how many miles are too many on a new purchase? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 22nd, 2007, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

how many miles are too many on a new purchase?

I am trying to decide how many miles are too many to buy an LT with. I have seen many bikes with 40-75k miles. I am looking at one that has 75k but the bike has a new clutch, new shaft bearings, new rear main seal all done at 72k. Is this too many for an LT? I had a 2000 and put 20k on without a problem but how are these in higher mileage?

Any help on my dilema?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 22nd, 2007, 3:25 pm

No recommendations here as I do not know the bike or seller that you are considering, but here is my experience:

I bought a 2000 LT-C with 75k +/- on it. Had recent clutch, ABS pump, final drive, etc, and all main records through dealership. Seller also enjoyed an excellent reputation among folks here, which I was able to confirm after spending just a few minutes with him.

Bike was great, and I enjoyed riding it, right up until the time it was totaled by a DWHUA cager. Can't blame the bike for that.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:01 pm

I really think it comes down to the selling price when comparing it to other bikes with less miles. But as for buying an LT with 75K on it that has a new clutch, new shaft bearings, and a new rear main seal . . . I don't see what else could go wrong. Famous last words.

post #4 of 4 Old May 22nd, 2007, 5:14 pm

At 84k on my 02 LTC, I recently dropped $2k to have all the trans seals replaced, also the slave and the clutch (ya, got it wet).

I thought they had to do a rear main but it was tranny leaks all the way.

I have some decent upgrades but not a lot, ie, ohlin shocks, HID low beam and the bmw passenger footrests, corbin seat in front, so I'm happy with the setup.

I can say my bike is running smoother and better than it ever has at 84k now. Still, its probably only worth about 8k maybe if I sold it today??

I'm not sure what I'd do, depends on money, the owner, etc. Everyone that knows me always wants my machines when I'm done with them because I keep them maintained. I have to, they are my primary transpo.

I'd always prefer to buy new if possible but there are some seriously juicy deals on nearly-new bikes in the classifeds here all the time.

good luck...geo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in