Thinking of Selling My 2006 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old May 14th, 2007, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Thinking of Selling My 2006 LT

The wife decided she doesn't want to ride and I'm thinking of going to a lighter bike like the 1200RT. I have 2K on the odometer. I'm anxious to hear from any of you re the LT vs. RT. Also what do you think is a fair price to ask for the LT.

Thanks.

Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old May 14th, 2007, 8:14 pm

I ride solo almost all of the time. I had a 2002 R1150RT in my garage for over a year (my friends) and my 2003 LT. I preferred to ride the LT. The only time I rode the RT was to charge the battery up.

Everyone is different... I missed the creature comforts on the RT, and I found it to be less comfortable. I don't know how the 1200RT would compare.
post #3 of 27 Old May 14th, 2007, 8:57 pm

35,000 miles on my 05, about 200 with my wife on it.

post #4 of 27 Old May 14th, 2007, 9:45 pm

I would not trade my LT for an RT and I ride one up. I took the top box off and that helps with the weight and also looks great.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #5 of 27 Old May 14th, 2007, 11:18 pm

I had an 02 LTC - good bike but a tad nervous at low speed. Though I never dropped it I felt close a couple times so, as I work in a dealership the switch to an RT - 2005 - was easy and not costly. I ride solo mostly.

269 lbs lighter than the LT and at 571 lbs and 110 hp the RT has a more favorable power to weight ratio. I liked the bike and easily recommend one based on 2 years ownership and lots of miles. It is agile and covers ground well.

I'm back on an LT because once experienced it is hard to give up the comfort and all else an LT brings to long road miles. The changes introduced in 2005 resolved the low speed worries so I'm content to wait for whatever BMW replaces the current bike with (and no, I do not have inside info on what that will be ).

Fuel economy is about the same between the bikes with the RT maybe a bit more thrifty and service costs are less with the RT. Bottom line make sure your test ride is a long one on familiar roads if you can arrange it.

Cheers,
post #6 of 27 Old May 14th, 2007, 11:18 pm

I had an 03 LTC - good bike but a tad nervous at low speed. Though I never dropped it I felt close a couple times so, as I work in a dealership the switch to an RT - 2005 - was easy and not costly. I ride solo mostly.

269 lbs lighter than the LT and at 571 lbs and 110 hp the RT has a more favorable power to weight ratio. I liked the bike and easily recommend one based on 2 years ownership and lots of miles. It is agile and covers ground well.

I'm back on an LT because once experienced it is hard to give up the comfort and all else an LT brings to long road miles. The changes introduced in 2005 resolved the low speed worries so I'm content to wait for whatever BMW replaces the current bike with (and no, I do not have inside info on what that will be ).

Fuel economy is about the same between the bikes with the RT maybe a bit more thrifty and service costs are less with the RT. Bottom line make sure your test ride is a long one on familiar roads if you can arrange it.

Cheers,
post #7 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 2:06 am

I ride 95% of my miles solo, and still prefer the LT. I use it only for trips, and not local running though. My brother has a new RT, and the LT is just much more comfortable on distances.
post #8 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 2:59 am

Everyone has a different take on it, but for me the extra weight actually adds stability on the long road and I quickly got used to it. The LT is my favorite two up and long distance bike. I also enjoy using it for work because of the storage capacity and protection. I was going to get an RT for for solo riding but ended up going with the GS because it was so much more hat said I really enjoy the GS/GSA. For me I have the best of both worlds, the LT and the GS, a bike for whatever need's demand. I'm not sure what kind of riding you do, but I am glad I held on to my LT and got the second bike that was so different. If I were to do it all over again I would of gotten an older GS or GSA, you can get a lot of bike for a little money that way. I went riding with some friends with their dialed on older bikes and quickly realized that my new 07' had nothing on the older models. Anyway get what you can afford and what fits your riding styles. If that means getting two bikes that are a few years old, so be it. I bet you'll be really happy and won't be missing a thing over the newer bikes except the payments! good luck ~dk

Oh, and since you're close by, let me know if you want to go riding!
post #9 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 9:12 am

I got the LT so the both of us could be comphy. Most of my ridding is solo and about the only time my wife rides with me is to go on a trip. I still like the LT even just running through town.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 10:00 am Thread Starter

I love the LT but I am sick of worrying everytime I back it out of a parking place. One wrong move and it will go over.

I do a lot of winter riging and the LT is fabulous for wind resistance. It seems to be from the 2 foldong wings. Does the RT subject the rider to significantly increased wind on the legs?
post #11 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
I love the LT but I am sick of worrying everytime I back it out of a parking place. One wrong move and it will go over.
This complaint most often comes from riders that have shorter legs. The LT has a pretty high saddle, and it can make you feel pretty vulnerable if you can't plant your feet firmly on the ground. If you fit that profile, you might want to consider getting the lower seat.
post #12 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 1:25 pm

Never saw the money

Billy,

Did you ever get an answer for the value of your 2006 with 2000 miles? I am in Houston, TX. and am in the same situation. My wife doesn't want too ride anymore and with all of our other activities I think it's time to sell. I have five other bikes so the sport is not lost. I also have a 2006 dark grey with GPS and chrome top rack. Is anyone in Houston interested. It also has around 2000 miles on it, just purchased 3/15/07 brand new.
post #13 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 4:56 pm

Every RT I have ridden needs a seat adjustment. I slide forward regardless of how the seat height adj is set. Sliding forward gets old fast! I've passed on buying an RT for that reason. Last one I rode was an 05. I put about 30 miles on it. That was enough. Maybe the new ones are better. I know seat comfort is a highly personal matter, yet I know this to be a common complaint not just with the RT but throughout the BMW line. My 01 LT box stock right from the factory seat is the first BMW seat that I didn't have to replace. Apparently, with changes in recent years to the LT's seat, it will be the last.
The RT is a great bike, and the seat problem, if it is a problem for you, can be fixed for a price. Just be aware that it might not show itself in a 5 mile test ride.
post #14 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

