New member-1st question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

New member-1st question

So here's my first question about my 02 LT.... So I'm reading all about a couple of issues to look out for and wanted to check to see if the PO/dealer has put tethers on the mirrors yet(before the wife knocks them off in the garage). So how do you knock the mirrors off(from what direction?) to verify if the tethers are there?

Sunshine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:56 pm

Welcome to the forum, Sunshine.

Rap the mirror with the heel of your hand along the outside leading edge. If it falls to the floor and breaks, there is no tether and you saved your wife the aggravation of finding this out for you.

If you're not feeling so helpful, you can hold your other hand under the mirror and grab/catch it so it does not fall.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:57 pm

Hold the mirror with one hand and with the other firmly tap the outer edge of the inside mirror area with the palm of your hand, again from the mirror side, (the side you can see the mirror from), tapping outwards.

When putting it back on you'll see 3 points that the mirror connects to. You'll line those up as close as you can see and then from the outside of the mirror firmly pop it back in place by hitting it with the palm of your hand.

post #4 of 18 Old May 21st, 2007, 10:38 pm

replacements parts for mirror

I bought a used LT and the previous owner connected the mirrors with fishing wire, but not until several apparent drops. Is there a good source to buy the plastic components within the mirrors? Mine are a little cracked. Don't need to buy the whole assembly.
post #5 of 18 Old May 21st, 2007, 10:39 pm

Don't Hit Mirrors on

Dealer showed me a very simple way to put the mirrors back on, Just get the three points lined up and push very firmly in place. Hitting the mirror has the chance of breaking the plastic. Chuck
post #6 of 18 Old May 21st, 2007, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

I just went outside to the garage and whacked the mirror and off it came now that I know how. I see now that it mounts with 3 balls with spring wires holding it. That's a no-brainer on losing it down the road. I guess I'm off to the garage now to get some wire and some 10-32 ring terinals so I can solder the terminals on the ends. Now maybe the wife will knock the mirrors off and maybe I'll get that $125 cup holder out of sympathy...LOL Thanks for the help guys-

Sunshine
post #7 of 18 Old May 21st, 2007, 11:23 pm

Or you can do what many of us around here do. . . use a nice zip-tie as a tether. There are those that recommend the black ones for UV protection, but not much light/UV inside the mirror housing I suppose.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 18 Old May 21st, 2007, 11:32 pm Thread Starter

I think I'll stick with some small cable crimped and soldered to some heavy-duty ring terminals. After being a mechanic for a long time, I'm not a real big fan of the zip-ties. Besides, out here in AZ the heat is REALLY tough on stuff...
post #9 of 18 Old May 21st, 2007, 11:40 pm

You'll love the group Sunny. Lots of great help and suggestions are always here. I use the zip ties, but replace them every few months when I am wrenching on her, just to make sure they never have the chance to get brittle.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #10 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2007, 5:43 am

Light nylon cord tied with a bowline knot at both ends...............

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #11 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by painlessbob
Is there a good source to buy the plastic components within the mirrors? Mine are a little cracked. Don't need to buy the whole assembly.
Not that I've ever seen. Gotta buy the whole thang from your friendly, local BMW shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
I think I'll stick with some small cable crimped and soldered to some heavy-duty ring terminals. After being a mechanic for a long time, I'm not a real big fan of the zip-ties. Besides, out here in AZ the heat is REALLY tough on stuff...
Sounds like a great plan. Being a phone guy, I use cable ties a LOT. The black ones are all I'll use in these situations, as they have UV protectants in them. But nylon-coated cables are what I used on my LT.
post #12 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:47 am

Welcome to the group Sunshine... You have just tapped in to the best repository of LT knowledge short of the BMW factory.....

Rich in Florida
post #13 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:20 am

fishing leaders

Several members recommended using fishing leaders. I bought a package of stainless steel leaders with a 30lb rating and they work great. Easy on easy off.
post #14 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferggie
Several members recommended using fishing leaders. I bought a package of stainless steel leaders with a 30lb rating and they work great. Easy on easy off.
But what happens when you're crusing at 80mph and you hit a bridge and a mirror(s) flies off. The mirror is saved, but while you're slowing and pulling off the side of the road, what damage will this "stainless steel leader" cause to the paint on the side of the LT as the mirror is flopping around? That was my concern and the reason I sourced out nylon-coated cables.
post #15 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:11 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by painlessbob
I bought a used LT and the previous owner connected the mirrors with fishing wire, but not until several apparent drops. Is there a good source to buy the plastic components within the mirrors? Mine are a little cracked. Don't need to buy the whole assembly.
Which components? The plastic backing and ring on the mirror itself comes with the mirror - sometimes available at Beemerboneyard.com. I have never seen the plastic swivel inside the mirror housing for sale by itself, but here again check out Beemerboneyard and give them a call. You can often get the inner plastic housing with the swivel at BB or on Ebay. In any case, put a WTB (Want to Buy) notice in the Classifieds, someone may have a part sitting around and be willing to sell it.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #16 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:44 am

There a couple of sites that have microfiche availble for parts purchases, A&S being the site I go to. According to the microfiche all the little plastic parts have a part number assigned, so they should be able to be purchased separately. My only thought is those parts might not be available at your local dealer and you could have to wait a couple days to come from the US warehouse or worse case a month or two while them come in from Der Fodderland.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #17 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:32 am

Mirrors

The most important thing I have found out about the mirrors in the two years that we have owned the LT (bought it new) is that they have both been off the bike probably 6 time for services and cleaning. I took the right side mirror off a month ago and found one of the clips was bent under where it is seated. On further investigation I found the the plastic was broken above the clip. Luckily it's still covered by warranty.

So, maybe I'm wrong in this statement, but it seems that the more you remove them the more likely they are to eventually have a broken part. It doesn't seem to take much to have a problem with the mirrors.

Cheers, Bill

Ocean Blue
05 K1200 LT
post #18 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:21 am

Fishing Leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
But what happens when you're crusing at 80mph and you hit a bridge and a mirror(s) flies off. The mirror is saved, but while you're slowing and pulling off the side of the road, what damage will this "stainless steel leader" cause to the paint on the side of the LT as the mirror is flopping around? That was my concern and the reason I sourced out nylon-coated cables.
I bought fishing leaders (WalMart) years ago at the suggestion of someone on an earlier version of this board. Works greats, several saves over the years, no damage. The leaders are plastic coated, and not too long so when a mirror is dangling it really hasn't caused any damage. Having worked on bikes with zip-tie tethers, I can say the leaders are a little more easy-on, easy-off since they can just be unhooked. They are knotted onto the bike side of things so that they stay put when mirrors are removed for maintenance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in