coolent change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old May 16th, 2007, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

coolent change

Attended the tech session 5-5-07 hosted by Griff. Everyone was great and friendly. I learned more than I thought I would. Next question about maintance is the coolent changing. Any got-ya's in attempting this? Does the rubber need to be changed? I have read the info here about the break fluid and that seems straight forward.

any info on either topic is helpfull.

Jim
01 LT 22500 mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old May 16th, 2007, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

also is there any other coolent other than the BMW stuff that will work.

Jim
post #3 of 29 Old May 16th, 2007, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider
Attended the tech session 5-5-07 hosted by Griff. Everyone was great and friendly. I learned more than I thought I would. Next question about maintance is the coolent changing. Any got-ya's in attempting this? Does the rubber need to be changed? I have read the info here about the break fluid and that seems straight forward.

Jim
01 LT 22500 mi
Hi, Jim. Glad to have metcha at Grif's tech session. That one just about covered everythang; 'cept I don't remember if Brian or Bones did a coolant change?

Ole Toad is due for a coolant change also - don't remember the last time it wuz changed, butt would have been Lone Star who did it, so it's been a coupla years or more. At any rate, maybe we can schedule another tech session somewhere and do a two-fer coolant change. I think there are write ups in HoW pages describing the process. I betcha we can find somebody around here who has changed their's and might be willing to lend a hand. I'll check my social calendar and see if there are any dates that might work for you and others, assuming you'd like company!!

Regarding other brands of coolant - there are some 'no-no's' and 'must have's' as far as the coolant formula recommended by BMW. I've got a gallon of BMW and I'll take a look at the recipe in the next day or so to see whats in it, and letcha know. In the meantime, I'll watch this thread for responses you'll be getting.

post #4 of 29 Old May 16th, 2007, 10:06 pm

Last time I checked it was 50-50 or 60-40 for "extreme" conditions.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 Old May 16th, 2007, 10:10 pm

That's antifreeze to water 60-40 which is a nice way to go in case you ever need to top it off with straight water.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 Old May 17th, 2007, 6:54 am

Coolant Change

I personally used what I had in the cabinet. Any name brand will do. I'm sure everyone has their personal favorites. Mix it 50/50 with water. There are write ups posted. I've done it both ways, the way the book says, and what I can only call dshealy's way which is much faster, but can make a hell of a mess with all the antifreeze going all over if you aren't careful.

I won't even try to spell out all the steps here. If you can't find the write up, message me and I'll get you the steps I used. It's pretty straightforward. Draining is the EASY part. It's the filling that is tricky. At least I thought it was. I had a difficult time getting my fill tube in the neck of the radiator with all the plastic still on.
post #7 of 29 Old May 17th, 2007, 7:26 am
was

Careful. The manual states that the LT needs a 50:50 mixture of nitrate free coolant with corrosion inhibitors. If you are going to mix your own, the manual recommends "only soft or distilled water. Never use tap water or salt water. . . . Never use alcohol based antifreeze." You can buy a jug of the nitrate free pre-mixed stuff with corrosion inhibitors at any auto parts store. Changing the coolant is a bit of a pita because the radiator cap and fill opening are buried. I wait until I am going to have the tupperware off for other maintenance purposes and change the coolant at the same time. The manual recommended intervals are to check the coolant level and concentration every 12K, replace coolant annually.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #8 of 29 Old May 17th, 2007, 8:37 am

Probably a foolish question , but why do you need to change the antifreeze. I have owned cars and trucks that I know th antifreeze wasn't changed in 20 years and no problems.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 29 Old May 17th, 2007, 11:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider

Jim
01 LT 22500 mi
Hola Jim, good to hear from ya. Enjoyed the chat and meeting ya.
I did not change the coolant at this service but I did last year. I feel OK with a two (or more) year interval period. Even is the hot part of Tejas I do not worry too much.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 29 Old May 17th, 2007, 11:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

I would stick with the BMW coolant. 1 gallon will do at least 3 changes. While I had it drained and tupperware free I decided to replace the 4 year old cap. Went to auto parts to buy one,no dice,they fit but the OEM is a 21 lb test and the best auto parts one is 16lb. Got one on order from Chicago BMW though. Should be here sometime next year.

dan
post #11 of 29 Old May 17th, 2007, 4:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
I would stick with the BMW coolant. 1 gallon will do at least 3 changes. While I had it drained and tupperware free I decided to replace the 4 year old cap. Went to auto parts to buy one,no dice,they fit but the OEM is a 21 lb test and the best auto parts one is 16lb. Got one on order from Chicago BMW though. Should be here sometime next year.

dan
I did mine this year and used almost a full gallon.. ??

