The Next LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 16th, 2007, 11:27 am Thread Starter

The Next LT

Any info on what the next LT will be like, or when it may be available? Girlfriend wants some side bolstering on the back seat which means I may be forced to consider a Gold Wing, or worse a Harley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 16th, 2007, 11:39 am

I was out riding on an 07 Wide Glide and Softail yesterday as I'm considering a purchase. (Since my LT can't seem to stay out of the shop for more than a couple months at a time )
I would encourage you to go and try out the new lineup if you haven't already. The 96" with the 6 speed is a really sweet drivetrain for the real world, I was very impressed with it. The handling is not near the BMW, but really only matters if you're trying to ride faster than you should be going anway. M2CW

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #3 of 10 Old May 16th, 2007, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

I like my LT very much as it fits my riding style. I'm surprised that you are having problems with your LT. Mine has only been in the shop for routine maint, except for one electrical problem that needed a little extra attention. I love the look of the Harley, but, other than the V-Rod, I've never been impressed with the performance. I do plan to rent a new Ultra-Classic, and run it around town a bit to see how it feels. However, it will have to be a HUGE improvement, and I dont see that happening. I can only assume that you got one of the few bad apples that fall off the BMW tree. I've known some people that have switched to HD from BMW, but it was based on looks, or they didn't like the top heavy feel of a BMW. I've never heard of the switch being made because of reliability. I hope you get the problems with your BMW resolved soon.

post #4 of 10 Old May 16th, 2007, 1:38 pm

There is a lot of Harley bashing here on this web site, some of it deserved, and some of it undeserved. I had an older Ultra Classic (1997) and I loved the bike. I only ever really had one problem with it, and it was fairly major (main bearing in the crankshaft) but it was covered by warranty. During the time it was in the shop, my Dealer gave me a new demo bike to ride for the entire time. I know not all dealers will do that, but mine did. Other than that issue, the bike was reliable and comfortable. When I got my LT, I found myself hardly ever riding the Harley, so this spring some offered me a fair price for the bike, and I sold it. I might also offer that the price was $4000 less than what I paid for it new, and after I had ridden it for over 50000 miles. The new Harleys are much better than my old one in features and comfort and quality. Having said that, I don't think they compare to and LT in any respect except for reliablity. When the LT is running it is a dream to ride and so much more fun. BUT, they do have issues. My ABS isn't working and it will cost me about as much to fix as the rebuilt engine would have cost in my Harley. I am concerned about the rear drive failing, and the clutch. Both monumental expenses, since mine is not on warranty. I will never own another LT that is not covered by warranty!!! My BMW dealer is 120 miles away, and a small shop with only one certified Mechanic. It takes weeks to get the bike in for minor repairs and even longer for necessary maintence. They do not give out loaner bikes either! I am learning to do much of the maintence myself. When I get ready for a new bike, I am not sure what I am going to do. I want to buy an new LT, but I just am not sure. I have ridden GW's, and they are a wonderful bike, but not nearly as much fun to ride as the LT or even the Harley. Again, I don't kwow what I am going to do, but I am not going to rule out a Harley just because it is a Harley. I have read some speculation that the next generation Harley touring bike is going to be built around the V Rod liquid cooled engine. Might be something to wait for and at least see about.
post #5 of 10 Old May 16th, 2007, 3:24 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyKnight
Any info on what the next LT will be like, or when it may be available? Girlfriend wants some side bolstering on the back seat which means I may be forced to consider a Gold Wing, or worse a Harley.
Or perhaps a custom seat for her to make her more supported/comfortable. There are also passenger armrests available for the LT that may make her feel more secure. The combo of these are cheaper than any bike I know.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old May 16th, 2007, 3:29 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyKnight
There are at least 4 styles of armrests on the market for the LT and Corbin makes a replacement seat and back rest that incorporates the armrests into the seat...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old May 16th, 2007, 5:48 pm

JR, you nailed it!
Everything you said is absolutely on the money. I would really like to have a 2nd bike as a run-around toy as I don't trust my /7 (I'm thinking of selling it actually) and would love to get a GS, but I'm not really sure I want to get back in bed with BMW.
I appeciate the well-wishes too. I really enjoy the LT overall, but so far the shift linkage, the radio, the fuel quick disconnects, the rear main seal, the input shaft seal, The main ground cable, the rear brake rotor, the ABS control module have all failed - in 17,000 miles! The only bike I've EVER heard of having a worse reliability record is...Harley when AMF owned them.....I've had the bike roll off the sidestand (when I was a noob to it) and I've also had to address the seat being a POS and the lighting being stooooopid. Then there's the ridiculous service costs...... Overall I can honestly say I am NOT impressed with the LT except for it's ability to make time down a twisty road that no 900lb behemoth has a right to. Truthfully, in my book, that's not enough.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Last edited by KMC1; May 16th, 2007 at 5:51 pm. Reason: forgot ground issues
post #8 of 10 Old May 16th, 2007, 6:26 pm

I just switched back

Got my 07 FLTR,Roadglide last week.What a fantastic ride.The new 96" motor and 6 speed tranny are fantastic.No,it doesn't absorb the bumps quite as well as my 05 LT,but I no longer experience any hip or knee pain and I had bought everything possible for the LT trying to get comfy.Gotta go with what fits.Handling is great,sits so much lower to the ground,and I don't ride like a sport bike rider,fits my style of riding.Sure is nice to have unlimited supply of accessories and a dealer network unmatched by any other brand.Have owned 6 BMW's over the years,doubt that I'll ever own another one.Yes,I got a sweet deal on the HD cause I work at the local HD shop here in Paducah,Ky,but I also ride 70 miles round trip to work rain or shine.Still planing on CCR 07,but will be on the HD this time.Maybe my 05 LT will be sold by then.
post #9 of 10 Old May 16th, 2007, 7:05 pm

When I had had enough of the local HD awful attitude, and poor customer service (I had stopped buying parts from them years before trying to buy a new FL), my wife and I test rode different bikes. If Marietta didn't enjoy the ride, I didn't see any reason to consider the bike.

One of the reasons I choose the LT over a GW, was that the LT was cooler on my feet when the temps were just in the 90s.

The most import thing, if you like to ride, is to have a bike y'all like to ride.

Bob, Oh Oh LT
post #10 of 10 Old May 16th, 2007, 11:46 pm

I would say that there is a comparison to be made btw the gw and the lt, but no comparison btw either and anything hd has to offer. Not bc it's hd but bc they just don't make anything remotely close to the gw or the lt. They make big bikes but they don't look, perform or protect anything like the gw or lt. That isn't bashing hd that's just the cold hard facts. Now if we were comparing vstorms valkarie's and hd's I guess there would be comparisons to be made but the lt or the gw, none whatsoever.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in