K&N Air Filter Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 14th, 2007, 10:24 am Thread Starter

Question K&N Air Filter Question

Sat. morning started out innocent enough, not real good weather so i thought i would traverse around the girl and do some minor service...trans, motoroil etc...one thing led to another and i found myself with little piles of screws and tupperware laying about. I remembered buying a K&N while @ Sierra BMW in Sparks a few weeks ago and decided to go ahead and do that little job while casually familiarizing myself with the new girl. I remembered asking where it was located a few weeks ago and the kind "Deacon" advising just under the gas tank...thought that was an odd place but thinking in past experience with gas tanks not a big deal. Well i got it changed and only have one question remaining, make that two...1; Whos the SADIST that engineered the air cleaner location....and...2; where can i get some of those little clip hootisses for a couple of those ten thousand screws i removed. Some of them seem to have popped off during the tear down probably will find them later in the driveway or during an engine teardown . There, i feel better now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 14th, 2007, 10:53 am

Mark,

Now you know why I always have plenty of Guinness on hand when I worked on the LT. Time, patience, Guinness . . . repeat.

As for the screw clips . . . your local BMW dealer of course.

Keep your chin up partner.
post #3 of 14 Old May 14th, 2007, 12:20 pm

Quote:
where can i get some of those little clip hootisses
Mark,

You may also be able to find them at your local auto parts store. I have been surprised at the little things like that I have been able to find there. Just a thought

How many screws did you have left over? I usually end up with at least two...this last time ended up with four But nothing has fallen off....yet

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old May 14th, 2007, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

Cool

am on with the Guinness and though i usually have parts left over...it seems the beast has eaten some...i am 4 short ...hmmm
post #5 of 14 Old May 14th, 2007, 3:34 pm

K&N & Missing Nuts & Bolts

The pain endured putting the K&N air filter in is worth the bang in performance, been there done that!

If you take a look through eBay there is an outfit in TX that sells a stainless fastener set for the LT. I got one ... it's a lot cheaper and easier to have some spares about than to be dashing down to the hardware store or ordering from a dealer.
post #6 of 14 Old May 14th, 2007, 6:03 pm

OK, now you've peaked my interest.
If there's a day that I can't be riding, I might as well take the bike apart.

Is there a noticeable difference in performance?
What is the maintenance schedule for the K&N filter? - How often am I going to need to tear the bike down to clean the filter?
What is the K&N part number for the correct filter?('05-LT) and Where's the best place to order it?

My wife is really starting to not like you guys!

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #7 of 14 Old May 15th, 2007, 2:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josmas
Is there a noticeable difference in performance?
What is the maintenance schedule for the K&N filter? - How often am I going to need to tear the bike down to clean the filter?
What is the K&N part number for the correct filter?('05-LT) and Where's the best place to order it?

My wife is really starting to not like you guys!
I noticed no difference in performance
Should be around 25-30k miles if it is like the auto K&N's I bought and you could go longer if not in a dusty area.
Best place to order it is Advance auto (on line) it was $48 there when I ordered it...and $35 for a paper BMW filter from the stealer.
The main reason I got one was the service interval and that it was a one time cost of $48 vs a yearly cost of $35 from a dealer for disposable paper ones.
post #8 of 14 Old May 15th, 2007, 5:31 am

I had a K&N in my 2000LT for around 90,000 miles. My service manager, whom I trust, told me alot of dust was getting through the filter and that I was sandblasting my engine. He recommended I go back to the paper filter, which I did.

Amsoil is making dry EaAM nanofiber air filters for most Harley's and Goldwings. These are superior in every way to wet gauze and paper filters and will reduce maintenance. They are making them in order of demand. I and a few others have asked for them for our K1200's. If many others would do the same, I'm sure we could see them for our bikes.
post #9 of 14 Old May 15th, 2007, 8:41 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
I noticed no difference in performance
+1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
I had a K&N in my 2000LT for around 90,000 miles. My service manager, whom I trust, told me alot of dust was getting through the filter and that I was sandblasting my engine. He recommended I go back to the paper filter, which I did.
I had heard the same thing. I recently had the airbox off and there was dust on the sides of the downtubes. I did not have an OEM filter, so I cleaned and oiled the K&N and reinstalled it, but it is out of there at my next maintenance session. Anyone want a good used cleaned and oiled K&N?

Quote:
Amsoil is making dry EaAM nanofiber air filters for most Harley's and Goldwings. These are superior in every way to wet gauze and paper filters and will reduce maintenance. They are making them in order of demand. I and a few others have asked for them for our K1200's. If many others would do the same, I'm sure we could see them for our bikes.
Who do I call or email, Tim?

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #10 of 14 Old May 15th, 2007, 9:07 am

Quote:

I had a K&N filter in a car I drove. At a GTG (get together) we had, one of the guys took it out and into the kitchen. He then poured table salt on the filter and shook it through. Made a mess on the counter. Did the same thing with a stock air filter and no salt would pass through.
Who do we ask about the Amsoil filter?

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 14 Old May 15th, 2007, 10:00 am

You can contact Amsoil at Technical Support:
(715) 399-TECH. Ask them to make a formal request in your behalf to make the EaOM filter for BMW K1200LT motorcycles. Tell them several members of this site would like to purchase them.

Use this link to email them. http://www.amsoil.com/techservices.aspx .

You can read about this filter at http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databullet...35_rev6_06.pdf .

If everyone would do this, we would surely get this much needed filter.
post #12 of 14 Old May 15th, 2007, 12:52 pm

K&N Filter BM-1299

I've been using K&N filters for years on my sports bikes and I find they provide only a modest if any improvement for sports bikes so I generally do not change to K&N until the first service. I put a K&N filter on my LT at 16k and found it provided a significant improvement in performance. The LT is much smoother and accelerates noticeably better with a K&N air filter. I am also generally riding in taller gears than I was before. Other LT riders I ride with have the same experience. K&N sells air filter oil that you need to use every service including the first so if you put the filter in get the oil. The LT filter also needs to be properly installed with a air filter sealer grease, it comes in the box with the filter for the first application. I generally cut the manufacturers service periods (20K) in half, with the LT that's 10K between cleaning and reinstall but you don't have to. I have no issues with anything getting through the filter. A K&N filter does not void the BMW warranty so come to your own conclusions.

Most of my riding is two up off the highway, in canyons, hills and mountains so I am on and off the throttle a lot. There is a noticeable improvement in throttle response and gear selection with the K&N filter.

For the money this is the best performance improvement you can buy for your LT.
post #13 of 14 Old May 15th, 2007, 1:59 pm

Tom - I'm glad the K&N is working for you.

I have a hard time buying into buying a K&N for the performance thing, unless you have done other modifications that would require increased air flow. Even the stock air filters allow more air flow than the engine can use. Even with the increased performance of the 2005 and newer LT's, the airbox and filter were unchanged.
post #14 of 14 Old May 15th, 2007, 4:19 pm

K&N

I don't work for K&N, I'm relating my experience on my LT. Increased air flow improves the performance of any gas engine, it's not magic. In the long run the economics of the K&N work out even if you don't notice the performance difference however if you like the stock filter keep using it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in