Do I Ride like a wooss!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Do I Ride like a wooss!!

OK, I ride as fast as I want, where I can see - if I can't see, I'm ready to stop - hit a corner hot, and there's a pregnant nun pushing a pram - do you hit that blind corner thinking 'the last 20 times I've bin round it's been clear or if you can't see, - dead slow, I'd do the latter.?. Still not bin squished - what do you do?????

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 3:52 pm

What the hell is a pram??

I ride on the safe side. If I don't know 100% what is coming up, I slow down until I do!

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)

post #3 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:08 pm

in slow, out fast !!!

post #4 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:14 pm

No such thing as a pregnant Nun.... otherwise I think you're not a woos.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:14 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_but_Happy
Oh that's short for perambulator.
Next question

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #6 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:15 pm

I obey all speed limits and caution signs ALL OF THE TIME! HONEST!!!
post #7 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_but_Happy

I ride on the safe side. If I don't know 100% what is coming up, I slow down until I do!

This is a pram:

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:24 pm

I ride so that I can see any obstacles. Around corners, I make sure that I can stop within the distance that I can see. I leave enough room for the gators flying out from under that truck in front of me - whatever. I try to leave braking/manuevering room.

I also ride like I'm invisible - I assume that NO ONE can see me, and they're all about to cut me off.

Within the above criteria, I ride as fast as I can; without exceeding speed limit by more than 5-6 mph.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

Last edited by hallzee; May 22nd, 2007 at 6:11 pm.
post #9 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:26 pm

Pram is British for baby stroller. Here in central Wisconsin, if you can't see 1/4 mile ahead, you NEED to ride like a woosss. The alternative is kissing a deer (DNR's cash crop).
post #10 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:30 pm

I ride to always be able to stop safely and on my side of the road within the distance that I can see. With corners it is not in slow and out fast, nor is it brake late as possible round the bend and get on the gas early either (that is formula one racing) for me it is one speed throughout the bend with an adjustment if required to maintain my stopping ability.

This system of riding has been in use by the police riders here and believe me once a police cycle is behind you you are not going to shake them off.

Went to an advanced training session and at it were a usual mix of bikes and riders there for different reasons.

Some to learn more and help to stay safe and alive (good reason)
Some to get a cheaper insurance discount (not so good but we can work with it)
Some because the judge sent them (oh boy, ah well we will try our best)

Two from the last group on their GSX 1100's went out following the "old git" as they so nicely put it on his ageing BMW R series. The old git in question being a 30 year vet of police instructor school. Whilst they may have been able to blast his beemer on the straight they could not keep up in the curves. While they plowed around upsetting the balance of the bikes in every turn he just pulled away smooth as you like not slowing for the corners. Opened their eyes and made them decide to listen.
You must always be able to stop within the distance you can see. You may want to risk your life and that is up to you but the Nun around the corner did not sign up to take your risk so leave her out of it. Remember one day it may be you crossing the road who looks up to see the wide eyes of a too fast biker starring at you just before he runs you over so pass the message you can enjoy the ride and the curves and get all the excitment you want and still be safe.

Mike.

P.S. Before anyone asks I was there as part of my advance training towards Code 1 bike response (lights and sirens, believe you call it code 3 on your side of the pond)
post #11 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:34 pm

Yes, "Code Three" over here.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #12 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:02 pm

One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand space between mc and auto or truck in front of us.

If I can't see the if there is gravel or sand on the road, I slow down so that I see what's ahead of me.

I'm lucky to have survived my days or waring a patch, and seeing how fast I could go through blind corners.

Same for adding 10 mph, or more, onto the posted speed limit, I survived that stage of my life. I marvel at people in trucks, vans and SUVs passing me on the interstate when I'm doing 80 mph in a 75 mph. It's easy to control a skid or blow out in those vehicles at 85-95 mph!

Bob
post #13 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355pilot
With corners it is not in slow and out fast, nor is it brake late as possible round the bend and get on the gas early either (that is formula one racing) for me it is one speed throughout the bend with an adjustment if required to maintain my stopping ability.

