New addition - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

New addition

Just signed up today. I am adding a "07" K1200LT to my garage. I have a "03" Ultra and Road King Classic. The Road King is going to a old high school friend of mine to make room for the LT. This will be my first BMW.
I'll be searching through the site for some input on accessories. The things I am most interested in are:

-armrest

-drivers backrest

-J-pegs

-bag liners

-different seat

-foot peg lowering kit

I'm trying to outfit the bike to fit my 6'-2 height.

Thanks for any input you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo-man
Just signed up today. I am adding a "07" K1200LT to my garage. I have a "03" Ultra and Road King Classic. The Road King is going to a old high school friend of mine to make room for the LT. This will be my first BMW.
I'll be searching through the site for some input on accessories. The things I am most interested in are:

-armrest

-drivers backrest

-J-pegs

-bag liners

-different seat

-foot peg lowering kit

-armrest
Don Muddiman's armrests, click. SO loves 'em, kids love 'em, never heard anything bad about them. Great service!

-drivers backrest
Bakup, available from Raffy, among others, click. Love mine!

-J-pegs
Depending on your inseam, you may want the XL size. I have 31" inseam and could not reach the XLs. Raffy carries these as well.

-bag liners
I have the Cee Bailey's ones and really like them. Make sure you look at set made for cases with or without CD changer, as appropriate for your ride.

-different seat
May as well ask about motor oil or filters on this one!

-foot peg lowering kit
Suburban Machinery makes a great kit. I have a spare set for sale if you'd like to save a few bucks over the new price.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:42 pm

The Beatles said, "All you need is love", but they were dead wrong. All you need is cash! And the longer you read this site, the more it takes!!! I didn't see a GPS or HID headlight conversion kit on your list. You've got a lot to learn my new friend.

Welcome to the site, and to LT ownership.

post #4 of 17 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:46 pm

Smile 07' Lt

Welcome to the forum. You will find out that the LT' is set-up pretty nice stock. All those farkles are your former HD spending habits coming out again. Wait for about 17,000 miles to buy your first "add-on". Congrats on the New Beamer! Jim

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
post #5 of 17 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminabqnm
Welcome to the forum. You will find out that the LT' is set-up pretty nice stock. All those farkles are your former HD spending habits coming out again. Wait for about 17,000 miles to buy your first "add-on". Congrats on the New Beamer! Jim
I agree that the stock LT is nice, but respectfully disagree on the point about waiting 17k to add accessories.

Get the HID ASAP, and add the comfort and convenience items according to (your ranking) of need and desire (and finances). Bakup is a "must have" for me, as is GPS and intercom. Hell, it ain't "safety chrome," but it sure makes for a more pleasant ride, IMHO.

Oh yeah, another thing you'll need ASAP: you will need to get used to the BMW-HD banter around here. It's mostly well intentioned, if not a little wearing.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 17 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

The I-way 500 will be shared with the Ultra.

I have had two back surgeries by the age of 44 which brought me to the LT for comfort and ride.
With that said I need to make some comfort adjustments now.

Is the Kontour seat worth the money?

Thanks Demo-man
post #7 of 17 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:59 pm

07 lt

No flame intended. But my advise was to enjoy the ride as it was built. Just fine for my taste. Maybe not for everyone else. i added zero in aftermarket items to my bike and still dont have any idea of upgrading anything yet. Maybe a flaming paint job to make it go faster.

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
post #8 of 17 Old May 21st, 2007, 10:08 pm

DEMO-man....
It's called "Farklin' "... "accessorizing to your personal perversion/preference level"...

The more you do it, the more I think you'll agree...

Welcome!... and remember... NO additional CHROME!!!! That is absolutely unimmaginable.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 17 Old May 21st, 2007, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Is the Kontour seat worth the money?
That's a call only you can make.
post #10 of 17 Old May 21st, 2007, 11:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminabqnm
No flame intended. But my advise was to enjoy the ride as it was built. Just fine for my taste. Maybe not for everyone else. i added zero in aftermarket items to my bike and still dont have any idea of upgrading anything yet. Maybe a flaming paint job to make it go faster.
No flame/offense taken. But ou are right, a flaming paint job would make it go faster, especially if you added some skulls (reference: my sig, below).

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #11 of 17 Old May 21st, 2007, 11:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Welcome!... and remember... NO additional CHROME!!!! That is absolutely unimmaginable.
Now Deacon Channing, that just means that you need to work a little more on your imagining!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #12 of 17 Old May 21st, 2007, 11:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Congrats, Demo-man. Jus' did the same thing...dumped the Ultra and picked up on '07 LT. Of course, they are totally different bikes, but the SO is MUCH happier on the LT (actually getting the question "why are we stopping for a break"?) UNBELIEVABLE! Enjoy.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #13 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:57 am

new seat

The seat choice is one only you can make and it will depend on your size. I am over 250lbs and have gone with a russell seat. The stock LT seat is an upside down "U" which makes it flow with the lines of the bike but is all wrong for a lot of folks a$$. The Kontour seat is basically the same shape with different material to alow it to breath better. In my opinion that is way to much money for a seat when a Beadrunner will do the same for $30. The Russell mod is not cheap but niether was the bike. The folks on this site are great and will give you a lot of good useful advice and help when asked for. Good luck.
post #14 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:57 am

Perhaps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Now Deacon Channing, that just means that you need to work a little more on your imagining!

Yeah, Good Deputy.. you're right, of course! After all, I did put shiny screws to replace the black ones on the Tupperware.. =)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:27 am
was

Quote:

-armrest

-drivers backrest

-J-pegs

-bag liners

-different seat

-foot peg lowering kit

Hey, Bruce, congrats on your new ride and welcome to the forum. Check out the "Ergonomics" forum too, there are lots of threads about various products for making the bike more comfortable for the particular owner. And as soon as you decide you are going to get a particular item, check out the Classified forum, you may just see it there. For myself, I bought a used BakUp backrest and installed it this spring. I have not gone on a long trip with it yet, so I don't know if it will be useful (I too have back problems, and am 6'4"). I have not done anything with the stock pegs, and have not added a forward footrest, but there is a ton of information on the different choices - lowered floorboards (made by a forum member), J-Pegs (2 sizes), Highway Ottomans, Mik-O-Pegs; just do a search and you will have more info than you can read. Bags can be very useful, and there are several makers who designed bags to fit the side cases and top case - BMW (pricey, as always), Kathy's Bags, Helen TwoWheels, and probably others.
Do give a thought to an HID light (low beam or combo low/high). There is a group sale going on right now, I believe, so you will get a good price and you will be blown away by the improvement. Good luck, have fun buying, and remember that there is a 12-Step program available when you get addicted.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #16 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:43 am

Hey Demo-Man, welcome from another new guy...your gonna get a kick out of these guys, i have an 03' and put the floorboards on. Really like them except they scrape some in the corners. GPS, never had one before but like the adjustable windscreen wont be w/out one again...your gonna love the way this bike rides.

p.s. allot of knowledge and good info here on fix's mod's etc...dont let all the problems get ya down either....
post #17 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2007, 3:27 pm

07 & HID's

Doesn't the 07 have the HID hi & lo beams? My 07 also came with the mirrors tethered already as well. I second the recommendations for the BakUps backrest and the J-Pegs. You haven't mentioned it, but I like the PIAA's driving lights too.

Tony
07 LT Blue and beautiful
03 CBR600F4I red and soooo fast
88 Magna (wish I still had this one)
Interdum stultus bene loquitur.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in