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #12 of 29 Old May 17th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I did mine this year and used almost a full gallon.. ??
How? The coolant needs to be diluted 50-50. it only holds 2.5 quarts.

dan
post #13 of 29 Old May 17th, 2007, 7:22 pm

Quote:

dan
Well, looks like I need to drain a few quarts out...

I went and 'really' looked. I find I should have read the directions a little closer.. It said not to add anything else to the solution but reading more carefully it also said to add water to a 50/50 or 60/40 concentration...

Good thing I haven't been in any extreme weather.. yet...

I just love it when I make work for myself..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #14 of 29 Old May 18th, 2007, 7:59 am

I spoke with my dealer about getting the air and fuel filter changed (I'm too chicken to remove the gas tank myself) and also asked about changing the anti-freeze. He said to change the anti-freeze every four years if you are putting on the miles per year that I am (about 13,000). I know this differs from the manual, but dealers frequently do things not in the book and I think my dealer is extremely competent so I'll follow his recommendations.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #15 of 29 Old May 18th, 2007, 8:41 am

don't get to say this too often...

...and it may seem counterintuitive, but your local HD dealer stocks an antifreeze for the V-rod that is premixed to 50-50 with distilled water, and meets the BMW spec.

with its porsche designed engine, the needs are pretty similar - its convenient, and the price is not outta line.

as always YMMV. ;-)

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #16 of 29 Old May 18th, 2007, 11:55 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrickland55
Probably a foolish question , but why do you need to change the antifreeze. I have owned cars and trucks that I know th antifreeze wasn't changed in 20 years and no problems.
No, there are no foolish questions, Al. Many people never change the coolant in their cars/trucks (although it usually is recommended by the manufacturer). The reasons that I do it on the LT include: 1) Corrosion inhibitors break down over time, and I don't want any corrosion anywhere in the cooling system. 2) The 50:50 recommended mixture of water and antifreeze will change over time, mostly due to condensation within the system, which means that the water will increase in proportion to the antifreeze. I live in the North and ride year round, so I want to make sure that I keep the proportions right. 3) New coolant is more efficient and effective in pulling heat from the engine and getting rid of it in the radiators than old coolant. 4) Coolant fluid gets dirty over time, and I want to flush out the crud before it has a chance to settle into some corner and begin blocking a passage.
I have not heard of many radiator failures on LTs, so this might be overkill. For me, changing the coolant is cheap insurance.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #17 of 29 Old May 18th, 2007, 3:47 pm

Quote:
dan
I just changed mine and it took approximately 4 quarts including the overflow tank.

I am hoping that all of the air was removed when I filled it. I have not started it yet as I want to check the valves. Only time will tell!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #18 of 29 Old May 18th, 2007, 4:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I just changed mine and it took approximately 4 quarts including the overflow tank.

I am hoping that all of the air was removed when I filled it. I have not started it yet as I want to check the valves. Only time will tell!
Did you massage the hoses? That helps to burp the air out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 29 Old May 19th, 2007, 1:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Did you massage the hoses? That helps to burp the air out.
No I did not massage the hoses. I think that I was the one needing the massage. I filled the radiator extremely slow hoping that all the air would get out. I took it out for a ride today and the temperature gauge seemed to be working fine. After pulling the tank I can see why the bmw dealers charge what they do. They also have to mess with any farkles installed.

My bigger issue is one of my intake valves is at .005 (?). I am going to make a appointment with my local bmw shop and tell them that I will strip all the plastic off so they just have to check and adjust the valve(s).

