final drives and every other issue Whine whine - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

final drives and every other issue Whine whine

If anyone ever was pissed off about the lt it was me when I first bought that bike, it had abs issues no one could fix, it took ages and several dealers finally getting it resolved in Texas with a complete replacement of the abs system.

That said I can not complain about this bike these days, would it bother me to have to put a grand or two in it, in a way yes, BUT! it has 140k miles on it!

so here I copied this from my last post every newbie or low mile new LT owner - read it!

once in a while someone has major issue that costs some large bucks sure, BUT
WHAT DAMN "BRAND DOES THAT NOT HAPPEN TO?
on this site we are only hearing about the bad! from the few or very small percentage of K1200LTS on the street, if you think all the owners are on this board well your just flat wrong!

a few of the folks here have serious miles on the Lt, hell a few have a ton more than I do on a LT!! ask them what the overall feeling is about the Lt. make a post something to the effect of Hey I wont want to hear from owners with over 80kmiles or 100kmiles!

I have a 140k on my '02 K1200Lt that I bought new august 17 2002 and next week I do a 2 day 2037 mile run to Las Vegas, stay there ONE day! ride with a friend of mine from Nova Scotia that is renting a bike for ONE DAY day, then leave the next morning and be home in 2 days and another 2037 miles I bet we ride 300-500 miles Saturday so that will be roughly just under 4500 miles in 5 days.

Then when I get back home I leave two days later to ride almost 900 miles right back to Texas to be there 2 days for a family reunion pick my daughter up and ride her back the almost 900 miles home.

Yea I'm real worried about the dependability of my K1200LT

the reason I posted this is I once felt the same as some of you very worried Lt owners, if you do not have an extended warrranty, throw a grand a Little at a time in a savings account and forget about it, at least then you will have a grand to help out in case of a major failure.
shoot a grand to ride a bike that is so good is CHEAP!

Tom (ok I'm off my evenings rant)

shoot I almost forgot! I am so worried about BMWs that I bought a '07 R1200GSA and the wife a R1200GS

<grin>

Last edited by tmgs; May 17th, 2007 at 9:20 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 11:08 pm

granted, I'm a little short on "experience", but hear me out. I've said this already before - apologies for the redundancy...

I absolutely agree. I put 15k awesome miles on mine. at the 25k mark, rpm swing, come to the forum and uhhh-oh! - clutch replacement. I'm preparing for the $2k hit... and it's coming out of what I saved for an engagement ring.

yes, I can afford the annual service costs, which are steep regardless of which dealer you have. I'm fine with paying them to do it right so I can ride worry free. all vehicles have that - call it "regular maintenance" (duh).

unexpected costs of all previous vehicles:
honda: $0 in 80k
toyota: $300 - starter at 130k, $200 alternator at 150k
audi: $700 - tie rods, swing arm, wheel bearings in 40k

I also had the timing belts and tires replaced (consider that "regular"), plus oil changes and flushes obviously. say like $200-300 per trip to the service dept for each vehicle. that's generous. fine and dandy.

the LT needs all that stuff. trip to the dealer: $350-700 for "regular" maintenance. fine and dandy.

unexpected costs for BMW:
LT: $2000 - clutch @ 30k next time I go to the dealer. I put 15k on before a $2000 problem?
Add the "regular" maintenance cost of $300+ for the 30k "check up". I'm considering asking them to replace the QDs, shift linkage, and throttle cables (my throttle sticks severely), and rear disc which is loose and sounds like cowbells over railroad tracks - whoops! add another $800+ P&L.

I'm looking forward to $3000+ job next month. 30k miles on any machine should not be this expensive. "ALL BRANDS HAVE THEIR PROBLEMS" well yes, they do, but most brands don't cost THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS to fix. my bike is only worth $10k at most. where do you draw the line between paying for repairs and cutting your losses?

