bike will not start - 2000 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

bike will not start - 2000 LT

Well I got my XM Roady XT hooked up and everything ready to go , put my helmet ,on threw my leg over the big girl ,turned the key on all my lights are check but then I hit the ignition and click click click.....
I checked the battery it was showing around 11v. I put my charger on it no luck. I even disconnected my roady, still click click click...... As i was messing around I turned the key off and the radio came on , good. I tried starting the bike and the radio (LT) went blank I am confused hurt and disappointed. anyone have any ideas at all? Oh yea when I turned the key on my computer temp gauge read - 22 F
So should I disconnect the battery for a long time , or is it time to remove the side panels and go a hunting? Or maybe could it be a fuse? HELP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 18th, 2007, 7:32 pm

The newer style starter relay is designed not to allow a start attempt with a low battery. 11 volts is close to the no go point. Charge your battery and try again.
post #3 of 9 Old May 18th, 2007, 8:43 pm

bike will not start - 2000 LT

Darryl,

If your battery reads less than 14V after coming off of the charger, its time for a new battery.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge

post #4 of 9 Old May 18th, 2007, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

will my battery charger work on my battery? I think I have a gel battery? The charger said it would charge gel batteries but I had some issues today. I had to plug the charger into a three prong extension cord then to a outlet, hmmm.... Well its charging now hopefully Jenny will start tomorrow. I have a BRP ride planned for Sunday I hope I can still make it. The battery has a date of 09/05 is that ready to go?
post #5 of 9 Old May 18th, 2007, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys......cross your fingers
post #6 of 9 Old May 18th, 2007, 11:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldaggs
The battery has a date of 09/05 is that ready to go?
If it has been properly maintained, I wouldn't think so, but anything is possible.
post #7 of 9 Old May 19th, 2007, 6:00 am

A battery can go in one season. A battery does not like very hot or very cold temperatures. Just let it charge up and see if it holds the charge. If a battery is property maintained it can last 5-6 seasons. If you get more that that you have a very good battery.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #8 of 9 Old May 19th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Battery should show 12.8 volts or better after being off the chager for a while to get the big gal fire up!

Anything less and ya need a new one.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #9 of 9 Old May 21st, 2007, 6:16 am Thread Starter

I got my problem worked out. The battery had a charge of 12.6 problem was , as I was told by Advance Auto man , that when I try to start the bike the volts should only drop 1.5-2.0 volts. My battery was dropping all the way down to 7.5-8.4 volts when trying to start. So he charged the battery for me on their charger since my charger will not work on a gel battery. Took the battery and "Jenn" fired up ready to roll. Also note the battery tested as a "Good" battery even though I was on the low power side of when starting the bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in