethe

'02 K1200LT-E "Orca"
BushTech Trailer (Nugget?)
'77 GS750 Suzuki (Red Knight) (To be sold soon)

BMWMOA 131323
HDDC Posse

post #15 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 2:01 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ademarzi
I resemble that remark!
Why?

Grif got it EXACTLY right. *ME* using something like a 5mm hex is almost unheard of (and to be honest most of the time it is better I stick to the keyboard, I'm better there) but this time it was easy enough, so the even *I* was able to do the job.
post #16 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 2:15 pm

Andy, you could put a small drawer pull knob on the bottom of the latch handle. Push the button for release, pull the knob to open.

something like this:

Dunno 'bout the brass color - but brass itself would be good for weathering. Maybe a squirt of paint over it.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #17 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 3:03 pm

Interesting. Just curious, what do you anticipate the price of the rails will be?

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #18 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:31 pm

Andreas,

My "resemble that remark" was a feeble attempt at congratulating you and being funny at the same time. No offense, please.

Alvaro

"Whatever you can do or dream you can begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Goethe

'02 K1200LT-E "Orca"
BushTech Trailer (Nugget?)
'77 GS750 Suzuki (Red Knight) (To be sold soon)

BMWMOA 131323
HDDC Posse

post #19 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:44 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Andy, you could put a small drawer pull knob on the bottom of the latch handle. Push the button for release, pull the knob to open.

something like this:

Dunno 'bout the brass color - but brass itself would be good for weathering. Maybe a squirt of paint over it.
now there is an idea! I knew the collective wisdon would come up with a solution. Probably not in brass, but brushed nickel would do. Although that would require me using DANGEROUS tools like a drill. Not sure about that one.
post #20 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:45 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ademarzi
Andreas,

My "resemble that remark" was a feeble attempt at congratulating you and being funny at the same time. No offense, please.
None taken. LOL. I KNOW my limits with mechanics.
post #21 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:46 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCabranes
Interesting. Just curious, what do you anticipate the price of the rails will be?
Best you talk to Mike about that.
post #22 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 6:40 pm
ajs

I just finished making a 16 ga. stainless bracket that attaches to the underside of the OEM radio antenna on the left side of the bike that I can attach a flag pole to. The pole is made of 3/8" stainless tubing that is threaded to an 8mm x 1.25. The pole is attached by threading a bolt up through a hole in the bracket and is bent to give the same angle as the antenna. I have not cut the pole to length yet but it will be tall enough to fly a 6" x 10" Canadian and a Nova Scotia flag of the same size directly below the Canadian flag. I am guessing about 27" at this point.

This was a last minute thing I wanted to add to the bike for our cross Canada trip that starts next Friday. The stainless has been cleaned up to be presentable on the bike but I didn't take the time to do a real good polish job on it. That will come later if is passes the test at highway speeds. We will be back and forth across the Canadian - U.S. border along the way and we plan to take in the MOA rally in Wisconsin on our return if the border crossings are not too difficult.

Sorry, this got attached to the wrong thread. A similar reply has been reposted to the flag pole thread by Ari.

If anyone would like pictures I will take some and try to post them here. Just let me know.

Last edited by ajs; May 23rd, 2007 at 7:10 pm.
post #23 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCabranes
The absolute most I can get donated to Water For People...

http://www.waterforpeople.org

One very gracious member donated $300 for the rails... my utmost respect and appreciation to him.

If you go to the water for people website and donate online be sure to specify the Water Buffalo "Ride with Purpose" in your checkout process.

You will get a reciept for tax deduction immediately.

Once you have donated please email me or PM me with the amount and date so I can get credit in my totals before the big ride to Toronto.

I have raised almost $7,000 in the last month towards the charity.

GOD is Good... and so are you people.

ZBaron

Mike Gregg
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

post #24 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:09 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Yea Andy!!!

Now go and fix the Gremlin ya biscuit. Or put a Smuggler on him! I'm not so into this look with the flatbed on the back. Good for carrying spare servers and such around I bet. The lines just don't flow for me though. Hmmmm.. Although I'm sure it is comfy, and it is different!
post #25 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
even if I don't see anything gained by moving the top case forward.
Well, I crushed two vertebrae doing a double back layout on ski's 25 years ago... and had my hip replaced about six years ago due to extreme skiing. Actually that is where the BaronVonGregg came from, but thats another string on a different forum.

Anyway "For Me" its a long ride thing, and actually I like the way it looks.

I ride solo 90%

Where was all this negativity on the long original string?

Mike Gregg
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)

Last edited by BaronVonGregg; May 23rd, 2007 at 11:47 pm.
post #26 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:08 pm

orange flag missing

congrats on the mod andy. truly unique. i must say, i don't like the look. reminds me of one of those handicap scooters. the orange flag could complete the look.

just havin some fun.

if they made a trunk that filled the entire back rail... hmmm.
post #27 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:17 pm

Quote:
Well, I crushed two vertebrae doing a double back layout on ski's 25 years ago... and had my hip replaced about six years ago due to extreme skiing. Actually that is where the BaronVonGregg came from, but thats another string on a different forum.