I hope my rear drive lasts as long as some of yours. I'm confident it will. same with the ABS. at least if that fails, it doesn't require fixing, just disconnecting the LED in the dash. there are 2 more $2k+ jobs.

the fact is this: whatever vehicle you think was expensive to maintain... it wasn't. the audi dealer (DEALER!! $75/hr) replaced a timing belt for $1100. I thought that was the biggest garage bill I would ever see. 10 hours of work + P&L. at least I had time to prepare for that. this clutch job is TWICE that?

to prospective owners: if you are tight on money, seriously consider another sled. with the purchase price of a used LT + $2k for a clutch (roll the dice) - plus anticipated costs for final drive and ABS (both rolls of the dice), plus misc costs for throttle cables, QDs, shift linkage, and hell I could've bought a brand new LT, GW, or HD and had the warranty!!

some of you say "just ride it". great advice! but that's not the answer.

and newbies - note that NOT EVERYONE HAS FAILURES!! many many riders here have had no problems. I bet the majority (50-75%) of the members here have had no problems. 140k with no problems? I'd love to be that guy. I'd be happy with even 70k worth of s'mile's. do you like Vegas? roll the dice on a used LT and see if you roll craps. I bet on BMWs legacy and lost $2k and counting. take your chances - what, 20% of LTs suffer clutch failures? take your pick out of 5 - pick the wrong one and it will cost $2k to fix. 10%? 5%? i bet it's way higher than that considering A) the riders on here who experience it and B) the dealers knowing full well about the drain hole, etc etc.

my dealer has a floor mat in the entryway - "BMW - legendary motorcycles from Germany" oh yeah? you've had 90 years of motorcycle engineering experience and still have critical failures that cost your riders double what the most expensive garage bill I've had in my lifetime was?

not many people want to put $1k aside every year "in case" their LT rears its ugly head in the form of a critical design flaw. I'd rather be saving for an engagement ring. "whine whine whine" - show me a single vehicle, on the roads of this planet, out of warranty, that costs $3000 to fix in under 30k miles and I'll quit whining.

scared? reluctant to dive into the world of riding BMW? I would be. yeah, I know so many of you are thinking "BLASPHEMER!! how dare you cometh on a BMW forum and complain about thy LT God." I'm just saying if you get an LT - you will, guaranteed, have to face clutch and rear drive replacements. 100k+ is the norm on these items, but some have to face them much sooner.

I'm just hoping not to roll craps in the future. When the time comes to replace it, I may get another LT, but I will definitely investigate further into the failures of certain models/years. If people ask me for advice about buying one, I will tell them exactly what I wrote in this post and let them decide if it's worth it. having said that, I love the bike and will continue to ride it and fix it IF it breaks.

edit: if anyone comes on and says "that's not true - bunchya rubbish - whatever you noob - troll!! - etc":
the fact is the clutch has an extremely well documented cause of failure via the slave or main seal leak between 20-30k. take your chances. and boy oh boy is it expensive to fix if you don't do it yourself. I'm simply advising you to beware of hefty unexpected costs.

Last edited by rjhammetter; May 17th, 2007 at 11:13 pm.
post #3 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 5:09 am

Ryan: Four LT's. 01,03 and two 05's...thusfar. 176,000 miles total. No ABS issues, no clutch slave issues, one final drive replaced in my current 05 at 49,000 miles. BMW replaced the entire unit under warranty. That's right, total (complete) unit covered by BMW even though it was well over on mileage. My shop gave me a loaner 07 R1200R while the repairs were being made. What did I do two days later? Bought a new R for a second bike. I ride a ton of miles every year, usually around 30,000 or so. Part of the reason that I have the time for that kind of mileage is because I am semi-retired and another reason is that I don't waste my time pissing and moaning and writing essays about how pissed I am.