This system of riding has been in use by the police riders here and believe me once a police cycle is behind you you are not going to shake them off.
I was always wondering why no motorcycle cop ever won a formula one race.
post #14 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355pilot

Oh boy, do I have tales to tell But only in person and for a decent fee

Not to mention the two motocops that took up roadracing with me and couldn't keep up with my GPZ305 while they were on GPZ750's.

Now ducking for cover!

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #15 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
I'm lucky to have survived my days or waring a patch, and seeing how fast I could go through blind corners.

Same for adding 10 mph, or more, onto the posted speed limit, I survived that stage of my life. I marvel at people in trucks, vans and SUVs passing me on the interstate when I'm doing 80 mph in a 75 mph. It's easy to control a skid or blow out in those vehicles at 85-95 mph!

Bob
I'll 2nd that
I hit the K rails at 57mph, when I had a front left blow out in a 1 ton step van. At a very strong 350lb (powerlifter), I could not wrestle the truck from scraping the barrier. Scared the shit out off me, as I slid along with only that little bit of concrete between me and oncoming traffic. It being a step van the doors was open!
Plus how you gonna hit on the Nun for a date if your going to fast
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #16 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:39 am

Hey Joe?

Since you are always doing the speed limit or below? How about letting me borrow/have that V-1 that you must never turn on.

Glen
Litchfield
post #17 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhinegardner
Hey Joe?

Since you are always doing the speed limit or below? How about letting me borrow/have that V-1 that you must never turn on.
I's like to, but I can't. When I see that a radar trap is up ahead, I keep hitting my brakes as to show all the speeders behind me that they have to slow down. Just another service I offer!
post #18 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:21 am

I guess I'm a woos. If I cannot see around the corner, I slow down a bit.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #19 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:27 am

After 17yrs Law Enforcement i can say first hand the majotity of cops (my exper. two states) go fffaassst , they just have Badge Americard.....
post #20 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:05 am

If being cautious in areas where visibility is limited makes you a woos, then count me in. I'd rather be a woos and have a loooooooong riding career than be agressive with a short one!

Like they say in flying "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots!".

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #21 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:19 pm

I never ride faster than I can see.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #22 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

So - . . . bottom line, most people here ride like me - highest speed on Satnag , on the LT woz about 127, I don't hang about, but I ride within my 'braking distance' - just can't believe some of the riders who tag up with our possy ride into blind corners at suicidal speeds, and call me a 'Wooss' - Ride your own Ride !! - ride as fast as you can see, keep defensive, and Stay Safe.

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #23 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 2:47 pm

Don't mean to kill the humor here, but graduated high school with 5 other buddies riding bikes. Now only two of us(18 years later). Always a big tree or telephone pole on the other side of 'Deadman's Curve' has been the experience. I got lucky, always been a cornfield for me to land in...

I ride safe now, by knowing what's there around the curve, not finding out the hard way.

'09 K12LT 'Under Warranty' (34k+)
'08 K12LT the 'Hearse' 30K(traded)
'05 R12GS 'Ride 'n Dirty' 40K(traded)
'05 K12LT 'Magic Carpet Ride' 48K (traded for '08)
'05 K12S 'Sweet Emotion' 3K (traded in order to stay alive)
'00 R12C 'Bare Bones' 15K (sold)
post #24 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 3:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
...just can't believe some of the riders who tag up with our possy ride into blind corners at suicidal speeds, and call me a 'Wooss'
While we're talking about "woosses" and all . . .

I believe this word is actually spelled "W-U-S-S". It's a blend of two words, ain't it? Wimp. And Puss. Therefore: Wuss. Tada!

OK . . . I feel better now.
post #25 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I believe this word is actually spelled "W-U-S-S". It's a blend of two words, ain't it? Wimp. And Puss. Therefore: Wuss. Tada!

OK . . . I feel better now.
Can't believe it, me, being a decadent plutocrat Brit (with a classical education) being corrected by one of our ex - old colonials . . .

Joe, you're right (but don't let anyone see this !)