Just rode the RT and didn't like it very much. I liked the lighter weight but the LT is much more comfortable. I'll probably get an aftermarket seat and stick with the LT for now. As far as what it is worth, they will give me 15,700 on a trade and that would translate to 17,500 retail.
post #15 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 5:35 pm

As one who has handled both big boat trailers and big horse trailers, the secret is not to put yourself in a position that you have to back the beast up.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #16 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman858
As one who has handled both big boat trailers and big horse trailers, the secret is not to put yourself in a position that you have to back the beast up.
I thought that was why we had reverse??? I don't use mine very much, but a few times I was sure glad I had it.
post #17 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 7:29 pm

Talking

Hey Billy, i have done allot of thinkin...i will give you my 03' and $500.00 cash money for that sorry ol' 06...hmmm?
post #18 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 7:50 pm

LT vs RT

Billy,

That is a tough question to answer. I have both a 2005 K1200LT and a 1999 R1100RT. There really different bikes, for different type of rides. I like them both for there individual traits. Right now, would not want to give up either of them, even though there is at least 6 bikes in the garage.

Mirage
post #19 of 27 Old May 15th, 2007, 8:48 pm

I have an 02 LT with 121,000 + miles on it and I enjoy riding it. About 80% of my riding is solo. I've gotten used to the weight, tho I still can't pick it up when I drop it (4 times in 5 years). The only thing I really don't like is the cost of upkeep. Just brought my bike in for a main seal leak!!! And I'm due for a set of shocks too, tho I am putting that off for as long as I can.

Tommy
02 K12 LT - 251,000 Miles and counting
442,000+ BMW Miles and counting
post #20 of 27 Old May 16th, 2007, 12:13 am

If you are looking at selling your bike take a look at the classifieds on this site, that should give you a pretty good idea what a used bike is going for.
post #21 of 27 Old May 16th, 2007, 5:14 am

2005 resolved the low speed worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided
The changes introduced in 2005 resolved the low speed worries

Cheers,
Is there a significant difference and how did they do that ?
post #22 of 27 Old May 27th, 2007, 12:20 am

Billy,

Two years ago, I bought a 2003 LTC w/ 1800 miles on it. Riding across country, the LT was wonderful. Itís amazing how well that machine handled the curves coming down Hwy 7 in Arkansas, two-up and loaded. Smooth, powerful, comfortable, no fear of passing trucks on the Interstate....it was all good, until I had to slow down to park. Then my anxiety level rose higher than the national debt.

Loved the bike, and didn't mind that it was heavy, but HATED the feeling that it was so top heavy. At very low speed, there's not much room for error. DO NOT touch that servo assisted front brake on a slight incline with the front wheel turned even a little bit! The bike will roll forward off the side stand in neutral on a slight downward incline. Woe unto you, should your foot slide beneath you on pea gravel as you gently maneuver the battleship for exit out of the harbor. After I dropped (eased her down gently) three times in the year I had her, the last time straining my back pretty badly, I decided I would swallow my pride, admit I hadn't the skill yet to handle this machine, and down size.

The logical choice would be the RT. Several would debate that, I'm sure, but I was looking for the LT's little brother and the pre-2005 RT seemed to be the closest thing I could find. So I regretfully sold my LT and bought a 2000 R1100RT. It had bar backs and a Corbin seat. Felt like a featherweight after being on the LT. I could do things at low speed with the RT that I would not even attempt with the LT. I could more easily handle the weight of this bike. The 1100 surged noticably and tended to pull right so I sold it and bought a 2004 R1150RT. Very good bike.

I say all this to say I still miss the LT. Even though I can handle the RT much better than the LT and itís clearly more suited to my riding ability and confidence level, I have never been as comfortable on it as I was with the LT. I miss the cruise control, the riding position, the smooth power. The RT sets a little more forward than I like. I have added bar backs, tried several seats and seat mods, looking at trying to move the pegs forward someÖ.all just to emulate the comfortable riding posture of the LT.

So thatís where I am. Not entirely satisfied with the RT, but I dread the thought of struggling with the weight of the LT again. Wish I could figure out how to trim about 100-125 lbs off the LT, especially from the top half. It would be perfect for me.

Ron

Last edited by captron4601; May 27th, 2007 at 12:27 am.
post #23 of 27 Old May 27th, 2007, 3:24 am

Almost 50 lbs off the top by removing the top box.
post #24 of 27 Old May 27th, 2007, 5:51 am

Ride both

I ride an RT at work and LT off duty. I feel that both to me weight the same and like some stated, don't put yourself in that position. Hands down I love my LT with the wife or without the wife. The LT has the weather protection, smoothier and has all the bells whistles. Radio and you can get the inter com etc..........
post #25 of 27 Old May 27th, 2007, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

Removed the top box and love it. Gigantic difference. I'm keeping it.
post #26 of 27 Old May 27th, 2007, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Removed the top box and love it. Gigantic difference. I'm keeping it.
Sweet. Look for a Fort Worth Rack or something similar to dress the back end up and you're in business.

I was going to do the same but Teresa would shoot me so I had to buy myself a bike. ~Cheers!
post #27 of 27 Old May 27th, 2007, 6:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
I ride an RT at work and LT off duty. I feel that both to me weight the same and like some stated, don't put yourself in that position. Hands down I love my LT with the wife or without the wife. The LT has the weather protection, smoothier and has all the bells whistles. Radio and you can get the inter com etc..........
Maybe so, John, but the RT has reds/blues, radar, and a citation book. Man, I miss those days!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in