Gas Gauge Problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 14th, 2007, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Question Gas Gauge Problems

I overfilled the pig and ended up with a bent fuel sender tube. I took it off and pulled it out and the spring at the bottom fell off and I had to fish it out.
The tube came off and I ran a tool that just fit through the tube to straighten it out. That worked.
I couldn't find the nut that held it all together and took a little JB Weld and coated the treads and put it all back together. Four hours later the JB weld solid and I tried it out before I put it back in. Worked great.
I turned it upside down and the gauge showed full. I flipped it back to the right side up and the gauge fell back to empty and the low fuel light came on.
Well I put it all back together and put a couple of gallons of gas in and still shows empty.

Any thoughts?

I'm going to take the hide off of her tomorrow night. I have a two week trip that starts Saturday and sure would hate to do it like a Harley with no fuel gauge.

Help!!

Lewis

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

Naturlized Texan after 34 years 'In State'.
BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
Corvette National Museum Life Member 941
ARRL Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 15th, 2007, 10:05 am
was

Not much in the way of substantive help, I'm afraid, just thinking out loud. You know that the electrical contacts work by turning the gauge upside down, so you have ruled that out as a problem. The Manual indicates that "The immersion-tube sensor has to be calibrated if it or the fuel tank has been replaced. Calibration allows the reserve fuel capacity of the fuel tank to be adjusted to suit customer preferences." (p. 16.8) You didn't replace your sender tube, but removing it may produce the same result. This requires a trip to the dealer and hookup to the Moditec. I do not know if this is a "must do" procedure, or if it only needs to be done if you want to calibrate in the "reserve" amount of fuel.
Sender tubes get bent in one of two ways that I've read about (there may be many more that I haven't read): vacuum in the fuel tank causing the sides to collapse inward, bending the tube, or pushing a gas nozzle too far down and to the center of the bike, hitting the tube. Have you noticed a sucking sound as you unscrewed the gas cap? If so, you likely have a vacuum condition, and it may have bent the tube again. Do you still have the charcoal cannister? I'm not sure if it is possible to "overfill" the bike and have gas sucked back to the cannister (or be blocking the line from the cannister to the tank), but if you have a vacuum in the tank it is likely from a blocked line to the cannister, a sludge filled cannister, or a blocked open air line from the cannister to the rear of the bike. You'll have to find it and fix it or the tube will continue to get bent.
If your sender tube is straight I'm out of ideas. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 8 Old May 15th, 2007, 11:39 am Thread Starter

The vacumm canister is unhooked. And I got the tube straight. I took the plastic off last night and I'll get the sender out tonight. If it doesn't work this time, I'll take the one off the other older bike and see if I can get it working. I don't have time to wait for the dealer, so if it shows a different level than the current sensor, I just have to live with it.

Thanks

Lewis

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
ARRL Life Member

post #4 of 8 Old May 15th, 2007, 5:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I don't know what kind of float this unit uses but I chased an MGB fuel sender that worked out side the tank but not in. Turned out the hollow plastc float was full of gas so it wouldn't "float". Could have a similar problem.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old May 15th, 2007, 7:38 pm

I dont hardly look at mine, the onboard computer is much more accurate...so far
post #6 of 8 Old May 15th, 2007, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaboots
I dont hardly look at mine, the onboard computer is much more accurate...so far
My computer has told me that I had around 135 miles to empty for weeks. I have it working now. I pulled the one out of the older LT. I will just get a new one when I get back from the Arctic. We leave for Alaska Saturday.

Lewis

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
ARRL Life Member
post #7 of 8 Old May 15th, 2007, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I don't know what kind of float this unit uses but I chased an MGB fuel sender that worked out side the tank but not in. Turned out the hollow plastc float was full of gas so it wouldn't "float". Could have a similar problem.
That may be it. I swapped it out this evening.

Thanks

Lewis

Wish I could spell or at least remember to start out on the home keys.

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
ARRL Life Member

Last edited by km5bh; May 15th, 2007 at 8:48 pm.
post #8 of 8 Old May 15th, 2007, 9:42 pm

didnt think about the computer and gas gage talking to one another...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in