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #26 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:03 pm

That's right, two countries seperated by a common language... Care to explain what "knocked up" means on your side of the creek??
post #27 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor
That's right, two countries seperated by a common language... Care to explain what "knocked up" means on your side of the creek??
... as in 'you 'knocked up' you buddies misses' - one of the few times you'd use the phrase 'knocked up' as opposed to other bits of commonly used Anglo Saxon.

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #28 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:50 pm

I always liked the, "ellow duckie" whatever that means...
post #29 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaboots
I always liked the, "ellow duckie" whatever that means...
And what about "Bob's your uncle"? That one still cracks me up!
post #30 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:12 pm

That's a new one inspector...i mean Joe.
post #31 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 8:12 pm

The one I like is...."US is just like UK all we are lacking is a history"
post #32 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2007, 8:36 pm

I'm me 'Mums farvorite SOD'

Other than that, never ride faster than you can forsee, or stop, or bail, or soil yourself.......

...my mother built starters for merlins....they mostly wound up in Lancasters and Mosquito's....spent most of her nights sleeping in the 'tube' for quite a long time....still alive today, and still complains about "onion farts"....

She loves my BMW....

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #33 of 36 Old May 24th, 2007, 1:04 am

Yep I am a wuss also and stick to speeds dependent on how far I can see but remember there is nothing wrong with speed in the right place.

There is the old saying "speed doesn't kill, inappropriate speed kills"

Mike

P.S. of course that saying goes right out of the window if you get a blow out so remember your pre ride checks.
post #34 of 36 Old May 24th, 2007, 2:01 am

I would rather be a live Woos (Wuss) than a dead hero.

Zapman
Strand
South Africa

03 KL1200LT
"Keep the shiny side up and the rubber on the road"
post #35 of 36 Old May 24th, 2007, 3:21 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
OK, I ride as fast as I want, where I can see - if I can't see, I'm ready to stop - hit a corner hot, and there's a pregnant nun pushing a pram - do you hit that blind corner thinking 'the last 20 times I've bin round it's been clear or if you can't see, - dead slow, I'd do the latter.?. Still not bin squished - what do you do?????
Howdy Woolly,

On another site, a rider who happened to be the woman's racing champion, asked a question about achieving "the perfect line". The essence of the question IMO was, "is it possible to achieve the perfect line on the street?"

My answers:

On track it is objective, measureable, stop watch. On the road, it's up to each of us to determine when we've done it, subjective, compromised.
edit add: Girl, or should I say "Your Highness", 2006 Queen of Mosport in Canada, do I feel stupid thinking I could assist you on the perfect line on the track. Congratulations and the all the best in your 2007 campaign, eh.

On the road it is a LOT more complex. Safety is the number one concern. You could say that about the track, but there it's more about not wanting the expense and hassle of a wreck rather than fear of getting hurt. There are so many variables on the road, animals, surface adhesion, line of sight, probability of obstacles, on-coming cars and trucks, etc., that a line that is chosen is always a compromise. It is up to me to determine if it was the "perfect" compromise.

As an example; I was out on the GS this Sunday moving at an 8/10ths pace and came up on a stretch of the road had sand through a corner. Coming up to it I could see that the cars had cleared the tire paths, "tracks", of sand. It was a blind "left-hander" and so the "perfect line" was on the right hand track dead center. Of course, pace was reduced, still 8/10ths, but such that the line could be adjusted quickly and should the track through the sand disappear, I could shed enough speed to finish the turn....upright. Perfect? Well, if not, then it was damn close.

On the K-R in logging country, the probability of a logging truck being halfway into my lane suggests a compromise line that has the apex at the center of my lane. Is the line perfect? It is if a Peterbuilt shows itself stradling the double-yellow. Will I be as fast as a squid hugging the line, probably not..., then again, Darwin will sort it out.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #36 of 36 Old May 25th, 2007, 12:10 am
Ted

Quote:
do you hit that blind corner thinking 'the last 20 times I've bin round it's been clear
aaahhh - very "Janklow-esque".

It's line-of-sight for me....and if I get left behind, so be it!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in