BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Newbie questions

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  WPNorton 
#1 ·
well I have had my 06 now for a full day, got the tires scrubbed in and now I am looking at my farkles laying on the bench and thinking how I am going to attach them.
A couple things concern me and I have checked the faq's and really couldnt find anything that addresses these. The bike was delivered with a mount and I guess the cable harness for the GPS, the cable ends stick up and out in front of the radio controls but they are not SPIII cables must be the newer version, question-where do these cables terminate? Only had the bike a day and not ready to pull the side panels yet.
Second question and I have seen it reference somewhere on here. I have an original roady and would like to know how some of you have installed yours. I stopped by best buy today and looked at the fm modulator that goes in series with the bikes antenna but the sales guy said I would need a BMW specific cable interface to make this work. True/False?
Oh one more question. I will be initially using my old Eurocomm for my intercom needs, where on the LT is the best place to grab the audio, front speakersr/rear speakers or someplace else.
Sorry this is so long but it could really save me some time when it comes time to pull the panels.

#2 ·
Hope you are enjoying the new ride. I have a 2001 and the best place I found to attach the the intercom was under the rear seat. If you remove the rear seat, you will see a barrel shaped connector all of the way toward the rear and parallel to the rear. This connector has the speaker wires and audio control wires. Assuming the wiring harness is the same as my 2001, here are the colors.

Rear Left: Positive – Yellow with blue stripe; Negative – yellow
Rear Right: Positive – Blue with red stripe; Negative – Blue

When I tapped into the wires, I put a Molex connector inline so I can connect to either the rear speakers or the intercom. I fade the stereo all of the way to the rear for sound only over the intercom.

Welcome to the group.

#3 ·
Great!! That is pretty much how I invisoned it. I can figure out the color coding if they changed it but I didnt think about putting in a connector I was just planning on tapping into the wires. Makes sense though, then I wouldnt be entertaining the world around me with the rear speakers blasting away and the intercom at the same time.
Tks

#5 ·
My Roady 2 has an FM modulator built in. Is this a Roady without the built in modulator? Incidently the fidelity isn't that great. I am working on a wired in option.

#6 ·
Thanks guys,
I was sorta surprised when I was told I needed another interface. I currently have the original roady not the "2" and I was not impressed using the modulator on my xcross country trips, just to many stations using the limited freqs and many overpowering the roady signal. I am curious about Garmins new 2730 gps that has the xm radio imbedded especially since I have this stupid motorad gps mount stuck in my bike. Going to have to research this further. Thanks again at least I can get my lil roady going temporarily.

#9 ·
FredR said:
I am curious about Garmins new 2730 gps that has the xm radio imbedded especially since I have this stupid motorad gps mount stuck in my bike. Going to have to research this further.
I feel your pain.

My '06 came with an unwanted "GPS-prep" mounted, and I had to pay the stealer $200 to remove the thing. I don't think I'll ever have any need for GPS on the LT, and, of course, I paid for the "prep" in the purchase price, and, again, to get it removed. Bummer.

Ain't life great?

#10 ·
You could have kept the GPS mount, then traded it to someone here who didn't get one but wanted it. Just a thought.

#13 ·
FredR said:
Great!! That is pretty much how I invisoned it. I can figure out the color coding if they changed it but I didnt think about putting in a connector I was just planning on tapping into the wires. Makes sense though, then I wouldnt be entertaining the world around me with the rear speakers blasting away and the intercom at the same time.
Tks
I found that with my helmet speakers properly installed, I could hear so well, at such a low volume, that the big speakers were inaudible. YMMV

#14 ·
CriticalMass said:
I feel your pain.

My '06 came with an unwanted "GPS-prep" mounted, and I had to pay the stealer $200 to remove the thing. I don't think I'll ever have any need for GPS on the LT, and, of course, I paid for the "prep" in the purchase price, and, again, to get it removed. Bummer.

Ain't life great?
After they removed the mount did it leave any evidence that it was there, ie. holes etc...

#15 ·
meese said:
Put it up in the Classifieds board. Maybe someone can use it.
Actually, with the amount I have invested in it already, I thought I'd keep it in case I ever decide to put a GPS on the bike.

FredR said:
After they removed the mount did it leave any evidence that it was there, ie. holes etc...
No holes. There was a new '05 on the floor when I bought mine, and it had a very small BMW roundel there, maybe 1/2" or so diameter. When I took the bike in for the 600 mile service and asked them to remove the mount, I envisioned they would cover the hole on top of the radio cover with one like that one.

