Noob question: Please tell me about the electric centrestand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:08 am Thread Starter

Noob question: Please tell me about the electric centrestand

I am trying to choose a bike to carry my wife in comfort. We rode an Electra Glide Classic 325 miles one day last week. Long story short: not the bike for me, but she enjoyed it. Now we are down to the GL1800 and the K1200LT. Based solely on the saddles, my preference has been the Wing. But I heard today that there is an electric centrestand on newer LTs.

You see, my wife has rheumatoid arthritis that interferes with much of her daily activity. I have to lift her leg over the bike before she can get on or off. I don't enjoy pulling a bike upright from the sidestand with her aboard, and am very nervous about putting a bike on its sidestand with her on the back.

The question, then, is, will this electric centrestand operate with two people aboard the bike? Up and down?

I would miss my RT if I traded it for an LT, but riding with my wife would make up for it.

Oh, and I know that I could learn by reading this forum, but what is the general thought about stock vs custom saddles, especially for the passenger? I did a SS1000 on the RT with a stock seat. The last 300 miles were painful, but I thought the stock seat was pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2007, 1:04 am

Ron,

The centerstand will normally raise with 2-up, mine does.

Coming off the stand, you just give the bike a little rock forward and off it comes.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:07 am

God bless you wife for gettin' on your bike in thye first place! You go, girl!

Once she rides on the LT, she'll forget all about the RT and bust you upside the head for not gettin' the LT to begin with!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

post #4 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2007, 5:19 am
cws

Garage
When it comes to the "better" half, the LT wins hands down for comfort. That rear seat is great.
Electric centrestand is a no-brainer, once you learn that you CAN'T HAVE THE BRAKES ON when deploying it, so always try to pick a fairly flat spot to park. ( Somehow I always seem to have to park slightly uphill, just to make it a little more difficult holding the bike to put it on the stand, then extra fun rocking it off the stand uphill...)
BTW, the LT shouldn't fall off the centrestand, but it can roll off the sidestand!! (Read the FAQ's)

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:07 am

Hi,

The centre stand is great, has no problems lifting the bike when two up. My wife rode with me on the LT for the first time last weekend, 6 hours in the saddle and she said the seat was fantastic. (soft touch seat) We've come from an RT and she used to get uncomfortable after about 1 hour.

All I have to do for her is move the top box back as she was getting pushed forward by the backrest. Moving the topbox was easy, the instructions are in the manual.

Cheers

Brendan
post #6 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
I would miss my RT if I traded it for an LT, but riding with my wife would make up for it.
You know what they say . . . if the wife's not happy, YOU'RE not happy.

A few more comments... The electric centerstand was introduced on the '05 models here in the States. I believe that translates to the '04 models in Canada. As for the stock seat, I absolutely loved my stock seat on my '02 LT. I did 1000-mile + days easily. Then again, I did 1,200 miles on the stock seat of my new GT a couple of weeks ago...and most people think the thing is a torture device. Different strokes for different folks, eh?
post #7 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:43 am

you and your wife will love it

My wife loves her seat. She is able to ride twice the distance as on other bikes and just needs to get off from time to time to stretch her legs. For me the stock seat sucked (2006) I have sent it off to Russell and it is suppose to be back Thursday. We have not had any problems with the centerstand 2up. I think you need to take your wife for a nice ride on the LT. I think you both will be hooked.
post #8 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:19 am

Had a GW & HD - while the SO would OCCASIONALLY ride with me on those - more so on the GW, she'll ride all the time on the LT - she loves the looks too.

Happy wife=happy rider
post #9 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:51 am

Quote:
You see, my wife has rheumatoid arthritis that interferes with much of her daily activity. I have to lift her leg over the bike before she can get on or off. I don't enjoy pulling a bike upright from the sidestand with her aboard, and am very nervous about putting a bike on its sidestand with her on the back.
When I stop for gas I always put the bike on the side stand with Kathy on the back. The side stand is sturdy enough and will not fail you, and as an extra precaution you can leave the bike in first gear to make sure it won't roll forward and fall on its side.

Quote:
The question, then, is, will this electric centrestand operate with two people aboard the bike? Up and down?
It will work, however I recommend that you stand on both feet with your weight off the saddle to keep the weigh to a minimum when actuating the center stand. I feel the bike is heavy enough by itself, and more so with passenger, so why push it...?

Quote:
Spoken like a true gentleman!

