Time for Battery Change? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 21st, 2007, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Time for Battery Change?

My '04 LT has the original gel battery. I have had not one bit of concern or issue with it nor do I use (or have) a tender. There have been periods (weeks) of not riding; for the most part, though, it's a daily driver. I'm a few miles out from my next PM and planning a long trip in about a month. Is it time to change the battery "for the heck of it"? I don't know what other owners experience is for battery longevity but the heat of South Florida has never lended itself to long automotive battery life. I know, buy one now, better to pay now than get hung up on the road ......... is the consensus that a gel (or original equipment battery) is the way to go? Are there better aftermarket batteries than what my local BMW dealer will offer? Thanks again for your insight and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 21st, 2007, 8:53 pm

stay away from the bmw gel battery. i understand it only has about 170 cranking amps. the odyssey has about 270. the westco battery is also okay.
post #3 of 11 Old May 21st, 2007, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, Warden. I'm good with the Odyssey, I see price ranges from $98 to $150 for the PC680. Should I shop price or is there someone that we have had successs with via the BMWLT website introduction?

post #4 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:53 am

Many have gotten a good price on the Odyssey on E bay. I got a good deal from a battery shop in town a couple of years ago.

As for how long the battery will last, it is hard to say. The original battery in my LT made it almost 6 years. I still have the original battery in my 97 ST1100. Many people like to say that motorcycle batteries only last 2 years.
If you are nervous about it, I would change it to be safe. Of course new batteries can fail too. I had a new one only make it 2 months in a Yamaha Venture.
post #5 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:45 am

For my K1100RS (same battery as myK1200LT) I used an OEM tender most winters and a Westco for 8 years. Nice results. I just got a new battery (old one still cranked fine but voltage low -- dreaded ABS light blinking), a PC680 (regular model -- no metal jacket needed.) No low voltage electronic problems now. Same technology as Westco with virtually same stats. Easy to attach terminal tabs. Walk-in price at Batteries Plus was about 127USD. Nice to finish it all in about an hour, including recycling old battery, from purchase through install. You can find the 680 cheaper online, but walk-in convenience was a plus.
post #6 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:16 am

A few weeks ago I bought the UPG Adventure Power battery (UB22-12N) from http://ebatteriestogo.com for $74.95 (free shipping). It's an AGM type battery, not gel, so no special charger is required. Did a bit of reading on batteries and the general consensus is that the AGM type battery is a better product than the gel type. It is sealed and maintenance free and does not spill if damaged.

Just my $.02.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 2:30 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
A few weeks ago I bought the UPG Adventure Power battery (UB22-12N) from http://ebatteriestogo.com for $74.95 (free shipping). It's an AGM type battery, not gel, so no special charger is required. Did a bit of reading on batteries and the general consensus is that the AGM type battery is a better product than the gel type. It is sealed and maintenance free and does not spill if damaged.

Just my $.02.

Ray
I need a new battery, too.

I went to that link and looked up the batteries for my 2001 LT. The Adventure Power one you bought was $15 cheaper than the Westco, yet it has better power ratings.

Is this merely a name-brand issue, or is there something about the Westco that warrants the extra cash?
post #8 of 11 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 3:43 pm

I have the Panasonic LC-X1220P that I bought from Digikey.com. The current price shown on their website is $62.93. I've had it for 7 months and have had no issues with it.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NascaLT
My '04 LT has the original gel battery. I have had not one bit of concern or issue with it nor do I use (or have) a tender. There have been periods (weeks) of not riding; for the most part, though, it's a daily driver. I'm a few miles out from my next PM and planning a long trip in about a month. Is it time to change the battery "for the heck of it"? I don't know what other owners experience is for battery longevity but the heat of South Florida has never lended itself to long automotive battery life. I know, buy one now, better to pay now than get hung up on the road ......... is the consensus that a gel (or original equipment battery) is the way to go? Are there better aftermarket batteries than what my local BMW dealer will offer? Thanks again for your insight and help.
3 years + Florida = Time to Replace.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 7:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
3 years + Florida = Time to Replace.
I agree with Joe on this one for a conventional battery...and when they go, they go quickly. Had one on my old bike startup fine in the morning, stopped to get gas on the way to work...and nothing but a click.

A gel type might be different....the heat should have a different impact. That being said, I would still be on the side to vote to replace it.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 9:18 am

My '03 came with the BMW gel battery and it gave me plenty of warning before it failed.

I normally leave the charger hooked up when parked and I make sure that the handlebars are locked.

I first noticed that the engine seemed to be turning over more slowly than usual but wrote it off to my imagination. Then my radio would not come back on after the engine had started. I could see the display backlight but there was no sound or control of the radio. I had to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so to reset the radio and then everything worked normally. This went on for several weeks before I replaced the battery. YMMV

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in