Instead, they put a much larger 2 3/8" roundel there to cover the cable hole, so I guess it's a bigger hole than I thought. It doesn't look out of place, though. I kind of like it, and I bet I won't see too many other LT's with this "appearance feature" ;).

#16 ·
As a newbie, I wish to ask the BMWLT community one question:

Background: My new 2009 LT has the BMW GPS installed on a mount located on top of the gas tank. When purchased, I declined the BMW GPS unit, therfore, the dealer took off the BMW GPS unit but left the mount with two cable-ends hanging out around the mount (as an indication of GPS capacity is installed and ready).

Question : What are other available GPS units on the market (beside the BMW Garmin) can be fitted on this LT mount and its two cable-ends? (one for power and one for the speaker or antena?)

Thank you for your advices,

Anhhuyvy

#17 ·
anhhuyvy said:
As a newbie, I wish to ask the BMWLT community one question:

Background: My new 2009 LT has the BMW GPS installed on a mount located on top of the gas tank. When purchased, I declined the BMW GPS unit, therfore, the dealer took off the BMW GPS unit but left the mount with two cable-ends hanging out around the mount (as an indication of GPS capacity is installed and ready).

Question : What are other available GPS units on the market (beside the BMW Garmin) can be fitted on this LT mount and its two cable-ends? (one for power and one for the speaker or antena?)

Thank you for your advices,

Anhhuyvy
There are many you can use...I have the Garmin Zumo 450 mounted on the same mount you are talking about..But i had to rewire it...took about 30 minutes of labor to do it.....mostly running the wires to the Fuse box took the time....but very easy to do also the Garmin 550 will fit that bracket i am not sure which other units will work with that bracket but i am sure the other members will chime in to help....

#19 ·
The two wires are specifically made for the BMW Nav II or Nav III. You will need to rewire to use the Garmin.

#20 ·
I thought that the 2009 GPS was the BMW version of the Garmin Zumo 550? If it is, then the OEM wires should be compatible with the Zumo.

#21 ·
Thank you WOODEY, CAPTAINE, and GLENNM86 for your attentions.

When GlennM86 mentioned about "OEM cables", I assume that the existing two-end cables hanging out of the mount. If the BMW GPS unit on the 2009 LT is a compatible version with the Zumo 550, then I am a happy...newbie.

Since GlennM86 stated: "I thought that the 2009 GPS was the BMW version of the Garmin Zumo 550? ", I wish to receive more information from GlennM86 or other members on this matter to confirm GlennM86's statement before ordering the Zumo 550.

I appreciate your time.

Anhhuyvy

#22 ·
Anhhuyvy

I went to my local dealer today to look at the 2009 cables.
They are not the same as a Zumo. Sorry if I mislead you. It was not intentional. I thought they sold the "zumo equivalent".

Glenn

#23 ·
Hello Glenn, hello BMWLT members,

You did not mislead me at all Glenn. Your checking with the dealer has confirmed me that the ZUMO 550 may not match with the existing cable on the 09 LT. I do appreciate your time and your attention.

Now, if I go to a BMW motorcycle dealer (which I did), they would tell me to buy the BMW GPS unit to fit the GPS ready on the 09 LT for around $1300. If I go to a Garmin GPS store, they would tell me that they only sell GPS (as good as the BMW Garmin for around $550)but they do not know about the mount base or the wiring on the 09 LT.

I hope that some BMWLT member(s) will advise me further on this matter so that I can find a Garmin GPS unit that will fit the existing mount and cable-ends on the 09 LT.

Thank you

Anhhuyvy

#24 ·
Save the money, buy it from the Garmin GPS store and see if it fits. If not return it.

You may save time and aggravation by trying it with a store clerk BEFORE you buy it (if it don't fit, you're just going to return it anyway).

#26 ·
FredR said:
Thanks guys,
I was sorta surprised when I was told I needed another interface. I currently have the original roady not the "2" and I was not impressed using the modulator on my xcross country trips, just to many stations using the limited freqs and many overpowering the roady signal. I am curious about Garmins new 2730 gps that has the xm radio imbedded especially since I have this stupid motorad gps mount stuck in my bike. Going to have to research this further. Thanks again at least I can get my lil roady going temporarily.
I had the original BMW Nav I on my 05 and upgraded to Garmin's 2820 for the XM capability plus blue tooth. Your current mount & wiring harness will work with the 2730 and/or the 2820 will work. If you need the cradle which attaches to your mount and holds the GPS in place - they are available for less then $20. Good deals on both the 2730 & 2820 @getfeetwet.com.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.