K1200LT Breakdowns - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Question K1200LT Breakdowns

I gotta tell ya reading all the posts on rear drive, ABS, clutch, and god knows what other high $$$$$ failures, has got this fairly new LT owner concerned. I have ridden a 1985 K100RT for 8 yrs and not really sure how many thousands of miles with zero failures and was only stranded by my inability to pay attention to the fuel plus that I installed to avoid being stranded I have owned several Jap bikes before that with very little Mx other than preventative involved. (I know no comparison) My point/question is what does the quantifiable data say about these bikes ie... rear drive failures per bike sold by model yr or miles ridden?? I understand very few people sign on to a forum to talk about what a great ride they had this weekend and discuss the fact that the bike did not fail in some way, so I know or at least hope the measured statistics are not as bad as the perception. Anybody know where there might be some info on actual failure percentages/ratios?

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 2:50 pm

Like Dave Says

I too was worried before I bought my 05.

I have 47K on it now (9 K of it mine) and no problems. I do my own maintenance and am now considering my first tire change (cheapskate at heart).

I chalk up the forum info as bad news is news and it travels. How many hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles out there? No one posts that info frequently, but, a blowed-up-clutch, now I can sink my teeth into that.

Ditto on the "ride it like you stole it", just be prepared to replace tires
post #3 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 2:53 pm

39000 miles and very, very few problems! Those I had were minor and did not disrupt any trips. I find the bike to be very dependable. There have been polls done here on this site that you can look at to determine rear end failure ratios, etc. and it's good to read about the problems some have had so IF it happens, you have an idea what could be wrong, but don't let it worry you.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"

post #4 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 3:44 pm

There are many LT owners with many thousands of trouble free miles. If you read any forum dedicated to a particular vehicle, you will find so many horror stories that you would never buy anything. I have a '99 Ford turbo-diesel pickup with over 185,000 trouble free miles but if you read the forum, you would think it was the biggest piece of junk since the Yugo.

Secret to the LT? It likes to run and run hard! Don't let her sit for long. If something goes wrong, we are here to help you.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #5 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 3:55 pm

Do you feel lucky...well do you?

Some here have never had a break down. My 04' has had ALL the little $hit happen. Some are lucky and some are not.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #6 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 5:37 pm

Have ridden her HARD. No problems with 70000, all mine.
Remember; Bad news travels fast.
Enjoy her; ride her hard; when she breaks, fix it.
Why ride if you have to worry all the time.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #7 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Because of the great luck I had with my first BMW I choose think I have bought a good bike. Of course I bought the 1st one from a Master BMW tech at Iron Horse in Tucson. I do ride lt like I stole it and hope to do so for many troublefree miles. Had I spent a lot of time on this site before my purchase I might have been scared away. (Not too far as the R1200RT was my 2nd choice.) I think more than anything I don't want to listen to the SO giving me hell because my German engineered dream machine is broke down after the way I built em up to be the greatest thing since sliced bread Oh well I can blame it on the way she parked the car next to it.

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
post #8 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 6:02 pm

Smile

I have got 40K on my 2002 K1200LTC no problems I'M looking to buy new shocks for her now
post #9 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 6:10 pm

Jes ride 'er!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 6:11 pm

yep

The reason I sold my '99 was that because the day I purchased the k1200lt it started to show signs of wear on it..GO figure..

But seriously though it was a friday night special , anything that could go wrong went wrong! Stuck starter, Windscreen, Shocks, Final drive, Gaskets. Still my friend who just purchased a Gold wing had it even worse. His tire blew out and totaled the bike and he injured himself pretty good.

Just shows you..you never know!
post #11 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Have ridden her HARD. No problems with 70000, all mine.
Remember; Bad news travels fast.
Enjoy her; ride her hard; when she breaks, fix it.
Why ride if you have to worry all the time.

Zeke
Worry all the time is kinda funny. I probably worry less than anybody you know, besides I have a 1985 K bike waiting in the garage that is probably getting restless for a run anyway. Trust me I will and do ride it and the last thing on my mind is the rear drive failing. I am just curious if anybody had some real numbers on this bikes failures just to see if I really need to tear it halfway apart to drill a hole in it. So far I am thrilled with the power and handling (for what it is) and can't wait for the next sunset over the windsheild after a full day in the saddle.

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
post #12 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 6:33 pm

<what does the quantifiable data say>

NO meaningful, reliable data for these problems.

