Coolest Jacket Update - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 12th, 2007, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Coolest Jacket Update

Hi Gang,

My local dealer (Carolina BMW) let me test a few of his jackets. I certainly don't want to call my test rides the definitive jacket comparison. But after riding with them I decided on the BMW "Venting Machine" made by BMW Motorrad.

While the jacket offers excellent riding protection, this is not an all weather jacket. Its black, trimmed with silver, so standing still in the sun gets warm. Also, it doesn't come with a liner, but no problem, I have warm leathers and rain suits. It's expensive even with my dealer's 30% off sale.

The jacket's main virtue is that riding with it is like riding behind a screen door!

Smith
'05 Dark Graphite
Greensboro, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 12th, 2007, 1:57 pm

Congrats on finding one you like (that's always the hardest part) I finally settled on a FirstGear mesh/tex armored jacket. Like you describe, once moving it is like wearing a screen door, very comfortable in the hot GA summer.
post #3 of 5 Old May 12th, 2007, 7:16 pm

I have a phase change vest that has four cold packs in the front and four in the back... it works great in hot weather. The problem is that the packs only stay cold for about 1.5 hours. They will freeze back very quickly if you happen to carry an ice chest on your bike (they freeze at about 65 degrees or so). Since they are 65 degrees when they are froze, they just keep you cool. It's not the same has having ice in your jacket.

I have also heard of guys stopping at convenience stores and asking if they could put the phase change packs in the freezer while they filled up, but that seems like a lot of trouble to me. During hot weather, I have considered putting a hitch mounted ice chest carrier and filling it up with ice and water... that way I could ride cool by simply re-freezing the phase change packs about every hour and a half. They would freeze very fast immersed in that cold ice water... and I would get to ride cool

post #4 of 5 Old May 13th, 2007, 7:23 am
Gold Supporter

Thumbs up Love the Venting Machines

We bought two Venting Machine jackets when we bought our bike. We ware them all the time. If it rains or gets a little chilly we just a nylon rain suit that breaths but is water proof over it and we are good to go. We still have the armor and the nylon blocks the wind and rain. When it is cold we different weight fleece jackets or even electric vests that will fit under the Venting Machine that give us warmth. This gives us very practical layers to adjust to changing weather and temperatures.

I wish they had pants that worked and looked like the jacket.

The armor is a little bulky when you pack it in the bike when you stop to visit something but we can get two jacket in the one side bag and helmets in the trunk. That way we can walk unencumbered and blend in with the crowd when we are off the bike.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #5 of 5 Old May 13th, 2007, 12:17 pm

I bought my wife one made by Olympia and she loves it. It comes with a liner that makes it warmer and dry when you need it. It was about half the price of similar BMW gear, like the airflow that I have, and I got it at my dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in