Tail light modulators - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 13th, 2007, 10:40 am Thread Starter

Tail light modulators

I have a '05 LT and would like to install some type of tail light modulator. On my '02 GS I am running Hyper-lites and the Kisan Tailblazer. I really like that set-up. But I have heard the ABS is more sensitive on the '05 and later BMW's. Was wondering what others were running?

As always thanks in advance. This site is a great resource.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 13th, 2007, 10:42 am

If you have the luggage rack with the LED light bar, you can get a Kissan tailblazer unit designed specifically for that. It only flashes that bar with their "decay" pattern (starts out fast, then slows down to steady - you can then release the brakes and re-apply to get it to repeat).

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old May 13th, 2007, 10:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The only lamp that is monitored by the brake system is the center bulb, low wattage element. If you leave that lamp alone you should be alright. In fact I used a small electronic flasher tied to the brake lamps that fed the center bulb high wattage element with no problems.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 7 Old May 13th, 2007, 11:38 am

Lightbulb

On my 05 I installed the LED Taillight Conversion kit from BRAKE! designed for the LT and it works as advertised.

I am looking at the box and there is a sticker from Sierra BMW Motorcycle, part# BK0106. The list price is $199.95, but I bought mine from a member of this forum.

The installation is very simple. Remove the existing bulb sockets after noting which color was the wire for the taillight and which was the brake light. I had to make the opening on the taillight a little bigger in order to install the new LED sockets using sand-paper, which was very easy, and the total install time was less than 30 minutes and I was taking my time. The blinking rate is adjustable via a dip switch on the socket that mounts in the center position.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #5 of 7 Old May 13th, 2007, 12:50 pm

I second the vote for the BRAKE! conversion. I also picked mine up from Sierra but after the install (which upset my abs system) I had to call the manufacturer who immediatly sent me a small resistor that fixed the issue.
Side note -- I drove to California to buy this and then found out that they are made in Canada (Vancouver I believe). Would that qualify as making us Canucks famous . EH
post #6 of 7 Old May 13th, 2007, 6:38 pm

Tail light modulators

I have a 2003 LTC on which I installed the Kisan Tailblazer. Simple to install and has worked well since the day of installation. If you decide to use this one be sure to read the remarks on this forum for installation. Unless Kisan has changed the installation instructions since I last saw them they are a little misleading. The forum help will make it easy for you.

No regrets from me on the Kisan. It's added feature is that it keeps the light bar on the luggage rack illuminated all of the time for better visibility. The brake light blinks rapidly once applied and graduates to a solid brake light.

All in all, pretty cool.

BuddyP
"The Carolinas"
2003 LTC "Black Beauty"
aka "Tha Motha Ship"
post #7 of 7 Old May 13th, 2007, 7:20 pm

John Zeiler failed to mention: the electronic flasher tied to the center bulb high wattage element is ** really cheep ** compared to the other alternatives - only cost is an electronic directional signal flasher. I like it.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in