clutch slipping, how to R&R? thanx - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:12 am Thread Starter

clutch slipping, how to R&R? thanx

I purchased a 2003 k1200lt on ebay over the winter with only 7000 miles on it and warranty just out by six months and low and behold the clutch is slipping. I am able to do the fix but need some tech help and short cuts?
any info would be greatly appreciated? thanx Mark Appleton WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:24 am

Might want to take a look at these two threads. Be sure to raise the frame from the bike nofurther than is necesarry to get the tranny and clutch out!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=clutch

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19720

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:04 am Thread Starter

should i buy a bike lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Might want to take a look at these two threads. Be sure to raise the frame from the bike nofurther than is necesarry to get the tranny and clutch out!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=clutch

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19720

will do. should I purchase one of those bike lifts?
thanx again Mark

post #4 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by madejasmile
thanx again Mark
A lift is only a convenience, not a necessity in any stretch of the imagination. I for one would not spend the money for a lift unless I planned to do MAJOR work on a motorcycle several times a year.

I have done just about everything to an LT, including tranny/clutch removal and full engine removal, no lift needed. In fact, in my opinion for some of the major work the lift would be IN THE WAY! I feel a lift is a convenience for oil changes, tire work etc, to get the bike up at a "sitting" level, but not a real help in major component removal.

See pictures in this post: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=26

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:36 am

Quote:
thanx again Mark
I agree with David... and you must remember... a lift seems huge when you have to store it. Unless you have a very large shop/garage it's going to be in the way after the motorcycle repair is done. There is no doubt that a lift would be nice while you are doing the repair, but in my case, the inconvenience of having to find a place to keep it would be a bigger hassle than sitting on the floor for a couple of evenings while I do a repair.
post #6 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I purchased a 2003 k1200lt on ebay over the winter with only 7000 miles on it and warranty just out by six months and low and behold the clutch is slipping. I am able to do the fix but need some tech help and short cuts?
any info would be greatly appreciated? thanx Mark Appleton WI
Did you talk to a dealer or two about getting BMW to OK a warranty fix? Partial coverage or some cost sharing could save you some big money. Even though the bike is over the time you can certainly argue that clutch, engine seals, clutch slave cylinder, etc. should be good for more than 7K unless there was some sort of manufacturing defect. And these bikes have had a history of leaks contaminating the clutch.

BMW OK'd a radio replacement for me after the warranty expired, but I had been working with the service guys building a history of malfunctioning.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 Old May 22nd, 2007, 2:25 pm

Although I certainly agree that a lift is not a necessity, because of my bad knees and back I cannot imagine doing a clutch repair without one. David is the man! I saw the pictures he took and my first thought was, "Man, my back and knees would be killing me!" The pictures were amazing!

Now...would I purchase one just to do this job? For me, it simply would depend on how expensive one was and the amount of funds available. My lift comes in AWFULLY handy at times and having used one, I consider it a MAJOR help in performing labor!

You could look at it as a wise expense, because by doing the job yourself, you are going to save enough $$$ to buy a lift...at least that might be a great excuse to explain to your wife why you "need" one.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 12:53 am

will purchase BMW clutch from fedex today..i got trouble with my clutch too, need to bring it to the shop nearby and do some repair..
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 1st, 2007, 10:53 am

Unhappy Wrong site??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizel
will purchase BMW clutch from fedex today..i got trouble with my clutch too, need to bring it to the shop nearby and do some repair..

Hi,
I didn't see a BMW motorcycle clutch on that site. Looked like a car site to me.
Just my .02's
Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in