I have an easy solution for you. Sell the LT and buy something else.

post #4 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel
Ryan: Four LT's. 01,03 and two 05's...thusfar. 176,000 miles total. No ABS issues, no clutch slave issues, one final drive replaced in my current 05 at 49,000 miles. BMW replaced the entire unit under warranty. That's right, total (complete) unit covered by BMW even though it was well over on mileage. My shop gave me a loaner 07 R1200R while the repairs were being made. What did I do two days later? Bought a new R for a second bike. I ride a ton of miles every year, usually around 30,000 or so....
I completely agree with RJHAMMETTER's thread. All I can say to your thread is I bet that your dealer paid for your final drive replacement. It is very unusual that BMW replaces anything so far out of warranty. After all, you are buying a new bike on average of every two years, your dealer does not want to lose you as a "loyal" customer. A lot of us do not have the funds to throw at BMW every two years.
Just my $.02

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
shoot I almost forgot! I am so worried about BMWs that I bought a '07 R1200GSA and the wife a R1200GS

<grin>

Just can't trust them panheads anymore, can ya?

;^)

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #6 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch102

;^)
Ouch! That left a mark................8^)

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #7 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:54 am

Whine Whine

I agree with Tom. If I had read this forum before I bought my LT, I most probably would not have purchased it. This forum does stress negatives, but it also provides a lot of info for newbies to BMW and LT in particular. Time will tell with my 05. No serious issues so far that were not covered by warranty. This forum has got me thinking about buying an extended warranty or going to a Gold Thing. I have several friends who ride the 1800 and have had no issues other than dealer incompetence issues. The LT is the best touring bike I have ever ridden and giving it up would be a difficult thing to do.

Ultra LT
post #8 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
edit: if anyone comes on and says "that's not true - bunchya rubbish - whatever you noob - troll!! - etc":
the fact is the clutch has an extremely well documented cause of failure via the slave or main seal leak between 20-30k. take your chances. and boy oh boy is it expensive to fix if you don't do it yourself. I'm simply advising you to beware of hefty unexpected costs.

No one is putting you down, but I got to ask why in the hell are you paying for a clutch replacement at 25k miles when the bike has a 36k 3 year warrranty? I mean shit is the damn oil leaks ruined the clutch BMW will take care of it
post #9 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 7:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch102

;^)

shit there went my dang coffee Lurch!

yea it should be back on the road here soon, then I'm selling my LT

Tom (hehehe)
post #10 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 7:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinks
Ouch! That left a mark................8^)

So see ya tonight for dinner?

<grin>
post #11 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 7:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
I agree with Tom. If I had read this forum before I bought my LT, I most probably would not have purchased it. This forum does stress negatives, but it also provides a lot of info for newbies to BMW and LT in particular. Time will tell with my 05. No serious issues so far that were not covered by warranty. This forum has got me thinking about buying an extended warranty or going to a Gold Thing. I have several friends who ride the 1800 and have had no issues other than dealer incompetence issues. The LT is the best touring bike I have ever ridden and giving it up would be a difficult thing to do.

Ultra LT
I'm having the ame issue right now, I have the GSA and a HD (well i think I still have it) I just have not brought myself to sell the lt yet, I know I will eventually as many bike s as we have it't become a pretty high insurance bill every month, I have three myself.

maybe I should sell them all and buy a used Concourse for about 3k

<g>
post #12 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 7:23 am

and newbies!!... this is what to look forward to if you knock BMW to a buncha BMW riders!!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel
I don't waste my time pissing and moaning and writing essays about how pissed I am. I have an easy solution for you. Sell the LT and buy something else.
keepin it classy I see. don't worry, it only took me 15 min. sell it? no. where did I say I hate the bike? I love the bike - so much so that it's worth this upcoming service. I'm confident it is the last time I will put money into her for a long time.

potential buyers - keep this in mind too.
all bikes have their problems. the GoldWing has a very well documented case of rear suspension failure very early on in its life. $2k to fix that baby too. it had electrical gremlins too (dash board failures) that are very costly as well. ALSO, Honda seems to have a problem with their frame. MEGA$$ to fix that too.

