Piaa vs Motolights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old May 17th, 2007, 10:35 pm Thread Starter

Piaa vs Motolights

There's plenty of commentary on these but I do have a few more questions. It is time for me to get the additional lighting but am not sure what will suit me better on my '04 LT. I do like the positioning (and look) of the Piaa's under the fairing but it has sounded as though the Motolights may be a little easier to live with. I do have some concerns with the Motorlight vulnerablilty due to their location. Would I expect to see more light "shaking" from the Motolights due to the brake caliper mounting? It seems the Piaa's would be more stable on the fairing. And I haven't heard anything detrimental about replacing Motolight bulbs. The Piaa's seem to offer an easy, but costly repair. I know everyone has their favorites (I know, get both!) and my goals are to have a little more visability to others as well as some assistance with the factory low beam headlight driving conservatively in the evening. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old May 17th, 2007, 10:45 pm

You already stated the answer. . . get both!

I have PIAAs under the cowling, HID low and HID high, AND Motolights on the calipers.

They both are great lights, and there are many threads extolling the virtues of one over the other. Rather than express opinions, let me share some facts with you about Motolights.

I had Motolight on my '00 when it was totaled. The light on the right caliper broke off from a direct hit and was hanging by the wire when I noticed it. I was able to loosen the clamps and re-assemble the Motolight dues to its simple construction.

When I went to install the Motolights on my '05 LT, I found that the bolts were a different size than on my '00. The great folks at Motolight send me the correct bolts for the '05 at no charge, not even for shipping.

One of my bulbs burned out. Even bulbs are covered by their incredible warranty. When I telephoned Motolight, they told me they would send me two bulbs since the shipping (I paid) was the same, and I've have a spare for next time, which made it easier for them.

Motolight strikes me as a solid organization with solid products that stand behind their products and their customers.

The Motolight provides steady lighting despite its location, as does the PIAA. I don't believe that you can go wrong with either one, so go with the one that fits your wallet and your style preference best. Keep in mind that our own RaffyK is a dealer for both products, IIRC, and Raffy is also a top notch person to do business with.

I have had no problems with PIAA, and when the bulb blew, I installed a lamp commonly available a Lowes to replace it. SImple swap, really, for either light.

JMTCW

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deputy5211; May 17th, 2007 at 11:01 pm.
post #3 of 23 Old May 17th, 2007, 10:59 pm

I've got the PIAA lights and like them. I've had to replace the bulb on one light and was able to find the bulb at Autozone.

Tommy
02 K12 LT - 251,000 Miles and counting
442,000+ BMW Miles and counting

post #4 of 23 Old May 17th, 2007, 11:12 pm

motolite review

I have noticed no shaking whatsoever on the caliper mount. I have noticed that motorists (cager drivers) at an upcoming intersection will stop look and then look again, before waiting for me to pass by, before pulling out into my lane of traffic. That is priceless, in my opinion. Triangulation, like the lights on a RR engine, is what this phenonenom is attributed to.
I've found that HID high and low beams are most effective for lighting the roadway. Visibility to others and therefore, safety is why I have added motolites...
post #5 of 23 Old May 18th, 2007, 1:14 am

Have had the Motolites for five years mounted on the lower forks. The are steady, and bulbs are quick to change. They pretty much are just for being seen though, as they only reach about thirty feet or so in front. They are good for turns though since your main beams do not turn. I like them for what they are. Don't know anything about the PIAAs.
post #6 of 23 Old May 18th, 2007, 1:56 am

I had two sets of MotoLights on my LT. I can't say enough about MotoLight's customer service . . . they are second to none! And free lifetime lamp replacement (just pay shipping). I don't understand your statement, "I do have some concerns with the Motorlight vulnerablilty due to their location.". I have over 60K miles of experience with MotoLights...no vulnerability issues that I can think of. But if you want to get the most bang for your buck, buy the Raster-Mount MotoLights, and also convert your low-beam halogen to HID. DONE DEAL! Lots-o-light, and VERY conspicuous to the cagers.