Bob
post #13 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 7:00 pm

So you've listened to some of us
Bitch
Moan (and)
Whine

It's not a perfect bike,
but I'd rather ride the LT than just about anything else on the market.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #14 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 7:04 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedexrider
Worry all the time is kinda funny. I probably worry less than anybody you know, besides I have a 1985 K bike waiting in the garage that is probably getting restless for a run anyway. Trust me I will and do ride it and the last thing on my mind is the rear drive failing. I am just curious if anybody had some real numbers on this bikes failures just to see if I really need to tear it halfway apart to drill a hole in it. So far I am thrilled with the power and handling (for what it is) and can't wait for the next sunset over the windsheild after a full day in the saddle.
Jerry;

That was not meant has an insult. Most BMW owners ride ALOT.
I was just saying that you hear bad news alot faster then good.
Ive had the same things going thru my head about the drill. But after 70000 trouble free miles I will ride it till the clutch goes and do all at once. As a Maint. supervisor IF IT AINT BROKE DONT TOUCH WITH IT. (cleaned up)
No bad feelings.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #15 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Quote:
I gotta tell ya reading all the posts on rear drive, ABS, clutch, and god knows what other high $$$$$ failures, has got this fairly new LT owner concerned.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22995
post #16 of 27 Old May 17th, 2007, 11:07 pm Thread Starter

Zeke
Not taken as an insult but just thought it was funny. If you knew me you would understand why. No bad feelings whatsoever. I guess I need to learn to use the smiley things more often in my posts.

Hans,
Love the acronym. First time I've seen that one believe or not. I am truly a newbie to this forum thing. Been riding bikes(does a mini bike count?) since I was Ten so not new to that.

TMGS
Good post from the archive. As an (semi) old ex aircraft mechanic I know anything mechanical is going to break. But as my bike was bought used from a private owner (no warranty) with low mileage (10000) these doom and gloom posts had me thinking I needed to start throwing tupperware and drilling holes.

I think I'll take Zekes advice and ride it til it crys uncle. I'll save the hole drilling for when someone local with the savvy and know how decides to have a tech session. I promise when and if mine takes a S#@t I will post for informational purposes but will try to limit the Bitching Moaning & Whining. (didn't take me long to plagerize that one Hans)

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
post #17 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 1:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
So you've listened to some of us
Bitch
Moan (and)
Whine
I thought it was:
Broke
My
Wallet?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #18 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 2:05 am

See my new sub-title..."Ride it 'til it breaks". The rest of that is..."then fix it, and ride it some more." BMW motorcycles are machines, and machines do break. I know lots of guys riding other bikes, and they all have their own breakdown stories.
post #19 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 2:44 am

Go have a look at ANY other vehicle forum. All you really hear about are the problems people have, had or are about to have with their vehicle. After reading some of them, go find a forum that "supports" your car/truck. Read through it all and see if you'd have bought your vehicle based on the problems related there.
post #20 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:55 am

Drilling that little hole

I bought my '03 LTC with 15,900 miles on it and one week left on the warranty. That was in November. In March the slave cylinder leaked and ruined my clutch. Made me wish I had drilled that little hole before it failed. I sold my '05 Yamaha Venture last week (on consignment at a Honda dealer). It had 38K carefree miles on it and it still has 3 years left on the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. None of my rice burners have ever missed a lick. I hope my LT will prove to be as reliable.............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #21 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 7:01 am

Quote:
Hi Mr Fedexrider,
kind of interesting that we both have two of the same bikes. My 85 "K" is my daily work bike while the LT is the two-up pleasure mobile. Being a preventative maintenance fanatic I decided to drill the slave weep hole this spring at 20 K miles. Cost was my time and some cussing on getting the swing arm drive shaft assembly back in It gave me a chance to do a close inspection on all of the related seals. It also gave me a chance to get a good feel on the final drive bearing since it was now separated from the bike. My reasoning was that IF drilling the hole prevented clutch failure the time was WELL spent and worth the peace of mind.

Ultimately it is your bike so make your own decisions.

NOTE: I put between $1500 & $2000 in my old "K" in 04 at 40K miles. I still bought another Beemer even without a local dealer anymore. Does this make me loyal or Stupid?

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #22 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 10:19 am

I like "ride it till it breaks" even better than "ride it like you stole it"! Good one.

Scott

2000 Canyon Red LTC
"Arizona"
"You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't."
post #23 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 10:35 am

Quote:
I gotta tell ya reading all the posts on rear drive, ABS, clutch, and god knows what other high $$$$$ failures, has got this fairly new LT owner concerned. I have ridden a 1985 K100RT for 8 yrs and not really sure how many thousands of miles with zero failures and was only stranded by my inability to pay attention to the fuel plus that I installed to avoid being stranded I have owned several Jap bikes before that with very little Mx other than preventative involved. (I know no comparison) My point/question is what does the quantifiable data say about these bikes ie... rear drive failures per bike sold by model yr or miles ridden?? I understand very few people sign on to a forum to talk about what a great ride they had this weekend and discuss the fact that the bike did not fail in some way, so I know or at least hope the measured statistics are not as bad as the perception. Anybody know where there might be some info on actual failure percentages/ratios?
Is there a similar forum for your K100RT? Is there any problem with failures on those? I would say EVERY bike has it's "quirks" that show up on these forums. Early Vstroms had clutch basket problems, and a few other odd things. Mine was first model year, 2002, VIN # 00086, so it was an early build, one of the first 100 to rollout. I never had any problmes with that bike other than tightening up a hose clamp and the ignition cover plug thing needed tightening. But all these guys on the forums were complaining about this that and the other, while mine was trouble free.