Harley has their own problems. I've heard about them all - $2k to fix. Harley regular maintenance is on par with BMW - $600 per tune up, so I'm guessing the unexpecteds are the same.

the point is there is no single bike you can buy that won't cost money. LT, GW, and HD are premium bikes made for big mileage. if you want the amenities, you're going to have to pay for it. just ride what you want to ride. be comfortable, love the scenery, and don't worry about what upcoming costs you might experience.

I love being on my bike. Life is good when I'm beginning a 600-mile ride on a Saturday... and when I'm getting back home 9 hours later... henceforth, the reason I'm sticking with it, and would consider another LT!!
post #13 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 9:00 am

If you're thinking about the Wing Thing, I wouldn't trust what your friends say, I'd get on any one of the numerous sites they have and read like you done here. I think you'll find the same whine sessions running there.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #14 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:29 pm

If I would have found this web site before I bought my LT,, I would have bought it anyway, I just would have never came back to this site.... But I bought my LT before I found this site so now I just come here everyday looking for the pissy, whinny threads so I can get a little laugh before bed...

I've owned as many bikes as anyone on here and most wre HD's.... Never once was I left sitting on the side of the rode because my Harley broke down... And I went from here way up north, out to ILL. on several trips to FL.,,, Even down into the south west,,,, NEVER ever carried any tools and never needed any....... But I'll tell ya this BMW is the best yet,,, 3 years and no problems at all.... When I trade it for a new one or something a little lighter this bike will still be running great and be on its original clutch and rear diff..... Just filters and fluid changes......

Sorry ya'll ain't happy with BMW motorcycles,,, probably need to go back to Ford trucks ...........Pete
post #15 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 7:59 pm

Angry

waaaaaaaaaah.............
Suck it up Ryan , either stick by your decision or move on...i like to do the occasional gripe myself but to tyrade is a little much... i sure have learned allot about my motorcycle on this site in a short time, and at the expense of others misfortune. I have owned a few bikes myself over the years since my first 72' Kaw100. And i have been allot of places on bikes and i love this BMW despite its pimples....and horrible air cleaner location Blah !!! I am talking to the war department already about getting a used GT, LT or GS...she is staying pretty hardline with me though. I enjoy riding this beast more and more and will likely pay whatever when the time comes to continue riding it. I may complain and ask what, where, why etc...but i will be loyal as long as i am here especially to those who ride the lessor bikes ... besides it sounds like you can always ride Grandpa's bike if the LT lets you down...
post #16 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 8:24 pm

You know, the more I'm watching this thread and the one that started it, the more I'm seeing what bad apples a couple of you guys are. Are you so vested into the BRAND that you honestly don't care about the quality of the bikes? It's not a reflection on you if someone is not satisfied with their LT. I don't know why in the hell you would start to insult anyone, or act like some pompous ass about how you've ridden around the world with a ballpoint pen and a roll of duct tape in your pocket without ever breaking down. Good on ya for getting away with it! If that's your attitude then you really don't exemplify what riding motorcycles is all about, in my honest opinion. If you can't be civil, why not try being quiet and keep some class and comraderie among the group? Seriously. The whole thing got started because someone was asking for honest opinions of the bike, and now it's turned into personal attacks because for some reason I certainly don't understand, people seem to think anyone with a different opinion than their own deserves to be disrespected. What gives??
If one of our group has had a bad experience with their LT (or ANY BMW for that matter) we should all be right there for them in support. Not bashing eachother over mechanical things that in reality are out of our control in the first place. Gees, have some respect will ya?

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #17 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 9:09 pm

Ryan has good points and most replies are good comments. I love the LT for the kind of lower mileage riding I do. I have 5 dealers within a 70 mile range which is a BIG plus, but I choose to do the grub work on my own and save big $$$$$. If I had to rely on just dealer service work and didn't have the wisdom of this board, I might have traded it years ago.

