The LT wobble, fix? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 20th, 2007, 3:42 am Thread Starter

Post The LT wobble, fix?

Hey guys/gals, well as promised I have been chasing down an answer to this violent 40 MPH deceleration wobble that many of us have experienced and I am passing along what BMW did to fix the wobble for me. I left my LT with Blue Moon Cycle BMW in Atlanta for 3 weeks while they tried different things to fix it. I applaud them for not simply blowing it off saying its the nature of the beast. After test riding it they agreed it was nothing like it should be.

My bike is now very smooth and again and I'm pretty happy. The decel shake is still there a little bit if I take my hands completely off of the bars or if I am barely touching them, but it's nothing like it was. Before I really had to hold the bars and hated how unstable and pronounced it felt on decel, it didn't feel normal, but now I can apply the smallest amount of pressure to keep things true and stable and I'm willing to settle with that. I realize that it is the nature of some big bikes to have this sensation, but in my experience this seemed rather extreme.

My 2006 LT and tires have about 8K miles on them and I'm running the Metz 880's. I suspect it would be even smoother with a new set of rubber, but again, this it once again really nice to ride, like when I first drove the LT new. Yeah I wish is were as smooth and nimble as my GS and that I could take my hands off, but it's not a GS. The LT is a big girl and demands a little respect and attention at times or she may turn on you and I'm all about giving it to her, and I'm okay with that.

Was it a complete fix? Mmmm maybe not as I wish it wasn't there at all, but it is tons better than it was and I no longer find it unsafe so I can deal with it like this. I don't ride the LT without my hands on the big girl often and since this feels resonable to me, I can live with it. I do wonder why a bike with such low mile would require this type of repair, but perhaps it's either due to the size/sensitivity of the bike or simply a bad batch of parts. It happens.

I am told that the key part they replaced that made the difference was the Lower Ball Joint, I think the part# is 31 42 7 681 040 for the new joint and 31 42 2 330 996 for the NUT.

They also replaced and tried other things before that such as the steering damper, rebalancing the tires, and other suspension related fixes, but these other attempts didn't help.

The work order says the cause of the worn lower Ball Joint going bad was the tire balance. I don't know if I really buy that or if was simply something they had to put in the order for warranty purpose. At any rate, everything was covered under warranty I'm happy to say.

For anyone with an LT experiencing what I considered to be an unreasonable and pronounced violent deceleration wobble, I hope that this helps you out. Again, Kudos to Blue Moon Cycle, I think they are the best dealer in Atlanta and I thank them for for sharing my concerns and finding an answer to my problem. Ride safely and ride often. ~darren

Last edited by Seattle; May 20th, 2007 at 4:09 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 20th, 2007, 9:11 am
was

Well done, and many thanks for the post describing the fix. I'm glad to add this one to the data bank regarding the LT.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 3 Old May 21st, 2007, 3:10 am
cws

Garage
Thanks for the post Darren. Hopefully it will help my efforts with my dealer to get it rectified.
best

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in