Quote:
Oh, and I know that I could learn by reading this forum, but what is the general thought about stock vs custom saddles, especially for the passenger? I did a SS1000 on the RT with a stock seat. The last 300 miles were painful, but I thought the stock seat was pretty good.
Different strokes for different butts... Wait a minute... Let me re-phrase that!!! You will probably get many opinions about stock and after-market seats. My buddy Doug just got a Bill Mayer seat and is less than impressed by it and the customer service. Some love the Rick Mayer seats, others the Corbin. Bigger/taller people go for the Russell... If you live and ride in a dry state then the Kontour seat might fit the bill. You will definitely have to do your own research.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2007, 1:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just one other comment in addition to all that was said regarding the hydraulic stand. You really want to make sure the ground is level when you deploy the stand. While it will easily raise on the stand, it can be a little challenging rocking it off the stand and holding the bike up when it touches down at an angle. My .02 worth.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2007, 5:44 pm

Hey bud,

My centerstand raised both of us up, but you always have to be on a flat and level surface because while you do it you can't have your hands on the brakes or anything other than the button to raise you. Our combined weight with gear has been close to 400lbs I'd guess. "MOST OF THAT BEING ME" (said for safety)

With the bike up on the stand you simply rock forward after getting onboard and she'll come down very easily and is ready to go.

Another feature I really like for two up riding is the electric windshield which allows you to change your bubble to accomodate different situations on the fly. We tried the 07' Ultra Classic and 07' GoldWing as well as others and her favorite by far was the LT accross the board, especially comfort. For these options you'll want to look at an 05 or newer. I just saw some new bikes placed online for sale. You should be able to pickup an 06' for around $16K.

For me I'm looking as getting a different saddle for longer rides. Just a little insight on me, I'm missing 40% if my right kneecap and have 6 broken vertebrae among other things and that center stand really is sweet at times. God help me if she ever goes down though! But that would be true with any of the big bikes. I basically bought the LT for us with two up riding and kept a lighter bike for when I ride alone. Whenever we ride she always tells me how much she enjoys the LT though and is happy I bought it for the two of us. Good Luck!
post #12 of 14 Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:19 am

One converts experience...

I traded up to the LT after 19 years on my faithful '88 Venture. Both the wife and I are very happy with the new ride. She also has a little difficulty mounting and dismounting so I've done everything I can to make her comfortable. The biggie was the passenger floorboards ($$$) that can be raised for her short legs. She thinks the rear seat is what she calls "a bit wide" but comfortable none the less. I also added a pair of Eagle One arm rests that she absolutely loves.

For myself, it's taken a little getting used to. It took a while for me to learn how to shift smoothly, the engine likes to spin a bit higher than the 1300cc Yamaha did before shifting. Also, the famous, or infamous, top heaviness takes a bit of getting used to at slow speeds, although the Venture was no slouch in this regard either. Personally, I like the way a top heavy ride performs at speed in the twisties.

The wife used to stay on the Venture when fueling but the LT leans a LOT further and she is not comfortable staying on it. I always fuel on the side stand as this is what is recommended in the manual. The power center stand is awsome and many raise the LT while seated on the saddle with no problem. FWIW the manual suggests that you not do this and I always have the wife dismount and remove my weight from the saddle before actuating the stand. Even at that it crapped out on me early on and had to be replaced. That's one of the great features not mentioned earlier, the BMW warranty is first rate at 36,000 miles or three years.

The stock drivers seat is no better or worse than any stock seat I've ever sat on. Everyone's tush is different and you will have to sort this out on your own. I hope to get to see and discuss different solutions at this year's MOA rally in Wisconsin.

Good luck with whatever you settle on.

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

post #13 of 14 Old May 24th, 2007, 7:50 pm

Centre stand

I have to throw a small spanner in the works here.In my owners manual for my 2005 UK spec LT, it says that the stand should be engaged with no pillion aboard. I never saw this at first and used it with the wife onboard.The control unit and ram failed after 14k mile,but was replaced under warranty with no problem.I now only use it with no pillion and I stand up and remove as much wait as possible to help it along. Still agreat idea though.

Dean

Just booked a table for two for me and the wife. It was bound to end in tears though - she's crap at snooker.

Such an unfair world. When a man talks dirty to a woman its considered sexual harassment, but when a woman talks dirty to a man its £2.50/min
(charges may vary).

2005 K1200LT with ZZ Trailer (For Touring)
Piaggio X9 500ie (for running about)
post #14 of 14 Old May 24th, 2007, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

This gadget seems to be what I am looking for. I'll have to make sure that I don't abuse it.

Now, to get a job and some cash flow......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in