And don't worry about the Raster Mounts in case of a tip-over. Not an issue...don't ask me how I know.
post #7 of 23 Old May 18th, 2007, 9:18 pm

Exclamation

Motolights......i love them......get the 35w bulbs....50w available...at no cost...but much too bright for the shared road
post #8 of 23 Old May 18th, 2007, 9:29 pm

The caliper-mounted Motolights are rock solid. I hit a groundhog with the right Motolight. It's still rock solid, and Mr. Groundhog is dead.

I did not know, however, that Motolight offered free bulb replacement. I just replaced one this week with a new bulb from the dealer, who told me I could get the same thing for $1 cheaper at Lowe's. Learn something new every day...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 1:01 am

At the risk of stating what has already been noted ..... I have Moto-Lights on both my bikes and have them on my bikes for about 5 years now. Simply stated I would not have a bike without them. They improve your daytime visibility greatly. They caliper mounts are great and allow a real clean mount. I got the black finish which has stood up well. I also have the amber bulbs in both my sets which I believe adds to conspicuity. I think they are worth every penny.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #10 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 6:11 am

In actuality, if the Motolights are aimed correctly, 88 or 89 degrees, then there is no issue with them to on coming drivers whether 35w or 50w bulbs. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 6:27 am

And in fact .... one of the other things I like about Moto-lights is they are only 35w bulbs and draw less juice.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #12 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 7:22 am

You Guys are Lucky

Hi Everyone
As a newbe here it is so good to see all the great advice and mainly all the little extra's you are able to purchase for your bikes. following this thread I was able to track down both brands, and do a personal review to which I decided that both lights are suitable and great to go with the bike, you could not go wrong with either (only budget restrictions) SO I managed to also find a dealer in the US which ships world wide BONUS lol. cycle gadgets.com

so again thank you guys for all your help and advice

regards

Kevin And Vicki

K1200LT champagne
R1000RT Blue
650 Husong Aquila
post #13 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 7:33 am

. . . and if you find a product here in the USA from a vendor that will not ship to AUS, just post here and you will find many of fellow members who would be happy to help!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #14 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 8:32 am

My two cents... Had Moto lights on my 1000Rt. Not a problem with them.. lamps are free. Like most people say, they were soild on the caliper mount.
Now I have the Piaa 1100X on my 1200LT... They work fine but my lamp went out.. $35.00 to $40.00 for a Piaa replacement. Or $12.95 for 3 at Home Depo (50watt)
See lighting forum for instllation process.
Both are good. If I did it over I would get Moto lights. or get both...

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #15 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 8:44 am

Piaa vs Moto

I am happy to find these thoughts. I have had Piaa on the last two bikes and they have seemed to be a good product, however, I seemed to have replaced bulbs to often. I had no idea you could buy replacements at Lowes. With that in mind, I still think I will try Motolights. From what I have read, users seem to like them better.
post #16 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 9:55 am

This was my post on replacement lamps fro Piaa lights

OK after many hours of use, one of my Piaa 1100X lamps went out.
Could not bring my self to pay $40.00 ish dollars for a relacement and then need to replace the other one soon also.
Went to Home Depo and purchased the Phillips 50 watt lamps.....
Took the old lamps apart and soaked in hot water to soften up the glue. With a razor blade I slowly cut the Piaa glass lense away from the bulb.
Yep the Piaa's are sealed with the round glass lense.
Once this was off I placed the Piaa lense cover over the Phillips lamp (these are complely sealed) Bolted back together and Wa-Laa New light .
I did fire up the new and the old to see if I could see a difference. NOT... Just when the power is off the Piaa's have a blue look to them.
Lets try these for a test.. The price is right $12.95 for THREE yes Three 50 watt lamps.
I think I can afford to give these a test ride...
Thanks for giving me the tip... This forum Rocks

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #17 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 10:27 am
ajs

I have PIAA 1100's under the cowl. They came with the bike when I bought it used. I was never a big fan of these types of lights regardless of who made them or where they were mounted. They aren't a driving light as far as I am concerned. They don't do a thing for out front illumination, good to see others find them to be the same. (I thought I was the only one)

When I first got the bike I never used them. One day the leader of the group of 4 or 5 we do most of our riding with reamed me pretty good because they weren't on. I was riding in the rear and he wanted them on so he could use my lighting footprint as a marker in his mirrors to signify the last bike. I think he was having a bad day.

