head light help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 17th, 2007, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

head light help

Need some help with a headlight issue.

About a month ago I installed a HID. Everything seemed to go fine. The other day while riding after about 1 hour the head light shut off. I have checked the fuse, and it is fine. I have used a meter and I have not voltage at the lamp. I re-installed the original light and still not voltage?

Every thing else seems to work, radio, high beam, turns signals. Any suggestions? Is there a relay for the head lights? What else in on the circuit with the headlight? Could the heat from the HID cause this problem?

I will be checking the tech for answers also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 5:04 am

Whats an Ight? Is it a small Italian?
post #3 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 5:24 am

Sounds like a bad ground to me. Check continuity of brown wire in headlight assem. Also check voltage to low beam using another ground source.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 5:50 am

Not to highjack your thread studawg, but mine went out about three months ago and I found that it was a bad connector.

I just noticed yesterday that it was out again on my way home from work. The day before I drove home in some minor rain showers (I do not know if this affected it). When I got home yesterday I reached under the nose cone and touched all of the wires, the light did not come on. I than tried turning on and off the ignition a bunch of times. After about ten attempts, the HID fired up, and is now working. Any suggestions from anyone on this?????

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:46 am

Mike, it still sounds like an intermitten ground. If it happens again I would unplug the HID at the connection after it exits the headlight housing and check to see if you have power at that point. If you have no power there then problem is in headlight housing, ie. poor connection etc. if you have power at that point I would look at ballast or ignitor checking each connection as you go.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #6 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 8:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybiker
Hey!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Not to highjack your thread studawg, but mine went out about three months ago and I found that it was a bad connector.

I just noticed yesterday that it was out again on my way home from work. The day before I drove home in some minor rain showers (I do not know if this affected it). When I got home yesterday I reached under the nose cone and touched all of the wires, the light did not come on. I than tried turning on and off the ignition a bunch of times. After about ten attempts, the HID fired up, and is now working. Any suggestions from anyone on this?????
My HID setup had a connector that the spade was loose. It would fire the HID, but then go out. I looked in the connector and saw that it would push right out the back. The little tang that holds it in the connector wasn't holding it. Re bent that a bit and put a piece of a toothpick in there to wedge it in place even better. No probs since.

Check and re-check connectors, everyone. At the price of the CQ light setup, we can't expect perfection and apparently the connectors and assembly are places where corners are cut to make the conversion profitable at that price point.

Randy
post #8 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 10:21 am

WARNING!!!! Do NOT attept to check voltage at the lamp itself!!! There is a HIGH VOLTAGE there and it will damage the average "test" equipment!!

I installed an HID which blew the fuse. Check that out.. check for voltage on the BMW wires and verify a good "ground"... If the "original" lamp won't light, chances are the fuse is gone.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 11:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybiker
???????????

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #10 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 12:02 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Hey!
Tony is NO SMALL ITALIAN!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Hey!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Tony is NO SMALL ITALIAN!
Oh jeez...
Now we get to watch an Italian and a Frenchman have a battle of wits. (This should be a quick match.)
post #12 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
WARNING!!!! Do NOT attept to check voltage at the lamp itself!!! There is a HIGH VOLTAGE there and it will damage the average "test" equipment!!

I installed an HID which blew the fuse. Check that out.. check for voltage on the BMW wires and verify a good "ground"... If the "original" lamp won't light, chances are the fuse is gone.

I did check the fuse labeled headlight a 7.5 a, i believe. I metered good and looks good. How ever not sure the book and fuses match.
post #13 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 1:08 pm

My HID conversion recently failed, the cause was the switch relay that is part of the wiring that comes with the kit. This is situated between the fuse and the bulb, if you are lucky like me you will have installed both main and dip headlight kits which will mean you will be able to swap the relay switch over to prove that is the switch which has failed.
post #14 of 14 Old May 18th, 2007, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous2
My HID conversion recently failed, the cause was the switch relay that is part of the wiring that comes with the kit. This is situated between the fuse and the bulb, if you are lucky like me you will have installed both main and dip headlight kits which will mean you will be able to swap the relay switch over to prove that is the switch which has failed.

I've had the same problem....turned out to be the low-beam relay....both times. Make sure that it's positioned with the male pins facing down.....if you have it the other way, water will seep inside and rust everything.

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in