brake hose failure, question on replacing the clutch line - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 22nd, 2007, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy brake hose failure, question on replacing the clutch line

I experienced a failure Saturday on the front brakes of my 01 LT. It was the brake hose that goes from the front right caliper up about 6" to a T where the front left caliper hard line connects then up into the front suspension area another 12". It blew out just above where the rubber hose leaves the T block . I had been noticing the lever wasn't hard when I would first pull it, so I attempted to bleed any air out of the system and then noticed I was able to pull the lever all the way which I knew was wrong. Then all of a sudden I heard the hose go. Fortunately it happened in the driveway.

I have decided to go with SS Braided and replace all the hoses since they are all 7 years old as well as the clutch line. I found them (Spiegler) for a good price at Eurotechmotorsports.com. The front/rear hoses with crush washers $155 S-BM0140 (discount due to overstock), the clutch hose was regular price $67 S-BM0153.

My question is, I'm going to replace the clutch hose from the clutch lever to the clutch but I haven't so far been able to get the right spot open where the hose attaches to the clutch. What panel/parts do I need to remove to access this hose. anyone got pictures?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joe and Robin
2001 K1200LTC 60K miles
space coast of Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Remove the rear wheel and look over the top of the swing arm pivot. You will find the slave cylinder where the feed line from the grip and the bleed line that goes over to the right side crash bar attach. Not sure how easy it is to change the lines.Glad the brake line went in the driveway - Whew!

This link will give you a general idea where it is.

http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayim...lbum=15&pos=23

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old May 31st, 2007, 11:55 pm

i guess it would be better if you took see the mechanic and let him do the repair of your BMW brake hose. you have the same problem as with my brother and that's the only thing he did. he replaced the brake hose damage and other stuffs.

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 9:46 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavamanz
I have decided to go with SS Braided and replace all the hoses since they are all 7 years old as well as the clutch line. I found them (Spiegler) for a good price at Eurotechmotorsports.com. The front/rear hoses with crush washers $155 S-BM0140 (discount due to overstock), the clutch hose was regular price $67 S-BM0153.
My question is, I'm going to replace the clutch hose from the clutch lever to the clutch but I haven't so far been able to get the right spot open where the hose attaches to the clutch. What panel/parts do I need to remove to access this hose. anyone got pictures?
Cez's link above appears to go to a BMW car parts dealer. You will be fine with the Spiegler SS hoses for the brake lines. I didn't know that they make one for the clutch as well. Replacing the brake lines is tedious, but not all that difficult. Caution: since you have an '01, after replacing the lines you will have to bleed the brakes. I think that '01s came with the Partial Integral/ABS systems. I do not know if bleeding this brake system is as complex on an '01 as on an '05. Read the articles and threads related to bleeding the brakes before you jump in. As you will see from the link that John provided, the DOT4 brake fluid in the clutch system (yep, brake fluid in the hydraulic portion of the clutch system) activates a clutch slave cylinder when the left handgrip lever is pulled. That slave cylinder is pretty well buried, hemmed in by the horizontal pivot housing for the swing arm to the rear, the driveshaft/tranny connection housing to the right, etc. There are two banjo bolts for hydraulic lines on top of the slave cylinder; one for the line from the lever, the other for a line out to the right side of bike near the rear of the tip over crash bar for bleeding the clutch system. I don't know if you can get a wrench on the banjo bolts without removing the swing arm. I would not even try it because the bolts have to be torqued to spec when you put in new lines and I can't see how that would be possible with the swingarm in place. But maybe it is! Let us know what you find out. Good luck.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

Last edited by was; Jun 1st, 2007 at 9:51 am. Reason: error on year of bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in