Security Lock-out after Battery change. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 13th, 2007, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

Post Security Lock-out after Battery change.

My K1200LT set over the winter and the battery went down. Recharged it and still not envy to start it. Replaced the battery and still won't start. A dealer I found gave me a reprogram 18 step instruction to reset the security system after informing me that the bike will go into a security lock-out if the battery power goes to low. But it isn't helping, as the instructions says the bike will beep ect at different stages of the instructions. It dose nothing. Has anyone had this problem before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 14th, 2007, 6:34 am
Gold Supporter

Copy Request

I would like a copy of the 18 steps the dealer gave you. Can you email or fax to me at 800-507-8621? Maybe you could post it.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #3 of 5 Old May 14th, 2007, 7:37 am

Has the alarm gone off while you were trying to start it? Is there any electrical activity at all? Does the key fob do anything?

I was pretty much stuck in MT after some repairs at the dealer because I didn't have the key fob. Once the battery is diconnected, the bike goes back into it's standard alarm mode. I now know there is a way to reprogram the alarm without the fob, but you still have to know the PIN.

I am trying to determine if it really is the alarm that is the problem, or if you have a larger electrical issue. Not that I think I will be able to solve it, but at least I'll get the conversation going.

post #4 of 5 Old May 14th, 2007, 9:18 am

I had the dealer disable my key fob because one went bad and I did not want to have the second go out as well. It is nice just putting the key in the ignition switch and going without having to fiddle with the key fob every time. I am not worried about the security because anyone who can pick this thing up and carry it away needs it more than I do. That is what insurance is for.
SP
post #5 of 5 Old May 14th, 2007, 6:53 pm

My alarm is disabled normally too. I have to turn it on with the remote. The bad news is that the "disable" does not stick. If the battery goes dead, or gets disconnected, the alarm will be back in "armed" mode. You won't be able to start the bike, even if you have the key. You'll need the fob, or the super secret PIN and the incredibly complex method to input it. I was 1000+ miles from home when I found this out and I didn't have the fob or the PIN or the way to input it.

Every LT owner should be aware of it. Lots are, but I think lots aren't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in