I ride solo %90

No negativity bro, just opinions and tough love. If others like it then more power to em. I definitely enjoy seeing other versions out there and I really appreciate the ingenuity and love the donation idea. And if it actually make a hard ride more comfortable then hell yeah, go for it.

Oh, and I'll match your 2 with my 6 crushed vertebrae and a destroyed knee, among other things, all thanks to a cage running a red light and hitting me on my bike head on at 50 MPH so I understand the quest for that comfort level that we once took for granted. Cheers!
post #28 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:41 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention was handling. I like to get up my sidewalls and from side to side with the weight forward in my opinion the bike handles better.

FWIW

Mike Gregg
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)

post #29 of 37 Old May 24th, 2007, 8:38 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle
... The lines just don't flow for me though. Hmmmm.. Although I'm sure it is comfy, and it is different!
Yes, I agree the lines are different, and if now someone would make a trunk that cover the whole area I'd be game.

Now after two days of riding with the rails I can say a few more things:

-) I don't see the lines when I am riding.
-) I DO feel it to be much better having a backrest 2/3 up mu back. BOY does that make a difference

Handling? I don't know yet, I'm living in flatland here .

Bad things? Sure. I really have to find a way of closing up those holes left and right and right behind the seat. The flatbed behind the trunk does not really bother me. Then I had a friend over last night and we drilled 4 holes to move the trunk further back. That REALLY did it for me. MUCH, MUCH better, but at the same time, nor more Ft. Worth rack, since now the trunk is overlapping the original deck.
post #30 of 37 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:01 am

Wink

Quote:

I ride solo 90%

Baron, sorry if it came out as negative. I was just voicing my opinion.
I gave the thumbs up for creativity, but not for looks, and as I mentioned I ride 2-up too much to even consider this or the Corbin Smuggler.
I also come from the old school when you have to kick start your motorcycle, put it on the center stand by hand, and ride without a fairing or windshield because... they simply did not come with the bike and cost quite a bit for my young budget.
Nowadays almost all bikes start at the push of a button, and the LT gets on the centerstand also at the push at a button (that is a "feature" I would not have bought if it were an option).
On the comfort side I enjoy my Bakup backrest, but I would definitely feel claustrophobic if I also had arm-rests on my bike. I don't even like them for the passenger. Again this is my opinion.
Regarding your product I think it is great that you came up with this since there is obviously a need for it, so kudos. Also super kudos for donating the proceeds to a worthwhile cause!
On the other hand don't expect everyone to like your product. That is a risk you are taking by making public. What really matters is that you built it and that some folks will like it enough to buy it so you are satisfying a need. I wish you good luck with your endeavor!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #31 of 37 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:21 am

Emotions are free
Reason is learned
Ego's are lazy
While Honor is earned...

MG/88

I got lazy and let the free part take over.

Pleasing everyone is like trying to be Christ-like here in the Temporal... its what I strive for even though its not possible.

Back to learning and earning

"Human in Philomath"

Mike Gregg
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)

post #32 of 37 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
That's not for me, but the mod looks great. Thanks for the in depth write up Andy. Enjoy the new ride.

Nice work Mike.

yeah that.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #33 of 37 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Yes, I agree the lines are different, and if now someone would make a trunk that cover the whole area I'd be game.

Now after two days of riding with the rails I can say a few more things:

-) I don't see the lines when I am riding.
-) I DO feel it to be much better having a backrest 2/3 up mu back. BOY does that make a difference

Handling? I don't know yet, I'm living in flatland here .

Bad things? Sure. I really have to find a way of closing up those holes left and right and right behind the seat. The flatbed behind the trunk does not really bother me. Then I had a friend over last night and we drilled 4 holes to move the trunk further back. That REALLY did it for me. MUCH, MUCH better, but at the same time, nor more Ft. Worth rack, since now the trunk is overlapping the original deck.
Andy, I'm curious how easy is it getting your leg over and into your riding position? Does losing that backseat pose any issues in that regard?
post #34 of 37 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:42 am

Darren

"For Me" I step on the left peg bring my right foot up and step over (The reverse to get off, has to be on the kick stand)

Its my right hip and no issues getting my foot over.

Its definitely an inconvieniece after an eight hour ride

Mike

Mike Gregg
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)

post #35 of 37 Old May 24th, 2007, 10:51 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Yeah, what he said. getting on and off the bike is ... different. no bad, not better or worse, just different. With the trunk forward swinging a leg over is ....hmmm... not for my battered bones. I have found that I have two ways to get on and off:

-) On the centerstand I just stand on the pegs and get off that way.
-) on the sidestand it's more like pushing your leg over the seat. But then I have been doing that also for a while. so in all honesty there is almost no difference in getting on and off.
post #36 of 37 Old May 26th, 2007, 11:31 pm

I got mine today. They fit like a glove. Excellent job Mike.Now I'm going to build an aux. gas tank with rack to fit where the top box used to be for some ironbutt rides I want to do.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #37 of 37 Old May 27th, 2007, 10:37 am

Very cool - I'll bet the stereo sounds a LOT better too!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in