You won;t see a lot of folks that are having no problems until there is a problem and they come somewhere like here for tech assistance. I came here first for research and made the decision to loook for an 03.

But look at the variety of "problems" on an LT vs the problems of other bikes. They all have something. Same with cars. My Nissan truck has an A/C line that runs above the exhaust and the condensation drips and it sizzles anytime the A/C or defroster is used. not worth complaining about to me.

Sounds like you have good history with BMW and before I got here I had head nothing but good about the longevity of BMWs. Of course, I heard that about Audis too and had one of the sorriest ones ever built. My LT has lasted longer than the MONTH I owned the Audi before it had to have a transmission.

I bought my LT with the knowledge that some problems may exist with some bikes. I can't buy based on fear of problems, unless it were a YUGO or something.

Just ride and enjoy till it breaks down. And don't focus on the negativity.

Randy
post #24 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 10:37 am

[QUOTE=Fedexrider]I gotta tell ya reading all the posts on rear drive, ABS, clutch, and god knows what other high $$$$$ failures, has got this fairly new LT owner concerned.... ...My point/question is what does the quantifiable data say about these bikes ie... rear drive failures per bike sold by model yr or miles ridden??

A quote from my post to the MOA Tech forum on K -bikes:

According to BMW, the premature failure problem of the final drive crown gear bearing was way overblown on the internet, and has only affected about two (2) percent of the LTs. The recommended final drive oil change interval has in fact been extended from 6,000 to 12,000 miles, since the oil nearly always comes out clean at 6,000 miles, and only somewhat less clean at 12,000 miles. I will probably change the final drive oil every 9,000 miles, to coincide with the engine oil change (every 3000 miles), since I want to see clean oil only. The only two LT final drive bearing failures my service manager has seen involved (a.) a metal staple introduced to the final drive during a previous service, and (b.) riding 30 miles on a dry rear after a known, sudden seal failure.

Hope this puts your mind at ease. While we're on the subject of reliability, here's another snippet from my same post:

Back in September, when I had my 600 mile break-in service, I was told by the BMW service manager that I should try to get my 12,000 mile and annual service to coincide, since they overlapped somewhat, and I could save some bucks.

He recently informed me of an extension by BMW of the one-year cycle to a two-year cycle, since the basis for the one-year service was primarily to replace the brake fluid to rid the system of water. BMW switched (before my 2006 model year) from rubber to stainless steel brake lines which proved to be a more effective moisture barrier, allowing the two-year maintenance cycle.
post #25 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 11:03 am

rear drive, clutch, etc...you guys forgot about the cost for the trunk latch!

Oh, and the Cee-Bailey, GPS, HID, Foot Pegs...
post #26 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 1:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
Is there a similar forum for your K100RT? Is there any problem with failures on those? I would say EVERY bike has it's "quirks" that show up on these forums.
Randy

Yes there is a site for old Ks and here are the top three failure items:

1) Final Drive splines if not lubricated every 10 15K will fail. Approx $650 if you do the labor
2) Speedometers were close to 100% failure rate. $800 new or if lucky Palo Alto can repair it for a little less
3) Clutch splines if not lubed would also fail. Dont have a price for this but would be very labor intensive and require replacing trans input shaft.

Early Ks did not have ABS, hydraulic clutches, and very, very rare final drive bearing failures.

Just kind of shows that most if not all models have there problems and we still ride them.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #27 of 27 Old May 18th, 2007, 5:04 pm

An old tongue-in-cheek post about LT problems

Had to be 3 or 4 years ago, included something about losing the resolution on my J-Pegs, I can't remember the other lines.

Was it Dave Dragon who wrote it? Appeared to start as a serious criticism about all the LT things, but by the time you were done reading, you were ROTF.

Anybody remember this? I remember Dave Shealey replied. I spent the last two hours searching the old .net site, but could not find it.

Anybody remember what I'm talking about?

FridayBob Chalfant
University Circle, Cleveland, OH
'01 LTC in black, Elvira
'07 LTC in Blue, no name yet
129,000+ miles, 49 states, 9 provinces, Mexico

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in