Help, radio flashing "no Radio" - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 11th, 2005, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

Help, radio flashing "no Radio"

My radio has been working fine for forever. Now today when I turn it on the power comes on, I can here my XM radio playing through the FM modulator on the predefined station, but the radio screen stays blank for 20 seconds or so then flashes "No Radio". I cannot change stations or change devices, i.e. tape or CD changer. I have made no changes to the system in the last few days although I am in the process of trying to get the Dension Ipod setup to work. I have removed the CD Changer and installed the Ipod cradle and cables, but I have not done anything to that system for several days now. Incidently it has not worked properly and I am waiting for the docking cable I need for my Ipod Photo (apparently the cradle doesn't work with this model Ipod). There has been no water on the bike during this time. I did disconnect the battery two weeks ago, but I've ridden the bike almost everyday for the past two weeks. I was hoping to get some insight before I started removing panels. Thanks.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 11th, 2005, 9:31 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwagner
My radio has been working fine for forever. Now today when I turn it on the power comes on, I can here my XM radio playing through the FM modulator on the predefined station, but the radio screen stays blank for 20 seconds or so then flashes "No Radio". I cannot change stations or change devices, i.e. tape or CD changer. I have made no changes to the system in the last few days although I am in the process of trying to get the Dension Ipod setup to work. I have removed the CD Changer and installed the Ipod cradle and cables, but I have not done anything to that system for several days now. Incidently it has not worked properly and I am waiting for the docking cable I need for my Ipod Photo (apparently the cradle doesn't work with this model Ipod). There has been no water on the bike during this time. I did disconnect the battery two weeks ago, but I've ridden the bike almost everyday for the past two weeks. I was hoping to get some insight before I started removing panels. Thanks.

Does it work when you hook the CD changer back up?
If so There might be a problem with the harness at the Cradle

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Nov 11th, 2005, 9:48 pm

Peter - I got no idea why this works, butt I hear folks saying that it does --- disconnect the battery, wait a leetle bit, then re-connect it. Then try the radio again and see if it operates normally. If that doesn't do it, then I hope one of the audio/elec gurus around here wades in to help ya.

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 11th, 2005, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

I will try both of those ideas. Thanks for the input.
Incidently the BMW Comm system works fine.

post #5 of 10 Old Nov 11th, 2005, 11:14 pm

Peter-

My 2005 LT did this day one before I got it off the lot.
They "reset" the controller and it worked for a 2 hours and quit again.

I also had the display show "no radio" and nothing else worked on it, cd, radio, etc. Battery disconnect did not work either.

They ended up replacing the radio/cd unit under the 'stingray' under warranty. Some others have posted recently on the cost of the radio out of warranty.

Dave Allen
Birmingham, AL
2005 K1200LT
2005 330 CIC
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 11th, 2005, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

Hope I don't have to replace the radio. That would be a bummer.

post #7 of 10 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 7:46 am

Same thing happened to my 05 last week.
Disconnected the battery for a while, and after re-connecting, radio started working again.
Same thing happened AGAIN this weekend, and as this time, doing the battery thing did not solve the problem, the bike is at the dealer for them to solve the problem.
Any suggestions about what they will find/do ?.
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:02 am
WAL

My 02 has done this every so often then starts working again. Then about a month ago I had it in for the 12K and the radio worked for the ride home and has not worked again until I took it for a short ride to do an errand and it worked. Came out from the store and it has not worked since was going to remove the plastic and check for a loose connection but will try the battery disconnect first. Then remove the plastic to install the comm system that I bought off of ebay the last one that I have installed was never completed because the power plug would not plug into the back of the CD player. I have since purchased a newer model comm system but have not tried it yet hope the plug-in will work this time. If anyone has any ideas on what maybe the problem or if there is an adapter that was not sent to me please let me know. I would like to have it working before I leave for the Vt. Rally.
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:24 am

My display showed the 'NO RADIO' also, and nothing worked.

I found a post that showed the 10 amp fuse behind the radio in the Stingray which was blown. After replacing this fuse - no more problem.

Lots of time to take it all apart, but the fix was easy. Hope yours is the same.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 5:32 pm

Question NO RADIO intermittently

Recently my radio has been acting very strangely. It comes on, but sometimes there is no display. Sometimes it looks normal and I can even change stations, change volume etc. but at some point it stops responding. I usually see NO RADIO for a few mins (still hearing audio) and then the radio will just turn off.

I can turn it back on and it will stay on for a while, before I see the NO RADIO again and it turns off.

Prior to this, the radio had the behavior where it just wouldn't turn on at all, both times the battery disconnect did the trick. However, I disconnected the battery 3x this time and the behavior is the same.

Oddly enough, during the same time my electric centerstand has also been acting strangely - won't come down after a ride while idling in N, but if I turn off the ignition and turn it back on again, it comes right down without me moving anything an inch.

The beast is posessed.

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in