'01 K1200LT burning E-85 Ethanol-Successfully! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 14th, 2007, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Smile '01 K1200LT burning E-85 Ethanol-Successfully!

WELL, my '01 BMW K1200LT @ 24,xxx miles loves a full diet of E-85 Ethanol. The OEM ECU is sophisticated
enough to adjust, on its own, for differing concentrations
of Ethanol in the fuel tank. No aftermarket conversiom kit appears to be necessary.

I started with a mix of 1.5gal. of E-85/4.5 gal. 92 octane unleaded. No check engine lite, no starting or engine stumbling at idle problems.

When I burned that 'load' down, I increased the proportions to 3.0 gal. E-85/3.0 gal. 92 octane. Still no CEL, leaks or adverse engine power or idleing problems.
Fri., with a full tank of E-85, I made a 120 mile run to ABQ & back, (7,000' msl down to 5,000' msl and back up to 7,000'), at 78mph with NO PROBLEMS or ANY adverse engine indications, other than that the coolant temp. ran 15F-20F cooler than it normally does at 75F OAT,
(if you want to consider that an adverse indication).

[Ethanol burns cooler, cleaner and more efficiently than unleaded gas.]
On the return trip to Santa Fe, I was able to climb La Bajada ('The Hill') starting at 78 mph with the cruise control engaged. It never disengaged on the 8%+ slope and I only lost 2 mph on the 2 mile run. This has NEVER
happened before. The speed loss always exceeded 10 mph and the cruise control always disconnected.

As soon as I can sked a Dyno run I'll be able to record some 'after' E-85 Power, Torque and Air/Fuel mixture data. Then I'll switch back to 92 octane gas and record some 'before' data. I'll keep you all posted.

When I hit 1,xxx miles on E-85 I'll pull the fuel filter to see how dirty my tank was 'before' and I will also check the injectors for any adverse indications.
Its going to be tough to change back to 92 octane at $3.49/gal. while E-85 runs from $ 2.98/gal. to $3.15. At these prices I may just opt to run E-85 from now on and wonder what the 'before' Data is like.

Why E-85 Ethanol ? Because its "HERE, NOW" !
(and 85% of it is NOT from imported oil;
AND, now its cost effective !)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 14th, 2007, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

Smile BTW, my '98 F-150 FFV Conversion is very SUCCESSFUL

After over 4,xxx miles on an exclusive diet of E-85 my '98 F-150 4.2L V-6 FFV BiFuel Ethanol/Gas Conversion is very SUCCESSFUL also !

No problems or leaks of any kind.

Why ? Because E-85 Ethanol is HERE, NOW ! ! !

And, its becoming more cost effective every month.
post #3 of 13 Old May 14th, 2007, 8:03 pm

Not advised:
From http://iaspub.epa.gov/srs/srs_proc_q..._SUB_ID=471383 .
Will I hurt a gasoline-only vehicle if I use E85?
Yes. Longer-term use of E85 in gasoline-only vehicles may cause damage because of the incompatibility of the alcohol fuel with the parts in gasoline-only engines. Performance and emissions will also be compromised.

From http://www.epa.gov/smartway/growandg...tsheet-e85.htm .
E85 cannot be used in a conventional, gasoline-only engine. Vehicles must be specially designed to run on it. The only vehicles currently available to U.S. drivers are known as flex fuel vehicles (FFVs), because they can run on E85, gasoline, or any blend of the two. Much like diesel fuel, E85 is available at specially-marked fueling pumps. Today, nearly 700 fueling stations offer it.

E85 has only 75% of the fuel economy of gasoline. E85 would have to go down to $2.62 a gallon to break even.

post #4 of 13 Old May 14th, 2007, 8:10 pm

I understand BMW says that burning Ethanol voids the warranty.................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old May 14th, 2007, 9:58 pm

Daddy always told me to stay off the corn whiskey...

Seriously; E-85 damage shows up later, not sooner. You must have an FFV to burn it.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 13 Old May 14th, 2007, 11:22 pm

It's fer drinkin, not burnin', dang nabbit! Of course if you break down, you'll only need ice...

Glad it's working for you and your vehicles...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 13 Old May 15th, 2007, 2:16 am

Just wondering why even risk it. Corn is all of a sudden sky high because of all the ethanol refineries popping up. Have read at least a hundred under construction now. Ethanol is already not as efficient as gasoline per gallon, and the price is going to do nothing but go up. Corn is not the answer, politicians just wanted it for the farm vote.
post #8 of 13 Old May 15th, 2007, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost55
Just wondering why even risk it. Corn is all of a sudden sky high because of all the ethanol refineries popping up. Have read at least a hundred under construction now. Ethanol is already not as efficient as gasoline per gallon, and the price is going to do nothing but go up. Corn is not the answer, politicians just wanted it for the farm vote.
what he said +1... our nations 1920's technology cars are are not only altering the climate... now everyone thinks burning food in these engines is the answer when millions on the planet are starving to death.

scary to think the first putters Henry Ford put out got 25 miles per gallon and the average US made car today gets about the same.

exit soapbox now.
post #9 of 13 Old May 15th, 2007, 9:16 am

So what would happen if you just run a tank of E-85 every now and then but mostly stay on the unleaded? Any damage?
Not a big worry for me because there are no E-85 pumps in my area but if I get outta this town and find a pump on the road, I might be interested.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 13 Old May 15th, 2007, 9:28 am

Just listened to some environmentalist the other day explain how it takes a gallon and a quarter of gas to produce a gallon of ethanol. Not sure if there is any truth in that, but would like to find out...

Kirk

'09 K12LT 'Under Warranty' (34k+)
'08 K12LT the 'Hearse' 30K(traded)
'05 R12GS 'Ride 'n Dirty' 40K(traded)
'05 K12LT 'Magic Carpet Ride' 48K (traded for '08)
'05 K12S 'Sweet Emotion' 3K (traded in order to stay alive)
'00 R12C 'Bare Bones' 15K (sold)
post #11 of 13 Old May 15th, 2007, 1:26 pm

One thing I have heard is that the ethanol is hard on the parts!! Meaning the inner parts of the engine, and lines, etc, and that using E-85 in a vehicle not designed for it will cause all kinds of problems down the road. I am not going to use it in my bike, except maybe in an emergency. I guess you can do whatever you want with your bike, but I don't have the kind of money I need to take that risk. Just my opinion.
post #12 of 13 Old May 15th, 2007, 1:53 pm

How Do You Measure Success?

Two or three tanks of E-85 is not a measure of success. Run E-85 only for 25,000 miles and then tear down your engine and measure everything, including gaskets and rubber parts and let us know the results versus an identical engine run on gasoline for the same number of miles under the same conditions.

Meanwhile, I'll just rely on the opinions of the engineers who designed and built the thing and continue to burn gasoline in my LT.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #13 of 13 Old May 15th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitreal_k
Just listened to some environmentalist the other day explain how it takes a gallon and a quarter of gas to produce a gallon of ethanol. Not sure if there is any truth in that, but would like to find out...

Kirk
Kirk,
I believe there have been several studies done on this exact topic. I am not sure where a person would find these studies. Consumer Reports did a milage / cost comparison a couple of months ago and Ethanol did not cash flow.

Another problem is transporting the ethanol. This problem not being discussed is that most of the oil refineries are located next to the Gulf Coast and most of the ethanol plants are in the mid-west. There are no pipe lines available so it all has to be either trucked or shipped by rail. At 8,500 gallons per truck that is a lot of trucks.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

Last edited by bigbear; May 15th, 2007 at 4:26 pm. Reason: typos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in