I always ride in the rear because I prefer it there. Although I sometimes wonder if I am not the only one because I never have anyone volunteering to replace me. What's up with that?

I have them on all the time now wether travelling with the group or alone. As others here have said, they provide a good level of conspicuity for those out in front and oncoming traffic. I am a slow learner some times.

I guess using them this way one will work as well as another.
post #18 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 11:17 am

I have never tried, or even seen in person, the Motolights. They do look nice in photos though.

I ride with my PIAAs on at all times--at night I do douse them for oncoming traffic. I have been told by numerous people how bright and visible they are even during the day. I pulled into work one a.m. and one of the local cops followed me into my parking spot. He just wanted to see what kind of lights I was running--he said he could see me coming for a mile...

The way I have them aimed I get a nice "halo" of white light around, and probably up to 40' out from the bike at night. They aren't good for down the road vision.

I do wind up replacing both lamps once every riding season--one burns out and the other will go within a week it seems-to the tune of +-$70. After the first ones burned out I started writing down the replacement mileage and they regularly go between 7500 and 8500 miles. My bike tells me I average 47mph--so the bulbs last about 170 hours. .40$, per riding hour, to run the lights. To me this is a reasonable price for the visibility they provide.

However...being frugal , I might try the Home Depot bulbs next time---has anyone noticed a difference in the longevity? Even though I'm cheap--er frugal wouldn't want to be replacing bulbs more often...

Brian Heller
2001 LTC-Pacific Blue
post #19 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 6:59 pm

What am I doing diferently than you guys with PIAAs that burn out all the time. I have almost 38K on my '03 and they are on whenever I ride, day or night. Never have replaced the bulbs...ever!!!
post #20 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 7:39 pm

I have the HID conversion on both Hi and Low beams on my 01 LT. HID high beam does not add much more light just a little higher, but with both on it is a stunning effect at night. I have PIAA lights under the cowl and added a modulator to them they must flash together. I have had many commnts obout the visibility of this arrangement.
post #21 of 23 Old May 19th, 2007, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburton3
I have the HID conversion on both Hi and Low beams on my 01 LT. HID high beam does not add much more light just a little higher, but with both on it is a stunning effect at night. I have PIAA lights under the cowl and added a modulator to them they must flash together. I have had many commnts obout the visibility of this arrangement.
The idea of a modulator on the PIAA 1100x lamps is quite interesting. May have to try that.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #22 of 23 Old May 20th, 2007, 9:10 am

I've had my '06 LT for 6 months now. Had MotoLights, PIAA's, and HyperLights installed when I bought it. I run amber lamps in the Motolights which really makes it eye catching. I am just curious if anyone who has a similar setup on the lights has experienced any issues with battery drain. The dealer cautions me to keep the bike on my battery charger every minute when at home, and that unless I am running on the Interstate, I may have trouble with power drain. When that happens, it interferes with the ABS system functioning properly which results in loss of power brakes, speedometer, and brake lights. Brake Failure light remains on. It seems unreasonable to me that an LT would not have an electrical system capable of adequately supporting these accessories. Has anyone had related experiences?

Ray
post #23 of 23 Old May 20th, 2007, 2:03 pm

Ray,

I have HID Low (and High), PIAA 1100x, Motolights, GPS, Intercom, and other bits that draw current when the ignition is on, and I have not had any issues... yet. I do put my bike on the tender when I think about it, but I have left it off for a week or more, and still not had any issues... yet.

I recently read in a thread that there was plenty of "oomphf" in the LT's alternator to keep all this going and plenty more to spare. Certainly not a scientific description, but I will leave that to those who know more about this stuff.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in