Delphi XM Roady XT hook up - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 15th, 2007, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Delphi XM Roady XT hook up

OK im satellite radio bound , now how do I hook the thing up..... It comes with a car kit but its going on my bike i may use the car kit for my ......you guessed it CAR! Cyclegadgets has a complete pkg- radio holder for clutch or brake with built in antenna , 5v hard wire power supply(no cig cord) , direct fm adapter for clear audio , and of course a rain cover. All of that for about 100$. But ya still have to hook it up So advice advice advice step by step pic by pic or hey maybe if you live close to me (Bristol ,TN) I could feed ya. My brother and I do run a small catering service(Good Times BBQ)
chopped pork , ribs and chicken with all the fixins. Anyway all help I could get would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 15th, 2007, 10:58 am
W67

Cycle gadgets package

I purchased the package from cycle gadgets. The XT is not the radio you want unless you are able to take your bike apart and install the FM direct adapter. It comes with a "sure connect" cord that has to be connected to your FM antenna at the rear of the bike. The roady holder in the package will completely block your view of the mirror. They sell an offset holder made for the LT but that is not what they chose to put in the package. So, I ordered the offset bracket and a better rain cover from hoon hardware and a roady2 on ebay. I bought a cig. lighter plug from pepboys and wired in to one of my running lights. I used the cig. lighter power cord that came with the roady2, ran it through the handle bar cover, plugged it in, sealed the connection and secured it a zip tie behind the turn signal. It works fine. Next time I have it serviced, I will let them install the FM direct adapter. Good luck with your install!

Winston
post #3 of 12 Old May 15th, 2007, 8:10 pm

I tried the brackets and ended up just putting a piece of dual lock on the back and stick it directly to the top of the oddments box. That way, when it rains I can quickly stick it in the oddments box and keep listening.

Do the direct antenna connection. You should only have to take the left side off to install it and hide the box under the stingray.

You can also take apart the 5V power supply and hardwire the power in (not to mention weather proof it with some silicone).

PM me if you have questions on the install.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge

post #4 of 12 Old May 15th, 2007, 10:35 pm Thread Starter

when i get it and the necessary equipment i will let you know should be about a week and half
post #5 of 12 Old May 16th, 2007, 12:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldaggs
when i get it and the necessary equipment i will let you know should be about a week and half
Hey, Darryl - add this website for some install solutions. The voltage knock-down module, from 12V to 5V, is in a cigarette lighter-type plug, so I used a female lighter receptacle mounted behind the map light and powered off double spade connectors to the map light power-bracket. The cigarette lighter-type plug is thenfed thru the maplight notch and plugged into the side of the XT docking cradle. That takes care of power. For the antenna, I bought a 4' puck antenna from myradiostore and the puck is mounted on the shelf and connected to the side of the cradle. I prolly could have used a 1' antenna lead, butt if I ever wanna change the XT's location, the 4' should take care of that. Extra antenna lead is figure-8 looped around the mounting bracket that is attached to the shelf. The XT has a built-in FM transmitter, so I didn't use the included cassette adaptor. Ole Toad is a '99 and does have the cassette player in the oddments box, butt the FM transmitter seems to work ok, so we'll keep the cassette adaptor as back up if thangs ever change.

The XT radio is mounted into the docking unit, which hangs off the front edge of my shelf. I used a coupla zip-ties to keep vibrations down and hopefully, keep the unit from going south if we hit a beeg pothole, or....

Hope this helps a leetle, Darryl. Smarter folks than me will surely be around to help with your installation when the time comes. If I can remember to buy some camera batteries sometime, I'll take a pix and post it. Good luck with your installation.
post #6 of 12 Old May 16th, 2007, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dick for the info. I recieved my unit today and started first I hooked up my vehicle took about 20 minutes, but im going to change the power supply to vehicle power. I also used the magnet antenna for my vehicle. So I have left my FM antenna attachment I will use this on my bike I think and purchase a power adapter maybe the cigarrette type and wire it in.
post #7 of 12 Old May 16th, 2007, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Thanks Dick for the info. I recieved my unit today and started first I hooked up my vehicle took about 20 minutes, but im going to change the power supply to vehicle power. I also used the magnet antenna for my vehicle. So I have left my FM antenna attachment I will use this on my bike I think and purchase a power adapter maybe the cigarrette type and wire it in.
Not sure if these pix are gonna work; sumpthin' is goin' on in my software that's weird. Anyway, Darryl - this is where my Roady XT is mounted, including the antenna puck on the leetle velcro covered shelf, which is right above the SmarTire pressure monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XT mounting1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	11789   Click image for larger version

Name:	XT mounting2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	11790   Click image for larger version

Name:	XT mounting3.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	11791  
post #8 of 12 Old May 16th, 2007, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dick that does help give me some ideas.
post #9 of 12 Old May 16th, 2007, 10:53 pm

Darryl,

PM sent.

I also posted in the XM forum on here directions on how to shorten the antenna cable to you don't have an extra 50 ft of cable with you. It involves a compound solder joint, but even as much of hack as I am at soldering can do a decent job of it. Plus, it saves you a few more bucks and lets you use the little antenna thats included.

Happy installing!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_5638.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	11797   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5641.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	11798  

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #10 of 12 Old May 30th, 2007, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

Well my Roady Xt is installed and doing great. I robbed power from the front seat heater and hid all wiring under the seat and some in the BC box. I mounted the radio on top of my radio read out using the Roady swivel mount and 3m adhesive. The antenna is on top of my topcases chrome rack. It is very clear through my headset via the cassette adapter or through the bikes speakers. The jazz across the BRP was great and had some folks checking it out. Thanks to all that helped.
Darryl Daggs
post #11 of 12 Old May 30th, 2007, 2:56 pm

XM Radio

Here is where I mounted my XM radio. I can see it real good and change stations easily.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	12075  

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old May 30th, 2007, 5:59 pm

Quote:
OK im satellite radio bound , now how do I hook the thing up..... It comes with a car kit but its going on my bike i may use the car kit for my ......you guessed it CAR! Cyclegadgets has a complete pkg- radio holder for clutch or brake with built in antenna , 5v hard wire power supply(no cig cord) , direct fm adapter for clear audio , and of course a rain cover. All of that for about 100$. But ya still have to hook it up So advice advice advice step by step pic by pic or hey maybe if you live close to me (Bristol ,TN) I could feed ya. My brother and I do run a small catering service(Good Times BBQ)
chopped pork , ribs and chicken with all the fixins. Anyway all help I could get would be appreciated.
I use it in the glove box. I installed aux in cable and use Boostaroo amp. I put the antenna on my Z-technick rear rack.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in