Hope I Didn't Break Anything..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 18th, 2007, 3:16 pm Thread Starter

Hope I Didn't Break Anything.....

The old girl (2000 LT) has blessed me with a post-valve adjustment ticking sound that is similar to the hydraulic lifter noise many of us have experienced with our high mileage autos, albiet somewhat muffled. The ticking is most pronounced between 2500 and 3000 rpm under a load (no ticking at idle or up to 5000 rpm while bike is stationary). The sound is not perceptible during acceleration or deceleration by engine braking. It is also not constant.

I just performed a valve adjustment that required the replacement of four buckets to obtain in-spec clearances. I also installed new Iridium spark plugs. No other maintenance work was performed. The bike runs smoothly at all rpm's, accelerates properly, and operates as it should. I can detect no engine malfunctions (missing, stumbling, surging, etc). I triple-checked the valve clearances before and after installation of the new buckets to be sure everything is as it should be. I am going to pull the valve cover this weekend and recheck all the valve clearances just as a precaution.

I would appreciate any suggestions/advice as to what the problem may be. I am confident it is not piston slap or poor fuel causing the pinging, but I am concerned as the ticking sound was not present prior to the valve adjustment. I have ridden the bike approximately 60 miles since the valve maintenance and have noticed the ticking on an inconsistent basis. The valve adjustment procedure was precisely followed, and again, the only other maintenance was the replacement of the original plugs with Iridium plugs.

Thanks for any and all comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 18th, 2007, 3:21 pm

Possibly cracked header flange. Maybe one of the buckets wasn't want it was supposed to be and is actually allowing too much clearance.
post #3 of 6 Old May 18th, 2007, 7:40 pm
was

Can you describe the ticking a bit more? What is the frequency - as slow as a clock vs as fast as a sewing machine? Does the frequency stay the same even if engine rpms change? It is going to be very hard to locate since it disappears when the bike is stationary, but in first gear on a straight and empty road at 2500 to 3000 rpm can you tell if it seems to be coming more from the left side or the right side? You did have the left side tupperware off to check the valves; everything tight with the reinstall, sometimes the panels can vibrate against each other at a certain rpm range.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

post #4 of 6 Old May 18th, 2007, 8:14 pm

my 06 does the same tapping at the same rpm and not Idle.my dealer road tested my bike and could not hear It.imagine that. I think its a loose valve.oh-yea Its been doing It since new. now with 5500 miles
post #5 of 6 Old May 21st, 2007, 3:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Can you describe the ticking a bit more? What is the frequency - as slow as a clock vs as fast as a sewing machine? Does the frequency stay the same even if engine rpms change? It is going to be very hard to locate since it disappears when the bike is stationary, but in first gear on a straight and empty road at 2500 to 3000 rpm can you tell if it seems to be coming more from the left side or the right side? You did have the left side tupperware off to check the valves; everything tight with the reinstall, sometimes the panels can vibrate against each other at a certain rpm range.

The ticking is more similar to the speed of a sewing machine. I have no doubt it is related to the rotational speed of the engine and is emanating from the left (valve cover side) of the bike. All tupperware is secured well and no plastic vibrational noise is present. The ticking either disappears above 3500rpm or the usual engine noises and wind noise drown it when travelling at the speed (approx 70-75mph) associated with 3500 rpm in 5th gear. If it is an out-of-spec valve, I am guessing it is isolated to one cylinder. I did not get the chance to pull the valve cover this past weekend to recheck the valve clearances.....hopefully I will accomplish this sometime this week. Also the ticking is not evident if riding at a constant road speed in 1st or 2nd gear at 2500-3000 rpm; apparantly there is not enough of a load on the engine to cause the ticking. The ticking is not similar to the valve train clatter we experience if the engine is being lugged or if we are using a poor grade of fuel.
post #6 of 6 Old May 21st, 2007, 7:46 pm
was

Great description. As you say, a single valve seems most likely. Let us know what you find.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in