Truthfully, if I had to choose a bike to go to the ends of the earth with, I would go Kaw Connie (even with it's shortcommings) and add the accoutrements as needed.
post #18 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 9:20 pm

KMCI you're an OXYMORON...
post #19 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 9:23 pm

I don't know how to elaborate any better than kevin. screw the brand - I thought this forum was about a bunch of people that were all about the "ride". you think it's a big joke that I come on here and gripe about the serious reliability issues? do you honestly believe I like coming on here devuldging the flaws of the LT model?

face it - each and every one of you who rode "100k+ with no problems" got a good LT. not every LT owner has been as fortunate as you. for those of you who "come here everyday looking for the pissy, whinny threads so I can get a little laugh before bed"... I just wish you the same experience I've had. and if it's so funny - buy mine: right here, right now.

At least the GoldWings have a strong companionship regardless of the stuffed animals they zip tie to their luggage racks Hell, even HD riders can sympathize with each others' misfortune. What do BMW riders say when someone gripes?... "sell it and ride something else". great advice - I still have a $7k loan to pay on this machine, plus the repair coming up - which was supposed to be for a hitch and trailer so I can go camping this summer...

That's just great guys. Some of you collectively are a disappointment to the sport. It's no wonder the rest of the motorcycle world assumes I, and all other BMW riders, think they're better than everyone else just because I ride an LT.

and before you decide to start being disrespectful to people, the people who ride and love the same bike you do, consider whether or not you'd say the same thing I said if you were in my position.
post #20 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 9:24 pm

I think there's plenty of room on this site for those who want to complain loudly about the LT's (and BMW's) technical issues and the high cost of maintenance, and for those who want to commiserate with them. The LT's cost of maintenance is, IMO, tough to bare if you pay the dealer to do it all. I don't see the need to circle the BMW wagons and bash someone who isn't toeing the line.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #21 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 9:39 pm

The site says "BMW" so it is brand specific...thats the point isnt it, if i cared about other brands right now i would'nt be here and if i had your problems i would be looking for solutions or moving to another brand...but i woudlnt keep crying about it...if you want companionship get a wife...sorry, i'm not a social worker i guess.....
post #22 of 27 Old May 19th, 2007, 6:18 am

Let's see, my '00 has over 106k on the clock. Since 2005 I've replaced the clutch twice, just went through a grenaded rear end and now it looks like I've got a $1700 ABS II pump out on the bike. Big freakin' deal!!! As soon as I got the coin together, the ABS unit will get fixed and I'll continue to ride it. And why does everyone think that just because it's made in Germany, there shouldn't be issues. Sheesh. Over 106k miles, warts and all, and I'm still LOVIN' IT.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; May 19th, 2007 at 6:27 am.
post #23 of 27 Old May 19th, 2007, 8:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
. Over 106k miles, warts and all, and I'm still LOVIN' IT.
I ride BMW, not because of the warts, but because of the lustful way women look at me and the respect I get from men.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #24 of 27 Old May 19th, 2007, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I ride BMW, not because of the warts, but because of the lustful way women look at me and the respect I get from men.
Hmmm... I have to do more riding down south!

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #25 of 27 Old May 19th, 2007, 9:46 am

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Hmmm... I have to do more riding down south!
Rumor has it that most women and even "some" men would look at Griff that lustfull way
even if he was riding a moped!!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #26 of 27 Old May 19th, 2007, 1:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Rumor has it that most women and even "some" men would look at Griff that lustfull way
even if he was riding a moped!!
*snicker* Especially the "men". Though, as I was telling Sandar the mag, I've grown so old that even the gay guys have stopped looking

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #27 of 27 Old May 19th, 2007, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I ride BMW, not because of the warts, but because of the respectful way women look at me and the lustful look I get from men.

dang Grif! sis you start drinking early!

Hahahahahaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in