Hydraulic Center Stand Retrofit - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 20th, 2007, 6:41 am Thread Starter

Hydraulic Center Stand Retrofit

I just finished putting a hydraulic center stand on my 04 LT and I have to say that I love it. Doing it the old fashion was always a little scary for me and I came close a few times to dropping it. I was just wondering what it is fused at on the 05 and later models. I have it fused at 30 amps right now and it seems to be holding. I origionally tried a 20 amp but that little motor just ate that fuse as quick as anything. My bigger concern it the relay. I am using a 30 amp right now and just want to make sure that its not too small. I would hate to find out its too small the hard. If anyone is wondering about doing the retrofit I would say go for it if you can find a used center stand. It was a very straight install. Straight bolt up. Did not have to take any plastic off to do the install and some straight forward wiring. I decided to use two micro momentary contact push buttons in series to trigger the relay. I decided on two switched in series just incase my 3 year old managed to find and pushe one of them. One is on the handle bar and the other is inside the lift handle on the plastic. Limites the odds of having an accidential delpoyment of the stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 20th, 2007, 10:02 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Dwayne,

I like your method of series switches for activation. Surprisingly the original installation is not fused on the 05. Just a relay. You are probably safe with the 30 amp fuse and relay. I have not tried to actually measure the current, but then you have already discovered it is greater than 20 amps.

Enjoy the stand - I sure do.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old May 20th, 2007, 3:45 pm

relay and fuse

I did the retro fit about 2 years ago am using a 30 amp relay and fuse with no problems.

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 8:40 pm

I'm thinking of getting one for my 03--but I can't find the original write-up on doing the conversion. Is it really just a bolt on and wire up? I can probably do that. My fear was that I might have to weld something, which I don't do.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:08 pm

If you need a hydraulic center stand for your retrofit, I have two new take-offs plus one that was used for a prior retrofit. Please PM if interested, or email me at Deputy5211 at LTParts dot com.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Re: Hydraulic Center Stand Retrofit

What is the asking price for the take offs? And I hate to ask why are they "take off's" Thanks Mark

Mark
2004 K1200LT(black/silver)
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMPA
What is the asking price for the take offs? And I hate to ask why are they "take off's" Thanks Mark
Hi, Mark - not positive, butt I would guess these are take-offs of LTs that were converted to trikes. Usually happens, as the centerstand is no longer needed. HTH.
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 3:27 pm

30 amp is the right size fuse and relay. Did mine about two years ago and love it. It is so nice to stop push a button and the bikes on the stand. For anyone thing about doing this its not that hard even by your self.
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 12:03 am

do you have any more details or pics of the project ?

thanks
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 9:03 pm

30 amp is the right relay and fuse. I did mine on my 02. It can be done by ones self. I tied the tip over bars to both sides of my garage door to keep the bike upright so I could remove the stands.
post #11 of 13 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 1:38 pm

I have the center stand and I'm about to do the conversion on my '03. Did you use a stand-alone relay? If so, what one did you use and do you have a part number? Thanks in advance.
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 7th, 2009, 8:22 pm

I have a 2000 k 1200 LT and would like to know if a 2007 hydraulic center stand would fit on my machine, aside from the wiring. I see that someone with a 2003 has done it and I wonder if a 2000 is that much diferent.
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 12th, 2009, 10:08 am

I am interested in purchasing a hydraulic center stand for my 1999 LT. Will the one you have fit? How much $$$

jgadget
99 BMW K1200 LTE Champagne

93 BMW K1100LT Black
09 BMW 650i Convertible

BMW MOA # 153142

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in