"Why did you take your forks off?" - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2007, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

"Why did you take your forks off?"

Here's the story. My K1200LT with 35,000 miles on it was leaking bad from it's left front fork. I knew I had to change the seals and boot. I thought why should I pay the service dept. 85.00 an hour when I can take the front end apart. So I called the service dept. and asked, "if I just bring it the forks, can you change the seals and oil?" He said no problem. So I slowly tore into the bike (I've had it apart several times, but this was the first time to remove the forks). Got to a point where I had to take a 22mm wrench, grind it down to fit, then heated it up and bent the head to an angle that would reach under the tree from the top and grasp the nut to I could unscrew the top nut and remove the forks (worked like a champ too!). I carried the forks up to the service dept. and two hours later return after eating lunch. Paid for the service, changed both fork seals, boots, new fork oil. As I picked up the forks to walk out, a mechanic stopped me and asked, "Why did you remove your forks?" I said, "The seals needed changing and new oil put in and that's what the maintenance manuel said to do." He said, "we have a way to do that without removing the forks.".....I replied, "How?" "Well, we have a way." was the answer. I thanked him for his work, drove home thinking, there's no way. How can they do that without removing the fork from the frame?
Anyway, I put the forks back on....hooked everything up and it rides fine again with the small oil puddle under the left fork afterwards....So if you ever need a tool to take your forks off? I'll give directions on how to make one or send a picture of it. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmattingly
Here's the story. My K1200LT with 35,000 miles on it was leaking bad from it's left front fork. I knew I had to change the seals and boot. I thought why should I pay the service dept. 85.00 an hour when I can take the front end apart. So I called the service dept. and asked, "if I just bring it the forks, can you change the seals and oil?" He said no problem. So I slowly tore into the bike (I've had it apart several times, but this was the first time to remove the forks). Got to a point where I had to take a 22mm wrench, grind it down to fit, then heated it up and bent the head to an angle that would reach under the tree from the top and grasp the nut to I could unscrew the top nut and remove the forks (worked like a champ too!). I carried the forks up to the service dept. and two hours later return after eating lunch. Paid for the service, changed both fork seals, boots, new fork oil. As I picked up the forks to walk out, a mechanic stopped me and asked, "Why did you remove your forks?" I said, "The seals needed changing and new oil put in and that's what the maintenance manuel said to do." He said, "we have a way to do that without removing the forks.".....I replied, "How?" "Well, we have a way." was the answer. I thanked him for his work, drove home thinking, there's no way. How can they do that without removing the fork from the frame?
Anyway, I put the forks back on....hooked everything up and it rides fine again with the small oil puddle under the left fork afterwards....So if you ever need a tool to take your forks off? I'll give directions on how to make one or send a picture of it. lol.
I hope you meant to say without the oil puddle!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:40 pm

For sure...

You're right Tony...
I had to read that last part several times as i scratched my head in wonder

BMWMOA #132765
2007 K1200LT Storm Gray Metallic
2003 F650GS Dakar

"Yoroshiku onegai shimasu"

post #4 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

They most likely just pull the front wheel and drop the lowers off while leaving the uppers on the bike. It is not like there are any shock towers or metering valves in there - just sliders. All the shock action is from the single unit on the telelever.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 9 Old May 24th, 2007, 6:48 am Thread Starter

No matter how many times I reread that....

I still miss my mistakes. Yes, I meant to say WITHOUT the oil puddle.
post #6 of 9 Old May 25th, 2007, 12:19 am

That's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
They most likely just pull the front wheel and drop the lowers off while leaving the uppers on the bike. It is not like there are any shock towers or metering valves in there - just sliders. All the shock action is from the single unit on the telelever.
That is what the mechanic and service manager told me how to do it. Just drop the front wheel disconnect the telelever from the wheel/lower sliders and pull the sliders out. Pull the old seals from the top. put the new seals on and slide them up then make sure each lower tube is half full. That is the Readers Digest version.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #7 of 9 Old May 25th, 2007, 11:30 am
was

Yeah, but think of all the pleasure you miss if you don't have to sweat it out, make your own tool . . . and then it works! Good on ya, cmattingly, ya got the job done. Hey, btw, you might want to fill in your profile in case someone wants to contact you about the toolm might come in very handy for other purposes too. (Personally, I want to know if you're related to Don Mattingly!).

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #8 of 9 Old May 25th, 2007, 6:15 pm

Question How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
... Pull the old seals from the top. put the new seals on and slide them up then make sure each lower tube is half full. That is the Readers Digest version.
Sounds good, but how do you "make sure the lower tube is half full"? And full of what? Do the forks take regular fork oil?

Also, why couldn't you just fill the lower tubes with the proper amount of oil before sliding them on? As I understand the system, the oil is only there as a lube for the bushings anyway, so it shouldn't need to go in the top.

GB
post #9 of 9 Old May 29th, 2007, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

yes I am...but not the baseball player...lol

My cousin Don Mattingly is a southern Baptist preacher who used to work at Baylor University in Waco, but now works in Georgia....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in