What Zipties Will Do !! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 18th, 2007, 7:39 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

What Zipties Will Do !!

Had a minor breakdown today the shift linkage ball broke lucky for me I carry tools so I took it apart,put it in 2nd gear and road it to a safe spot to work on it. I used 2 zipties to hold the ball in place and was able to ride around 50 miles home shifting in all gears till the last 8 miles or so when the ziptie broke but I was in 3rd gear and made it home. Long story short I need the upgraded shift linkage ,was told it was made by Phil johns but have had no luck searching for it. If some one knows the link please post it for me. Thanks in adavance

Stevie Shreeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 18th, 2007, 7:59 pm

The latest contact info I could find for him can be found in by using the link below. Not sure if it is still accurate.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...8171#post78171
post #3 of 10 Old May 18th, 2007, 8:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_BMW
The latest contact info I could find for him can be found in by using the link below. Not sure if it is still accurate.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...8171#post78171
I contacted Phil (philjohn) by PM in April and ordered his kit. This was message then:

"I'm out of stock on linkages for '05 and '06 LTs but I have linkages for all the bikes prior to those years. It's a bolt in replacement linkage that is 50-70% stronger and it comes with a left hand drill bit and an Easy Out to remove the broken stud should that happen as it it on mine on my first ride! Kit costs $52.00"

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 10 Old May 18th, 2007, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys I knew I could count on y'all. Sent Phill a PM. Thankfully Lonestar (local BMW dealer) had a ball stud in stock so I got Lola back on the road. I will replace old linkage with the new one and keep the old as a backup

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 10 Old May 18th, 2007, 11:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJohn
Shift Linkage Replacement Kit
I've got a bolt in replacement that is 50% stronger. The kit includes a left hand drill bit, an Easy Out, and the new linkage. I sell the linkage only for $40.00 and the entire kit for $52.00 delivered to your front door via Priority Mail. A personal check is fine.

Phil W. Johnston
5519 147th Avenue NE
Forest River, ND 58233
Here's the email address I have for Phil: [email protected]

Also, I have a new one of his linkage kits for my '00, if it will not fit my '05, I will be happy to sell it to you, Steve, for my cost. $52, plus whatever it takes to get to you. Let me know.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 10 Old May 18th, 2007, 11:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Thanks guys I knew I could count on y'all. Sent Phill a PM. Thankfully Lonestar (local BMW dealer) had a ball stud in stock so I got Lola back on the road. I will replace old linkage with the new one and keep the old as a backup
If you want to meet somewhere for lunch tomorrow, Steve, I could bring you the ball or the PhilJohn kit I have. Yes, I understand it won't be on Lola. Just let me know how I can help.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 10 Old May 19th, 2007, 6:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
If you want to meet somewhere for lunch tomorrow, Steve, I could bring you the ball or the PhilJohn kit I have. Yes, I understand it won't be on Lola. Just let me know how I can help.
Thanks brother from a differant mother. PM sent and Lola is up and running I just want the new system and will keep the old for a backup

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 10 Old May 19th, 2007, 9:47 am
W67

BMW K1200 LT Shifter Linkage KIT

http://www.powergridinc.com/bmw.asp

Anyone try this one yet?

Winston
post #9 of 10 Old May 19th, 2007, 10:09 am

Thumbs up

Phil shipped me a new linkage kit for my 05 a couple of weeks ago, so I would assume he now has all the needed parts.
I used his kits on my 99 after the original linkage broke, then as a preventive measure on my 03, and the latest also as a preventive measure will be installed on my 05.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 10 Old May 19th, 2007, 10:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Pics included

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
I contacted Phil (philjohn) by PM in April and ordered his kit. This was message then:

"I'm out of stock on linkages for '05 and '06 LTs but I have linkages for all the bikes prior to those years. It's a bolt in replacement linkage that is 50-70% stronger and it comes with a left hand drill bit and an Easy Out to remove the broken stud should that happen as it it on mine on my first ride! Kit costs $52.00"
This is what I got!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	11820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	11821  

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in