Nevada to New Foundland Suggestions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 21st, 2007, 7:28 am Thread Starter

Arrow Nevada to New Foundland Suggestions

I have been given the green light by the war department to take my August trip from Elko to Labrador via Nova Scotia/New Foundland...I have GPS'd plan A and will most likely do it several more times. I plan on heading N. to Kalispell (family) 1st night then somewhere along Hwy2 bounce into Canada and head East until i run out of road. Then, head back thru NY, West thru Ohio to the Tetons and home...does anyone have any usable info about camping/lodging etc... in the eastern areas (especially Canada), have never bee that far NEast....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 21st, 2007, 8:42 am

Trip to Newfoundland

What time are you planning on heading east. I live in New Brunswick and plan on heading to Newfoundland (its one word by the way) to visit some realtives late June. There is plenty of useful info on camping and lodging on the Provincial web sites. Expect the weather to get a little more unpredictable the closer you get to Newfoundland.
post #3 of 6 Old May 21st, 2007, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

Glad someone read me ...i am not quite dialed in yet on specific time, i am guesstimating sometime between the 13th-24th...still have put in for the time off...i am not too worried about weather although the nicer the better of course..is there a temp norm for that area in mid-Aug. ??

post #4 of 6 Old May 21st, 2007, 3:23 pm

Canada camping

I just came from the south to Calgary. You may not be able to go through Waterton, but around it, check out lthe ocal conditions.

If you plan to camp, there are many provincial and national camp sites. Also, hostels are quite good in Canada (HI). I like Winnipeg, Northern Ontario, particularly from Sault St Marie to Ottawa, many places. In Quebec, you must try North Shore, Charlesvoix. New Brunswick is OK, so is Nova Scotia, the coast. If you email me your phone # I can talk to you better with a map in hand.
post #5 of 6 Old May 21st, 2007, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Alec, i plan on camping half to 2/3 of the time...we went to the Yukon and lower Ak last year motels were spendy...wife wont be with this time so i can rough it when i feel like it...i plan on riding the complete circle of Nova Scotia and New Foundland then over to Labrador just to say i did...read this months article in Rider Mag. about the 350mi gravel rd thru Quebec to Lab. I would have taken it on my 03' Venture and considered it this trip but am not sure LT will handle the constant jarring .
post #6 of 6 Old May 21st, 2007, 8:02 pm

I road through Ontario, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia last Aug/Sep. I will say that the northern side of Nova Scotia (along the bay) was disappointing. In order to see the Bay, you'll have to go down some dead ends. Most of the northern coast has big hills/mountains between even the secondary roads and the Bay. I wish I had chosen the southern route instead. The entire loop of Cape Breton was amazing, but be prepared for a weather change in a matter of minutes. I had a great time cruising high speed down twisty roads in the interior of Nova Scotia, so don't rule that out if you like the twisties. Be careful if you find yourself on a dirt road in Cape Breton, I ended up on a jeep trail for about 5 miles that was quite the challenge.

Lots of Parks to camp at in Central Ontario. I think that Canada has a pretty big national holiday around the time you have planned. That could mean that things will be really busy. Just a heads up. I also found a few stretches of fun twisty stuff in Ontario, it can be found if you look.

I think the post of my route should still be available here. I did post a PDF of it. Can't say I wouldn't do any of it again. Some roads north of Montreal were quite fun, twisty stuff again.

Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in