Idle noise of LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 14th, 2007, 11:43 pm Thread Starter

Idle noise of LT

I recently purchased a 2005 K1200LT with 7800 miles and was just wondering if the bikes normally have a rumble noise when at idle. It sorta sounds like there is a box of rocks rumbling around in there. Raise the rpms a couple hundred and the noise is gone. Wanna get any problems resolved before the warranty expires!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 14th, 2007, 11:49 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipI
I recently purchased a 2005 K1200LT with 7800 miles and was just wondering if the bikes normally have a rumble noise when at idle. It sorta sounds like there is a box of rocks rumbling around in there. Raise the rpms a couple hundred and the noise is gone. Wanna get any problems resolved before the warranty expires!

Thanks!
The bike has a single plate dry clutch. It's normal noise. Pull in the clutch lever and it goes away...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old May 15th, 2007, 4:42 am

Quote:

Thanks!
When I bought my '05 LT about 18 months ago I asked the same question .... response I got was yes that is the normal sound.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!

post #4 of 10 Old May 15th, 2007, 5:17 am

Normal

My 2005 rattles at idle too. Some of my noise comes from the lower fairing just in front of the radiator. While its idling I'm able to grab the lower portion of the fairing and the rattle goes away or rev the motor and it goes away. Havent found a way to keep it from rattling, but I gotten used to it and probably would think something was wrong if it didnt make noise

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #5 of 10 Old May 15th, 2007, 6:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Foam to quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim
My 2005 rattles at idle too. Some of my noise comes from the lower fairing just in front of the radiator. While its idling I'm able to grab the lower portion of the fairing and the rattle goes away or rev the motor and it goes away. Havent found a way to keep it from rattling, but I gotten used to it and probably would think something was wrong if it didnt make noise
I "wedged" a strip of foam rubber about this thick [ ] and long about a half inch deep where the two plastic pieces meet. That's where I found a rattle.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 10 Old May 15th, 2007, 6:49 am

Good idea Jer. (one of those "why didnt I think of that" moments)

I have some door isulating foam with a sticky back that will probably fit in there nicely. I will give that a try.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #7 of 10 Old May 15th, 2007, 7:07 am

K bike rattle

Quote:

Thanks!
People have attributed this rattle to the clutch or the alternator (assuming it is not fairing plastic or a exhaust manifold stud loose or broken.

I looked into this extensively when I first got my 2000. (Note that this rattle varies from bike to bike, some very noticeable, others don't seem to rattle at all.

I listened around with a mechanic's stethoscope with the plastic off, discussed the issue with an experienced BMW service tech and studied the engine design.

Another test for this rattle is to slip the clutch out a little while hold the brakes; this will load the drive line. Helical cut gears at the crankshaft and intermediate shaft result in axial movement of the shafts back and forth when the drive line is unloaded resulting in the "rocks in a can" rattle. By loading the drive line, the axial oscillation of the shafts stops and the rattle goes away. Shims are installed to limit axial movement of the shaft and depending on how much end place there is in any particular bike determines how much rattle you have. Assuming the engine was assembled with endplay within specified limits, those engines with end play at the larger limit of specified end play will rattle more than those shimmed to the minimal limit of end play.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it

The rattle is normal, characteristic of the engine, and not to be worried about.
post #8 of 10 Old May 15th, 2007, 8:03 am

Alternator, I know this because when I turn on and off my Hella lights, the rattle changes.
post #9 of 10 Old May 15th, 2007, 5:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNEYM
Alternator, I know this because when I turn on and off my Hella lights, the rattle changes.
That is because you change the loading on the helical cut gears by changing the load on the alternator. CharlieVT hit the nail on the head on this one.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 10 Old May 15th, 2007, 5:30 pm

K bike rattle

Main point here is for Skip, the rattle you're are hearing is probably normal. It goes way when you increase RPMs, when you let out the clutch, and when you turn on your Hella lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNEYM
What was that proverb about the blind men and the elephant? They guy holding the tail says an elephant is like a rope, and the guy feeling the leg says an elephant is like a tree.
Any alternator that is rattling probably isn't long for this world. Two bearings, stator, rotor, field coils, diodes... none of that should rattle. However the drive train that powers the alternator could make noise. Hmmm, power is coming from the engine drive train, so increased load on the alternator (e.g. Hella lights) puts more load on the engine drive train and quiets the rattle. The rattle occurs at low engine RPMs and under no load conditons. So that's why people think the alternator rattles; the rattle ceases when the alternator is loaded. Actually what you are quieting is drive train noise.

That's my theory, and I'm still sticking too it.

And it is an annoying rattle, my bike sound like a shaking metal pail full of rocks when idling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in