Polishing out windshield scratches? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 18th, 2007, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Polishing out windshield scratches?

Any suggestions re what to use to try and polish out light scratches in the windshield.

Looks like those on my shield have been caused by washing without sufficient water - ie very fine scratches across the whole external screen area.

It a BMW screen.

I've seen the Cee Bailey repair kit advertised - I'm in the UK but I'd imagine I can get one imported or buy over here.

All thoughts welcome.

jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 18th, 2007, 2:56 pm

The OEM shield has a thin protective layer on both sides that, once scratched, is unrepairable. I could be wrong . . . but I don't think so. That's the problem with polycarbonate shields. Acrylic shields can be polished.
post #3 of 5 Old May 18th, 2007, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
The OEM shield has a thin protective layer on both sides that, once scratched, is unrepairable. I could be wrong . . . but I don't think so. That's the problem with polycarbonate shields. Acrylic shields can be polished.
This is correct!
The only thing you will do with a fine cleaner/polish even with a pre-wax cleaner, is make what you thought was a noticeable problem a much larger one, then you'll try to make that mess better, then it's downhill from there. What your doing is removing the fine film Joe is referring to, that's on the OEM shields. Once that area is opened up wide enough then you'll be polishing the actual w/s. By then, you've got an area that is 1/16" to 1/8" wide and 3/16" to 5/16" longer than your original scratch was to begin with. Trust me leave it alone!

Jerry
2004 K1200LTC Night Black

post #4 of 5 Old May 19th, 2007, 6:08 am Thread Starter

Thanks

Both,

Thanks for your good advice, I'll leave well alone.

I acquired this screen recently in a swap, mine had no marks but this one has the slight scratches I referred to.

Regards
j
post #5 of 5 Old May 21st, 2007, 8:59 am

You might try Novus Plastic polish, available in 3 grades I think. May work or may not. As the others said, if it's the BMW shield with the fine film laminate on it, it will only get worse.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in