This is the first time that I changed my air and fuel filter, I am not going to tackle adjusting the valves and worry about what size buckets to get, let alone pulling the timing chain sprokets.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #20 of 29 Old May 19th, 2007, 2:04 pm

I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of stripping the plastic off before taking it in for service. I have watched my dealer strip the plastic completely from an LT and it took him about ten minutes. Even at $85/hour that isn't much money. I agree though that some things just aren't worth doing yourself, especially if a man knows his limitations. I know mine and pay for valve checks/adjustments, brake fluid changes, etc. I even chickened out on pulling the gas tank for air and fuel filter replacements. I'll think about changing the radiator coolant next year, but we'll see.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #21 of 29 Old May 20th, 2007, 6:14 pm

Glysantin G48

This is the fluid recommended by BMW.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Glysantin_G48_TDS1.pdf (29.8 KB, 182 views)

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #22 of 29 Old May 20th, 2007, 7:33 pm
was

Quote:

dan
2.6 qt for the coolant circuit, but total capacity is 3.3 qt and the reserve tank is another 0.63 qt. Just a tick under a gallon when refilling the entire system.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #23 of 29 Old May 21st, 2007, 4:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
2.6 qt for the coolant circuit, but total capacity is 3.3 qt and the reserve tank is another 0.63 qt. Just a tick under a gallon when refilling the entire system.
This is about how much I put in, just under a gallon including the reserve tank.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #24 of 29 Old May 6th, 2008, 6:53 am

Re: coolent change

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Well, looks like I need to drain a few quarts out...

I went and 'really' looked. I find I should have read the directions a little closer.. It said not to add anything else to the solution but reading more carefully it also said to add water to a 50/50 or 60/40 concentration...

Good thing I haven't been in any extreme weather.. yet...

I just love it when I make work for myself..
You probably should consider draining your undiluted anti-freeze and replace with 50-50. The 100% antifreeze will not transfer heat effectively.

post #25 of 29 Old May 6th, 2008, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
No, there are no foolish questions, Al. Many people never change the coolant in their cars/trucks (although it usually is recommended by the manufacturer). The reasons that I do it on the LT include: 1) Corrosion inhibitors break down over time, and I don't want any corrosion anywhere in the cooling system. 2) The 50:50 recommended mixture of water and antifreeze will change over time, mostly due to condensation within the system, which means that the water will increase in proportion to the antifreeze. I live in the North and ride year round, so I want to make sure that I keep the proportions right. 3) New coolant is more efficient and effective in pulling heat from the engine and getting rid of it in the radiators than old coolant. 4) Coolant fluid gets dirty over time, and I want to flush out the crud before it has a chance to settle into some corner and begin blocking a passage.
I have not heard of many radiator failures on LTs, so this might be overkill. For me, changing the coolant is cheap insurance.
Good answer , was. Good coolant is VERY important to any watercooled engine. In modern engines there are varying types (silicate or non etc.) and some of these can indeed last for quite some time and not need changing. Remember the coolant in its mixture raises the boiling point of the water its mixed with and lowers the freezing point so in the extremes you dont have problems. Also remember it lubricates your water pump and keeps corrosion out of the system as mentioned. ALWAYS use only distilled water if you are going to mix your own - the various minerals that can be present in different water can be detrimental to your cooling system (corrosion buildup etc.)

There are test strips available to test whether your coolant is still doing its job that are very easy to use. You just dip them in the coolant and there are three different patches which will turn colors depending on the levels in the coolant and you can easily compare to the color guide to determine how good the coolant is - this is an inexpensive easy way to determine if and when you need a cooling system drain/flush.
post #26 of 29 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 5:52 pm

ok.....the maintenance book tells me to keep the level of the coolant between the lines on the overflow tank. when i top of this tank, it obviously ends up in the radiator, but where did they hide the radiator cap? and am i adding coolant properly? also, after a 2 day 500 mile (hot) ride, the level was down, is the normal? thanks in advance!!!!
post #27 of 29 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 6:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi_n_ami
ok.....the maintenance book tells me to keep the level of the coolant between the lines on the overflow tank. when i top of this tank, it obviously ends up in the radiator, but where did they hide the radiator cap? and am i adding coolant properly? also, after a 2 day 500 mile (hot) ride, the level was down, is the normal? thanks in advance!!!!
The cap is on top of the port radiator (shifter side). Just keep an eye on the level as it cools it will draw back from the overflow tank. Also you can get genuine BMW coolant from any BMW car dealer. It is the same stuff.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #28 of 29 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 8:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Bought a gallon of BMW coolant at one of the local dealers --$19.25 + tax

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #29 of 29 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:26 pm

Garage

Went to the local dealer and found that like all things BMW, coolant is about half price and same formula at the Hardly dealer! Guess there good for sump'n!

Murphy's law & no Excuses!
and no1 can argue!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in